What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's interesting. Lessons learned from the first round show a clear difference when you make a journal like this.

Before flip last round:

picture.php

How things are looking this round:

picture.php

I've learned a bit about these lights. I did say I'd have much better canopy management this round. I stripped all the lowers and cut out a couple branches that weren't performing - no time for wasted growth that won't produce - especially with limited penetration in the first place.

dank.Frank

thailer

Nope. I still want to put a small lip around the frame of the doorway. Just like a 1/2" strip of wood all the way around. That would 1000% ensure there was no possibility of light getting though, but as it is, it's very tight. I have to use my palm to lightly beat it into place.

If I turn off the veg lights, you can see a faint glow if you move your head back and forth, but there are no streams of light even detectable with smoke. All in all, I'm fairly comfortable with the setup as is, knowing I'm not going to face any issues due to light leaks.

I'll get a couple new timers to trigger things so I don't have to worry about doing a manual lights on/off this round too. That will be an understated luxury.

dank.Frank

ive been following your thread for quite a while silently but just wanted to say thank you for all the stuff you and everyone else has been sharing here. each time i pop in to see what you're discussing, i learn new ideas. this particular one though is going to help me quite a bit. the door frame i bought must've been cockeyed or i installed it wrong. So big thanks!! Have a great week!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@thailer - Glad to have you following along. I'm hoping this thread can keep the old forum spirit where we just constantly vibe off one another and all our rooms get better by default. Just look at any standard door frame in your house. These strips are called "stops" when installed and prevent light leaking around the door but also, like their name suggests, stop the door from being pulled open the wrong direction.

In this case, I have 2 x 4 construction and the door is framed out of 1 x 2's and 1/4" plywood. That left a lip around the door frame to install stops, if I choose to do so at some point. They would also prevent me from pushing the door inward, on to the plants.

I never put hinges on the door because I wasn't finished with it. It still needs to be insulated and the intakes cut outs properly finished. I figured when I do that, I can install some stops. If I place a thin weather stripping along the edge of the stop, this will give me a nice bit of tension to place against the door and ensure a snug air tight seal as well.

@Seismic - Glad to have you along. I appreciate it. Not the biggest "room" by any means, but honestly, I can't stand the sound of all the air movement from the vortex. For that reason alone, a tent was out. I wanted to be able to insulate to ensure more stable temps as well. This structure can actually be taken apart in wall sections and carried off and tacked back together. Just takes a reciprocating saw to cut some nails.

The layout itself is a much smaller scale model of gardens past.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Go time. A couple days for the branches to settle themselves and poke through each hole, otherwise, the canopy is basically full already, if not a bit over full. Just want a bit of tension on the screen before flip. Holds things in place better.

picture.php

dank.Frank

nickman

Veteran
Awesome Frank, looks like your gonna have a nice screen of buds this time around...!!!...
I’ve yet to try that yet... but I will do it sooner or later...

I don’t know if I would make single screens for each plant or cover the entire area with a screen... it would all depend on how many plants I had under the screen and if I could reach the pots for each plant when I needed to water them...

I can’t wait to see it fill up ....!!!.... :laughing:...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can’t wait to see it fill up ....!!!.... :laughing:...

You and me both. It was not intentional, however, the grid across the top just happens to be 10 x 10. 100 possible branches / tops. :snap out of it:

I saw your reply and before looking just assumed you'd be asking how the screen was held in place. :biggrin: :laughing:

I have little "hooks" screwed into the side of the bed, turned so the opening to the hook is upside down. The mesh is attached to a hook at each corner, then attached to 8 stakes with zip ties. The stakes are a bit loose yet, but that will fix itself as the plants grow.

(I didn't have all the stakes in yet when I took the picture.) ;)

You ARE right about watering though. I had to cut out a rectangle section along the front edge of the mesh to allow access to the soil surface for watering.

One day, I think I'll be using a rain barrel with an air stone, a small pump, and some drip rings or something similar. Likely not blumats because elevating volumes of water is not really an option, which is necessary for their gravity feed.

dank.Frank

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
i did a scrog once yrs ago when i fist started i made a big ball out of chicken wire the 1" holes and attatched it right to the 3 gal container so it looked like a a globe then i cut a hole for my hand to fit thru while the plant was growing and when it was full i flipped her it sucked come chop time but i had a load of nugs . the chicken wire ball was a lil bigger then a basketball bout 11/2 bigger

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
looks amazing already Frank. was this the 8?

started my run without adjusting the lamp and promptly burned the tops.
i know, too many beers whilst working.
i have 6 backups with room to spare under 1000w that i'm tempted to start soon.
i have no water access and need to haul it in also, so it's hand watering for me too.
carry on!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes. This was the 8. I saw a bit of light burn at first...just some bleaching really. But they adjusted in about 2 days. My lights are about 2' from the tops right now. That's just as long as their chains are, so I haven't moved them at all yet.

dank.Frank

moses wellfleet

Veteran
On the subject of diversity of inputs. I have been building up my soil with entomopathogenic fungi to combat root aphids etc. Beauveria bassiana, metarhizium, amongst others. I was advised to add 2ml per liter molasses when I dosed. I enquired with the manufacturer if I could use fish hydrolysate to do the same job? They said no because b. Bassiana is saprophytic, it lives off dead and decaying plant matter.

So my point is if you rely on blood meal and seabird guano for your nitrogen input and overlook alfalfa meal you may be missing out on some of the hidden benefits of the alfalfa meal beyond the nitrogen it provides. So they told me that the fresher alfalfa is an excellent addition for the saprophytic fungi, as compost is already well into the process of decay. Good to provide matter that is full spectrum!

nickman

Veteran
On the subject of diversity of inputs. I have been building up my soil with entomopathogenic fungi to combat root aphids etc. Beauveria bassiana, metarhizium, amongst others. I was advised to add 2ml per liter molasses when I dosed. I enquired with the manufacturer if I could use fish hydrolysate to do the same job? They said no because b. Bassiana is saprophytic, it lives off dead and decaying plant matter.

So my point is if you rely on blood meal and seabird guano for your nitrogen input and overlook alfalfa meal you may be missing out on some of the hidden benefits of the alfalfa meal beyond the nitrogen it provides. So they told me that the fresher alfalfa is an excellent addition for the saprophytic fungi, as compost is already well into the process of decay. Good to provide matter that is full spectrum!

Good shit Moses.

I can5 even pronounce those names . Lol...

I’m sure that this fungus has no adverse effect on the roots.?.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Good shit Moses.

I can5 even pronounce those names . Lol...

I’m sure that this fungus has no adverse effect on the roots.?.

No absolutely not, in fact quite the contrary. Beauveria bassiana will actually boost your plants. I think there will be some info if you search ISR, induced systemic resistance. I will try find some links for you!

Last edited:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
...on making a hole to water through, instead of that, i used a length of pvc pipe and a connector to attach the top part of a half gallon jug cut in half and glued together to reach all the containers from one spot...like your door Frank. i still hand water by pouring fluid into the jug and pointing the other end where it's needed...saved my moving pots around.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@trichrider - I like your watering idea. Not bad at all. :joint:

We are going to call today day 1 of flower and lights will go out. I knew the canopy was basically full, but I didn't expect things to line up as fast as they did. These plants are showing excellent vigor. Roots tips are poking out the bottom of the bed, through the fabric. Early trichomes are showing on the leaves. The plants are happy and adjusted and ready to perform.

Second screen will go in place, I'm just not entirely sure how far to place it above the first. I'm thinking maybe 14", but I'm not entirely sure. I guess I could always place a third tier around the 12wk Cobalt if necessary.

Any opinions or thoughts on the distance for the second screen?

picture.php

That brings us to the discussion of the next round. This is foreshadowing of what is to come. I've been working on this basic concept for years. You'll see my posts discussing SOG on and off over the decade I've been sharing at ICm. It's always been my dream since Overgrow days to run a true one.

Getting your clones to grow like this requires the right plants and the right container. Tall, narrow pots, without a lot of volume for the roots to spread out, will produce, you guessed it...it also requires keeping the light a good distance from them and making them stretch for it.

The bottom branches that have begun growing would have been stripped to allow all energy to the tops. These would have been donkey city though, by the looks of it!!! At least I know the Cobalt #1 and the Sis x PK could fit the bill.

picture.php

I don't "do IG" but I have visited a few notable pages to see what people have been up to since they aren't posting here. Nspecta, for example, is doing exactly what I'm pursuing in terms of seed sorting. He's growing seeds rapidly like the plants above - thin, single cola stalks in beds, just to pheno hunt.

I guess my old seed whore nature will never be conquered. A very special opportunity has presented itself, and this thread is about to get much more interesting. I keep saying I won't take more seeds, but some opportunities are too sincere to turn down and too rare to not be grateful.

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a bit of a strain lore junkie as well.

The Topanga/Hollywood from what I know is just about the same story. Rooms were being put up in the Hollywood hills and those first runs produced some seeds. The Topanga is one of those seeds. The Topanga was one of the early “unique” OGs for sure. The Skywalker and Topanga were the first ones I felt were different than the original.

Topanga has that sweet limey marshmallow underlying profile while the skywalker was pure lemon pledge OG funk.

I have Topanga Pure Kush S1 seeds. Not many. I gave a few away to F.A.M. but I have a few more. It's one of the earliest OG deviations. It's why I'm so stoked to be running the Sis x PK. A unique Chem/OG pairing that has real potential.

96 the cut comes to LA to josh via Matt.

Josh and Matt grow it in Silverlake. They meet other people blah blah blah.

Cypress hill were one of the first to get a cut. One of joshes friends takes the cut up north to Tahoe and Tahoe OG is born. Sloth gets a cut either in Tahoe or LA and that’s what OGkushman moves throughout LA. Finds seeds which make the face off and poison. Trays are sold to raskal and that’s the fire. Josh sends cut up to Victorville and it becomes the bty. Orgnkid gets it and the OGers/Ghost/etc are born.

BTY s1 seeds are on their way. I can't contain my excitement any longer. :joint:

dank.Frank

nickman

Veteran
Nice score Frank. I remember seeing some pics a while ago of some Victorville OG grown by Smoke Trees if I’m not mistaken. It was some of the nicest and fastest looking OG I’ve seen. Is that Victorville the same as the BTY.?.
Either way, the S1’s should be nice I’d think...!!!...

I’ve seen the pics on IG of Nspecta’s beds as well. They are very nice. I know just what your talking about of how he grows his plants. If I didn’t know better I’d think that they were clones in those beds, the way he has them growing. Just like how you were saying.

I’d think that would be the most efficient way to pheno hunt when one doesn’t have a lot of room.

Me personally, I like to grow the plants out with all their branches and what not. But then again, I’m growing to have some smoke and he’s probably just growing like that do major pheno hunting...

Americangrower

Veteran
Looking good in there brother. Is that temporary safety fence I see there. I remember using that years ago. People telling me it would block to much light. I told them legs were shaved they don't need light, worked great.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@nickman - SmokeTrees grew a lot of OG's but the one he preferred was Valley - different than SFV.

Really, the person I first became aware of BTY through was the guy who now runs South Fork Seeds. BackyardFarmer, was his handle at one time. He has high access and does a great job growing plants, and BTY was of all the OG's he'd run, his favorite. I always made a mental note of that.

When I saw what Jetlife had to share about the cut being sent there and then becoming the BTY, it makes sense why BYF always said it was the purest, truest, best kept OG he'd come across.

It makes BTY S1 rather special and should be considered as close to pure OG as possible without having the Josh D cut - which goes to say, it is perhaps and likely the exact same cut, just impacted by phenotypic plasticity due to different environments.

BYF, always said the BTY was only kept by one person and always kept healthy and always fed the same way. It was not like other cuts - weak or having lost qualities due to being passed between so many rooms, growers, and conditions - or otherwise, just not really OG.

This fits in line with everything that Jetlife has shared in his thread.

The bed is ideal for exactly what you said. I can easily fit 18 - 32 plants in the bed for a great SOG. Really get through some seed that way and find something special faster. I can grow the keepers from the SOG round into larger plants later on to make a better selection. Normally, I agree 100%, but small spaces call for creative solutions.

@Americangrower - Thanks for the good vibes. Yes. I'll use something thinner for the top layer, but I like the rigidity of it and at this point, if the light is blocked, plants will grow towards the opening. I thought that was in part the point - a branch in every hole, or close there to it. I can honestly say, I really night not be far from that. Ultimately, it was available, so it was used. Like you said, for that layer, it won't matter anyway.

I looked at picture upload dates and they have been vegging for right at two weeks. Guess now I know how long it takes.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I notice this is the second time bty has been mentioned so far. Cuz it's not one of the "earlier" renames...it was around....I dunno....09...10? KRD got the cut from....victorville? I can't remember...it was just called kush when he got it. She definitely on my list of all time og cuts...best yielder for smaller size grow areas...best yield of og cuts...not all cuts.

The cut was brought as just kush. That was the only label on it. Then when asked the person who brought it said it was sfv. It did not acquire the bty moniker for many years. I refused to use it at first but when it stuck , I had too. I always thought it arrogant.

Remember, when Matt sent OG to Josh in LA county in '96, it was just called "kush". The OG name didn't stick until later when fakes started showing up.

BTY is as pure an OG as one can get a hold of, without being directly handed the Josh D cut. Sorting S1's of her is going to result in something special being found. Think of this as similar to when Breeder Steve gave 40 OG s1's to be sorted and the OG18 was kept by DNA and Karma Genetics picked another that became the Bear OG line.

I had to snag a couple pictures off IG of BTY for those in the dark. (not my pictures)

picture.php

picture.php

dank.Frank

nickman

Veteran
Remember, when Matt sent OG to Josh in LA county in '96, it was just called "kush". The OG name didn't stick until later when fakes started showing up.

BTY is as pure an OG as one can get a hold of, without being directly handed the Josh D cut. Sorting S1's of her is going to result in something special being found. Think of this as similar to when Breeder Steve gave 40 OG s1's to be sorted and the OG18 was kept by DNA and Karma Genetics picked another that became the Bear OG line.

I had to snag a couple pictures off IG of BTY for those in the dark. (not my pictures)

View Image

View Image

dank.Frank

I friggn love reading and learning about the OG. There’s so many stories behind all the different cuts and what not. But, if you really read into the stories you can pretty much put it all together like Jetlife did. He did a great job on his OG thread. Everything you need to know is all there in his thread, pretty much.
I love looking at pics of nicely grown OG. I love growing OG. I love smoking OG. I just love OG...!!!...

When I was growing pretty much all OG/OG hybrids from Karma, it was lovely. Karma definitely has a sweet spot for OG Kush seed plants. He breeds very nice OG/OG hybrids. Definitely the nicest OG in seed form I’ve ever come across thus far in my growing career.

That’s good to know what Subrob said about the BTY being the nicest/fattest OG cut to grow in smaller rooms.

I do remember BYF. I never knew he was behind South Fork Seeds...

Latest posts

Latest posts