What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MI 4,000sq ft outdoor grow SHO

Dkgrower

Veteran
If you can grow good weed indoors -you be very happy to discover that greenhouse growing is 10 times more easy to operate...

A well planned ventilation system is very crucial to success in the greenhouse, also if you don't stack the greenhouse with plants the extra volume in a large greenhouse will buffer the humidity...

Think about dust - greenhouse plants can collect a lot off dust if you have open soil surfaces, fans, the intake should also be filtered

sho

Veteran
Right now my plans aren't moving :( ... buying land has proven to be a far bigger annoyance than I can muster. Looking at leasing options from local farmers right now, and to use a kit house so I can pack up after harvest time and give the farmer his land back.

sho

Veteran
Guess what?! This is back on track ... had to update. Found 10 acres of old farm land and I'm working out the terms of the land contract right meow!

sho

Veteran
Signed a purchase agreement and made a formal offer this morning. It'll be mine by end of month.

Soil is mostly sandy loam, which sounds like it's perfect. Water table below 80", plenty of room for big root systems and plenty of drainage.

I'll be quitting my day job for this guys... I've moved from using an enclosed plastic house to a 42-50' x 96' pole building with 10-12' walls. I'll roof it and concrete the floor in the fall and turn it into a massive indoor grow and processing center for future years. Fence 3 sides off of the pole barn I build and then add in my plastic roll-side greenhouses inside of what is otherwise a secure area.

Man I'm excited... just got into work, I doubt I'll do any actual "work" today but instead be spending all my time working on my building blueprints :cool:

EDIT: OFFER ACCEPTED!!!

Last edited:

sho

Veteran
To anyone still paying attention -- submitted my credit application to get a hoop house. Going to dig some holes on the property today and check the ground out.

MY QUESTION TO YOU ALL IS --

Hoop House or Pole Building? I can build a 42 x 81 pole barn for about $5k and leave off the roof. Or I can spent $12-14k with FarmTek and get a BADASS greenhouse, which I'll need to fence in at a cost of about $3k. Mind you I'm not living at this property. The pole building would double for security with steel walls, but alas the sound would have to be directly overhead to really intense light in.

I'm so stressed, even my freshly cut indoor crop isn't touching it. I'm just a 24 year old guy throwing his first $25,000 into the wind hoping for a good year. Man, it sucks !

ceosam

we're still here sho

was in that EXACT spot (age & investment) last year for indoor... got my door kicked in by a ripper and took my whole crop. pretty much bankrupted us, we were close to a much need first harvest

go the farmtek, fence, dogs... its a jungle out there & im still paying people back

sho

Veteran
I just got that first real harvest of indo down, ultimately that'll keep paying the bills all summer long (I'll keep 36 ish inside, put my other 24-36 outside).

My girl's uncle lives 4 houses down, down the road, so I've got 24/7 security VERY close by. Also gonna park a camper there in September and put a few watchmen on in shifts.

Ever figure out who ripped you? You have investors then now that you're still paying people back?

thaistick55

Watching closely sho.... I am trying to finish up my 30x50 diy greenhouse....need this rain to quit.

If I were you, I would be extremely nervous if not living on site, regardless if either a greenhouse or pole barn. The metal sides of the pole barn would limit the amount of light, especially in the morning and evenings.

What are you thinking about fencing? 6-8ft chainlink with the privacy screening slats is what I am think about for the future.

sho

Veteran
I'm fucking sick of our weather... the pole bars do limit but you just set your plants 10' on center from the walls and I don't know of anyone whos really had a problem.

5/4" 8' treated deck boards. It'll be an 8' shadow box fence. Chainlink is almost double the cost.

I'll live on site come September -- for sure -- or pay my people for shift work out there.

sho

Veteran
Blam, approved for financing a 35x96.

I'll be heading to Iowa very, very soon :cool:

Scrapped 2 idea, can't handle that many plants... just doing one.

Last edited:

sho

Veteran
So here's my To-Do list for the next 2 weeks

TODAY - Signing closing paperwork on property
5/24 - start laying out land, getting my transiet
Week of 5/26 - Get my spot to build leveled
5/30 - Head to Iowa to pick up greenhouse kit
6/2 - Taking week off of work for assembly of kit, renting an auger for my holes and getting a cement truck instead of hand mixing 272 bags of quick-crete (approx 4 yards needed)
6/7 - My kit should be mostly assembled by now, start prepping my holes for growing (35 of them)
6/11 - Start fence install, plants should either be IN the greenhouse and just not rolling sides up for "security"

I will take LOTS and LOTS of photos, and hopefully give you guys a better idea of how much work one of these shacks is.

sho

Veteran
I've been errwhurr man, crossed the rolling hills and Mississippi man... 6 hours Google said, 9 hours it was. Construction.

I will say, FarmTek is probably the COOLEST place I've ever been. We got the grand tour of all their educational buildings from the Vice President of Operations in Iowa. Told him what I was doing, and he was all for it! Guess selling 100's of kits to guys doing what we do, makes legalization seem like a pretty good idea to a farm supply company.

Here's my building site
xCblBQM.jpg

Building site leveled
76VqniD.jpg

Bit more dirt work and a long-zoom shot with the greenhouse kit dropped off
gXJSP8B.jpg

And 2 dozen Conquest and Strawberry Kush seeds started
Am0eyP8.jpg

More pics coming... I've got LOTS to do. Starting with getting a mother-fucking permit. Building and Zoning say I'm a "hobby farm" not an agricultural producer.

ubi

zoning...
fun fun
Looks awesome!!!!!! i have drooled over so many things on that farmtek website.
nice to know they are located in iowa.
not to far for me.
i should be gettin my financing by mid july......
moutain house with high altitude greenhouse.. mawhaahaa...

sho

Veteran
34 posts pounded, no pics cuz I can't remove exif data on my phone.

Long 2 days setting posts by myself, don't expect your friends to show up to one of these parties.

catalyte

Veteran
thnx for posting.

i will tag along for the ride to see if i can learn something. would love to do this in the future!

silver hawaiian

Veteran
sho

Glad to have you as a reference & example for us fellow mitteneers!

Could you share with us what the experience has been like so far with the locals? I don't expect you to share what county you're in, but what's the sort of gut climate over there?

I'm surprised you bought the GH first, and then applied for the permit -- I'd have figured lock down the permit, then write the check? Just in case anything gets sketch along the way of the permit process..? That's why I asked the first couple questions -- just curious what kind of looks/eyeballs you're getting along the way. :)

You should've told the post-pounding invitees that the invitation was also accompanied by an invitation for post-harvest-smokedown. :laughing:

sho

Veteran
I thought I was agricuktural from the start, I've been hard at it guys. 8hr days on a tow behind snorkel lift setting shittons of steel. I'll update pics when I'm back at work! Sunday I want to pull the cover

CARE giver

Sour Bubble Connoisseur
Veteran
Nice bro :good:.

Ida spent that money in a douthern state if it were me personally. All year round!