What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

first vertical grow, ventilation tips :)

sluch

hey guys, i have a 8x8 tent, and now im callculating air exchange

so the basic setup would be smth like this in the picture (its not mine)
filter - 6inch cool tube - 6 inch fan
attachment.php

as i found this formula :

Step 1: Room Volume
First the volume of the room needs to be calculated. To calculate multiply length x width x height of growing area e.g. A room that is 8' x 8' x 8' will have a volume of 512 cubic feet.
Step 2: CFM Required
Your extraction fan should be able to adequately exchange the air in an indoor garden once every three minutes. Therefore, 512 cubic feet / 3 minutes = 171 CFM. This will be the absolute minimum CFM for exchanging the air in an indoor garden.
Step 3: Additional factors
Unfortunately, the minimum CFM needed to ventilate a indoor garden is never quite that simple. Once the grower has calculated the minimum CFM required for their indoor garden the following additional factors need to be considered:
Number of HID lights — add 5% per air cooled light or 10-15% per non-air cooled light.
CO2: add 5% for rooms with CO2 enrichment
Filters: if a carbon filter is to be used with the exhaust system then add 20%

so, as my room is 8x8x6.5 its 416 cubic feet i believe, devided by 3 = 139 CFM i believe
ill have 2 lights , i dont know are they considered cooled or not, but lets count it as yes 139x0.10= 13cfm
and a filter , so its 139x0.20=27CFM
temp and humidity is ok
to sum up, its 139+13+27= 179CFM

and as i got this right, my fave Soler & Palau 500m3/h vent is (1m3/h = 0.588CFM) 500x0.588=294CFM ...

what do u think about my calculations guys? :) yes i am super noob :D

Attachments

• vert.jpg
    vert.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 11

Dr.RedWhite

Well I know people use their filters as you have yours set up but I like to have my exhaust sucking the hot air from the top of the room and sucking in cool air from the bottom pulling said air thru and around the plants. I also like to have a fan blowing straight up on the bulb. In your space with your fan I am not sure you will need the cool tube. 294 CFM should be enough depending on the temp of incoming air.

Skyrancher

Assuming the air moving through a cool tube or vented hoods is exhausted outside your room, then yes, your lights considered "cooled". Cooled lights have ducting and fans connected to them to run relatively cool outside air over and around bulbs, then exhaust the heated air outside the grow room.

If you haven't found this already, have a look at Ventilation 101 and a couple other links.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=112862

http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/heat-management-in-grow-rooms/

http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/controlling_heat.asp

coldcanna

Veteran
Personally I wouldn't want the filter down low because its bound to get wet and dirty which is not gonna help your case at all, put that thing up high and have a small fan on the floor under your light. And whatever the CFM's turns out to be for your room size, always buy a size or 2 bigger than what you need now, because if your like the rest of us here I'd give it about 4 months and you'll be itching to move up :)