What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

is diabetes higher in stoners?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I've always been omniverous - like sweet things - but not everything - though never had this sugar-junkie disease - sounds awful - DIABETES.

My advice is to stay away from any coke/soda/pop - and only have half a teaspoon of sugar in tea/coffee max - and those sugar cereals - naaaaa!

* <He says while tucking into an almond croissant>

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
As a diabetic (type2) yes it is lifestyle related. That being said, the proper strain and a decent diet will pay dividends. In a yr, I lost 52lbs and brought my AIC from 9.3 to 5.1

PS: Research your strains and avoid those that promote "eating".

Spaventa

Veteran
I’m same Gypsy. I’ve noticed it more as I get older. I want less sweet things, less spiced and rich food. I want simple whole food, minimal prep, natural always, organic if I can.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yep - plenty of fat Jumbo Irish Porridge Oats - with prunes today -

Then later - left over Chinese beef in black-bean sauce - with brown rice.

I rarely touch the booze - and don't drink soda's or much juice.
Coffee is my thing I suppose?

I’m same Gypsy. I’ve noticed it more as I get older. I want less sweet things, less spiced and rich food. I want simple whole food, minimal prep, natural always, organic if I can.

S

Sertaiz

i have weighed 150 for a very long time but if we are going to be honest have had hemmorhoids before and still do inside from overeating and sitting, i am assuming.
so before i get fat things will fall apart inside, i am learning.
one skinny guy i met said he took 4 years to get his liver health back.
i am struggling to control my eating habits daily,
it is my biggest struggle in life right now.

white sugar is everywhere, i had a short run trying to rid my body of candida albicans and gave up. It felt great though.

I find people in my life are the biggest problem, i am well over buying iced honey buns 6 at a time, microwaving them and then jamming them in all my pockets for warmth and eventual eating

people take it emotionally, and so do i, i was raised like that, meals were always our most together moments as a family when i was young.

if i can get health conscious people around me i can happily contribute, but it goes the other way too.

edit- i think its also a cultural thing, like people might look at me funny in other countries and put the food away, but in the US everyone laughs and says have some more.

DrDee

Sertaiz,
I grew up in an environment of high sugar and salt use. 50s American diet. But as the 60s rolled on...I rejected those unhealthy lifestyle choices. But society as a whole did not change.

That's the problem...what you do with your diet at home may be unavailable while away from home.

I adopted a no added sugar and no added salt...and have managed to avoid DM2 and have kept my BP within normal range. And I turn 70 in three weeks.

It takes awhile to shrug off a sugar or salt addiction...but eventually your body adapts. A fast, as mentioned earlier, will provide information on what your body is capable of.

But with processed sugar...sorry man, you just have to say no. Eat a banana instead.
JD

Spaventa

Veteran
Yep - plenty of fat Jumbo Irish Porridge Oats - with prunes today -

Then later - left over Chinese beef in black-bean sauce - with brown rice.

I rarely touch the booze - and don't drink soda's or much juice.
Coffee is my thing I suppose?

Ahhh me too... big time. If I worked it out and told you, you’d say I need help. The plunger in my cafetière goes up and down like a yo-yo. Haven’t drunk instant for years THAT shit is poison. Nestle are depop tool, it’s come out.

Gry

Used to eat a 'normal' American diet.
When cancer showed up,
changed diet and lifestyle quickly.
More difficult quitting sugar,
than meat, opiates and tobacco
combined.
Still use 2 pounds a month in my tea.
Only time I feel good about it is as I fill hummer feeders.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Congrats Switcher56 on your improved health!

Diabetes runs in my family so ive always been health conscious, and ive had intestinal tumours removed. Crazy thing is I was running 10 miles a day, hitting the gym for 2 hours on top of that along with eating 90% fruit and vegetables only when i developed the intestinal tumours. The post op from the hospital explained areas of the world that dont eat processed foods have much lower digestive tumour/cancer rates. Mentioning things like bleached grains (white bread) being bad for digestive health.

Oats/Grains/breads/cereals/crackers in general (not just bleached white) are what caused my tumours, i found out later about the glyphosate (chemical used in roundup weed killer) content found in USA grown grains and food products. In the USA its common practice for farmers to spray (saturate) grain crops and sugarcane with Roundup as a desiccant a few weeks prior to harvest to preserve it, which means right before its made into food its drenched in Roundup.

My understanding is that cancer and tumours form from bad cell division so eliminating any unnecessary storage or growth in your body helps reduce the chances.

Last edited:

dddaver

Veteran
Moderation in all things. I like Skittles. I just don't wanna eat a pound every night.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Moderation in all things.

There is a great documentary called Food Choices that investigates how the foods we eat affect our body.

Another good documentary about food and how vitamins interact with our body called Vitamania (skip the cheesy musical bits haha, great info)

In reference to the kids with adhd all needing medication, the documentary Take Your Pills is great info and gives the history from the creation of Adderall and Ritalin to the first trials on high school students lol.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Congrats Switcher56 on your improved health!

Diabetes runs in my family so ive always been health conscious, and ive had intestinal tumours removed. Crazy thing is I was running 10 miles a day, hitting the gym for 2 hours on top of that along with eating 90% fruit and vegetables only when i developed the intestinal tumours. The post op from the hospital explained areas of the world that dont eat processed foods have much lower digestive tumour/cancer rates. Mentioning things like bleached grains (white bread) being bad for digestive health.

Oats/Grains/breads/cereals/crackers in general (not just bleached white) are what caused my tumours, i found out later about the glyphosate (chemical used in roundup weed killer) content found in USA grown grains and food products. In the USA its common practice for farmers to spray (saturate) grain crops and sugarcane with Roundup as a desiccant a few weeks prior to harvest to preserve it, which means right before its made into food its drenched in Roundup.

My understanding is that cancer and tumours form from bad cell division so eliminating any unnecessary storage or growth in your body helps reduce the chances.
Thank you sir :tiphat: My Dr does not approve what I am doing. She has :moon: kissed it. She is not happy with me but.... can't refute MY results. Take your pills and shove 'em :)

S

Sertaiz

thank you all its refreshing to talk about health.

I was one of those kids tested for add and put on drugs, it lasted until they found me trading the meds for herb because i didnt want to take them

Sign

thank you all its refreshing to talk about health.

I was one of those kids tested for add and put on drugs, it lasted until they found me trading the meds for herb because i didnt want to take them

You were a smart kid.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah - they put me on HALOPERIDOL when I was in my teens - because they said I was 'mal-adjusted' - which led to me being more of a zombie than anything - so I threw those pills away and found cannabis resin (Moroccan/Lebanese Hash) when I was 15 - and that sorted out any 'mal-adjustments' I might have had.

dddaver

Veteran

I just skimmed by this last night and didn't read it. But reading now this scares the shit out if me. Should anyone.

Do you know this to be true? How? And Roundup is a weed killer. Why would anyone use it as a desiccant? There are plenty of other ways of doing that. Actually most produce is sold by weight. Wouldn't farmers like the higher profits to be got from selling the heavier produce that have water content?

I eat oatmeal with hemp powder with frozen wild blueberries on it and mix in Smucker's Natural Crunchy peanut butter (ingredients: salt, peanuts) before nuking it for breakfast every morning. The sphincter muscle that is at the top of everyone's stomach is supposed to close to hold the stomach contents in. Mine doesn't close. That causes bad acid reflux. So have taken Prilosec every morning since the early 90s.

Do you have any real hard scientific data to support these claims? If not, and not just some YouTube videos, your claims are very irresponsible and instigating. To the point of slander. I will be researching this.

I'm NO fan of Monsanto or Roundup by any means. In fact I think they're evil. But just like most, I prefer being told the truth.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I dont recommend eating GMO foods either as they have been linked to abnormal digestive system growth and problems as well. My family has worked in the Farm produce industry for going on 60 years, I have alot of pride in the information i provide people about the food they eat.

Celiac disease, and, more generally, gluten intolerance, is a growing problem worldwide, but especially in North America and Europe, where an estimated 5% of the population now suffers from it. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, macrocytic anemia and depression. It is a multifactorial disease associated with numerous nutritional deficiencies as well as reproductive issues and increased risk to thyroid disease, kidney failure and cancer. Here, we propose that glyphosate, the active ingredient in the herbicide, Roundup®, is the most important causal factor in this epidemic. Fish exposed to glyphosate develop digestive problems that are reminiscent of celiac disease. Celiac disease is associated with imbalances in gut bacteria that can be fully explained by the known effects of glyphosate on gut bacteria. Characteristics of celiac disease point to impairment in many cytochrome P450 enzymes, which are involved with detoxifying environmental toxins, activating vitamin D3, catabolizing vitamin A, and maintaining bile acid production and sulfate supplies to the gut. Glyphosate is known to inhibit cytochrome P450 enzymes. Deficiencies in iron, cobalt, molybdenum, copper and other rare metals associated with celiac disease can be attributed to glyphosate's strong ability to chelate these elements. Deficiencies in tryptophan, tyrosine, methionine and selenomethionine associated with celiac disease match glyphosate's known depletion of these amino acids. Celiac disease patients have an increased risk to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which has also been implicated in glyphosate exposure. Reproductive issues associated with celiac disease, such as infertility, miscarriages, and birth defects, can also be explained by glyphosate.Glyphosate residues in wheat and other crops are likely increasing recently due to the growing practice of crop desiccation just prior to the harvest. We argue that the practice of “ripening” sugar cane with glyphosate may explain the recent surge in kidney failure among agricultural workers in Central America. We conclude with a plea to governments to reconsider policies regarding the safety of glyphosate residues in foods.

Source Link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/

More Information with link to source below pictures:

New scientific evidence shows that probable harm to human health could begin at ultra-low levels of glyphosate e.g. 0.1 parts per billions (ppb). Popular foods tested for glyphosate measured between 289.47 ppb and at levels as high as 1,125.3 ppb.

The testing and analysis was performed by Anresco Laboratories, San Francisco, an FDA registered laboratory that has performed expert food safety testing since 1943. The laboratory found that well-known products tested for glyphosate, Original Cheerios, for example, measured levels as high as 1,125.3 ppb. Other high levels of glyphosate were found in familiar products such as Oreos, Doritos, and Ritz Crackers, among 29 foods tested.

Currently, U.S. regulators allow a very high level of daily glyphosate residue in America’s food. The acceptable daily intake (ADI) limit is set at 1.75 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight per day (written 1.75 mg/kg bw/day) in the U.S., versus a more cautious 0.3 mg/kg bw/day in the European Union. Tolerances have been set through the submission of corporate-sponsored studies and industry influence on the regulatory process.

New research shows that Roundup causes liver and kidney damage in rats as reflected in changes in the functions of 4,000 genes at only 0.05 parts per billion (ppb) glyphosate equivalent indicating damage. Additional studies have found that levels as low as 10 ppb can have toxic effects on the livers of fish and cause significant damage to the livers and kidneys of rats at 700 ppb, which is the allowable level of glyphosate found in U.S. drinking water.

Credible independent, peer-reviewed scientific evidence now shows that the levels of harm to human health could begin at the ultra-low levels of 0.1 parts per billion (ppb) of glyphosate. These groundbreaking new findings that one of the most iconic cereals in U.S. contains levels as high as 1,125.3 ppb should be a wake-up call for all Americans regarding unacceptable levels of pesticide residues in our nation’s food. These findings are especially troubling, considering that the latest independent scientific evidence, during which a team of international scientists re-evaluated the same data previously used by regulators, calls for a much lower ADI to be set at 0.025 mg/ kg of bodyweight per day or “12 times lower than the ADI” currently set in Europe and 70 times lower than the level currently allowed by the EPA in the United States.

It’s important for individuals and parents to understand that glyphosate contamination cannot be removed by washing and is not broken down by cooking or baking. Glyphosate residues can remain stable in food for a year or more, even if the foods are frozen or processed.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Source PDF:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.fooddemocracynow.org/images/FDN_Glyphosate_FoodTesting_Report_p2016.pdf

Last edited:

Gry

I just skimmed by this last night and didn't read it. But reading now this scares the shit out if me. Should anyone.

Do you know this to be true? How? And Roundup is a weed killer. Why would anyone use it as a desiccant? There are plenty of other ways of doing that. Actually most produce is sold by weight. Wouldn't farmers like the higher profits to be got from selling the heavier produce that have water content?

I eat oatmeal with hemp powder with frozen wild blueberries on it and mix in Smucker's Natural Crunchy peanut butter (ingredients: salt, peanuts) before nuking it for breakfast every morning. The sphincter muscle that is at the top of everyone's stomach is supposed to close to hold the stomach contents in. Mine doesn't close. That causes bad acid reflux. So have taken Prilosec every morning since the early 90s.

Do you have any real hard scientific data to support these claims? If not, and not just some YouTube videos, your claims are very irresponsible and instigating. To the point of slander. I will be researching this.

I'm NO fan of Monsanto or Roundup by any means. In fact I think they're evil. But just like most, I prefer being told the truth.

In an extremely short period of time this has become a new standard in grain harvesting.
Resulting in a more uniform harvest, it adds 'value'.
The goo is now found in all grain products.
Beer to corn flakes, it's there now.
May be a bit troublesome for those with compromised immune systems.
Economics of morality are poor.