What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2014 Light Dep Project

redlaser

Veteran
No, to add an insulating layer of air. Believe it or not the 24 13w cfls add enough heat to make a difference.

I should've gone with the anti-condensate film, which I have on my 30x60 clearspan. That clear poly is almost dripping in the morning. Roll up the sides and its out though..

Fisher - do you eventually vent the greenhouses at night when the plants are bigger and the nights are warmer?

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
Those were vegged out pretty big. Hard to say how much time..maybe a month. They were to the point where they were sucking water down everyday. There is a pic in my 2014 album titled 'Gorilla Glue #4'. Thats what they looked like at the flip.

Yeah I took a look at the pics. They look great. At this point you've probably gotten good at estimating, do you have an idea of much those 30G's are going to yield with that amount of veg time?

dickcorn

Are you talking about beefing up underside etc? Or actual bullet proofing? What kind of truck? I've never seen you post a pic I diddnt need to stare at for a bit lol.

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
Fisher - do you eventually vent the greenhouses at night when the plants are bigger and the nights are warmer?
Yeah. I've been running intake and exhaust fans the past few years to keep humidity from skyrocketing under the tarp. It works well, except for really hot nights where I wish I could cool. Some of my friends use portable A/C units but I'm off the grid so try to save on power where I can.
Yeah I took a look at the pics. They look great. At this point you've probably gotten good at estimating, do you have an idea of much those 30G's are going to yield with that amount of veg time?
I'd guess 12-16 ounces. Let you know in a month!

It feels great to be on track with with healthy, boosting plants. While just about everything I'm doing this season is light dep, I'm still going to put out 12 in the trenches for full term. I have some 'Green Ribbon' a friend gave me, has anyone grown it before?

Last edited:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
my old neighbors in Boulder Creek grow the green ribbon pretty exclusively, i don't know much about it except it finishes pretty quickly and gets big.

monster plants in trenches nice... how big are your full season plants right now? when are you planting them, also how much soil do you use for your trenches, like 2 yards per plant or more?

the greenhouses are in beast mode btw, sweet

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
Cool. I'll probably throw them in. Thanks for the feedback.. You can see the full term starts in the bottom pic. I just put them into 5 gallon bags and will let them grow into those. If the weather is nice in about a week I'll probably plug em. With supplemental lighting of course. The trenches are pretty full right now. Like 30 yards each. I put six plants per.

joe-brand

I gave green ribbon. Ive only scene it grown small in a winter greenhouse.

Its bomb way better then green crack. I looks like a huge yielder its way chunky and very vgorous

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
Big up. Nice timing.

You've got the black out trip down pat...

Can't wait to try some Glue!!
Thank you man. Oh yeah..timing with the full term babies is soooo important. Somehow it worked out how I wanted. Waiting to hear how your project is going.
Do you have pest problems? What do you use as preventatives if any?
Spider mites can take over a greenhouse in no time. Especially flowering out in the heat of the summer. I find it's even more important to stay on top of things in this situation. All my clones get dunked in Forbid 4F when they are cut. I'll spray once or twice during veg and again at the flip. Then cross my fingers. I hate mites. Everything is super clean now.
what are you using for power ?
Honda eu6500is. It's the smallest I would want to run for a project like this. A good diesel would be better suited and allow for more environmental control.
I gave green ribbon. Ive only scene it grown small in a winter greenhouse.

Its bomb way better then green crack. I looks like a huge yielder its way chunky and very vgorous
Great to hear, sounds like they may do well! Thanks JB.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Hey Bro ,

My project is coming along. The Gale Force frames with all the bells and whistles take a bit of time and finesse to assemble and the automated black out is an undertaking of its own. I had to change gears from building to full term prep. Pretty soon I'll get back up on building my green houses and once I do, it'll be all I have to work on besides keeping things happy so it will move fairly quick.

Overall I've been really happy with EGS. Their product is good quality, they have great customer support and service. Their shipping and organizational skills leave much to be desired. I still haven't received my light traps or black out material...

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
The Gale Force frames with all the bells and whistles take a bit of time and finesse to assemble and the automated black out is an undertaking of its own.
I can imagine. You have a lot on your plate there but I know you'll get it done and done right. EGS was on point in my dealings with them, although I picked up the order myself. I can totally sympathize with you over not yet having received those parts. Dang.

Super windy day here and I'm sure it's blowing even harder up on the ridge. It'd be hard to make work without the greenhouses.

Last edited:

joe-brand

do you guys ever dig down 5 to 8 foot trenches one to two in each greenie. from one end two the other berry 12 inch or bigger flexible culvert. Have the pipe come out of the ground on each end cover the trenches then add large cfm fans on one end of each culvert. Air cools your greenhouse with the cold underground air. Kinda like the wineries keeping there wine in caves they dig 65 degree temps. Its pretty cool way of coolin your greenhouse without a/c. Ive seen on in honeydew that was rad and also panther gap.

not sure how deep you need to go think the temp hits a steady temp at 4 or 5 feet

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
I dig the idea, but we didn't dig the trenches! I've heard of this technique being used before. I'm all about efficient heating/cooling. Will keep it in mind for future projects. Nice one.

joe-brand

hey think link is to a kinda shitty site lot of info but laid out all over the place. how many plant per hoop and when will start pulling tarps? all hand pulled