What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I've never put plants out this late.. A couple ??s

Marcellas

Veteran
Hey guys, FINALLY got them out tonight, all 12 of them... About 2 weeks or 10 days or so since the flowering cycle usually begins, for plants in my area (43n).

Luckily, most of my plants that have been vegging in my windowsill under natural sunlight, have mostly all shown FEMALE pre-flowers!! I think it may have something to do with me leaving them in my windowsill so late into the season??
... But it seems for me, from the few seasons I have under my belt: the later I put my plants outside, the higher chance of them being female! Odd!! Only 1 show had male pre-flowers and was murdered instantly :eek:

They have grown in my windowsill since birth/germination, and get great direct sunlight for the first half of the day or so - but I have to lower them closer to the ground as they get bigger, to keep them from being visible from outside. So only the tops have been getting light lately, and a lot of the lower leaves/branches died off.. So at least half of the plants, especially taller ones, have only a few branches left at the tops. These are mostly from seeds that I've made myself outdoors of the years (Sour Bubble, Blueberry, local crosses, ect..)

And I was low on soil so when I put them outside, so a lot of them were sitting low in the ground.. I usually like them slightly elevated to prevent flooding. One plant, I ran out of soil for and had to use as much natural soil as I could for it lol. I watered them all lightly with some slightly fertilized water

Now I know that since I put them outside over 2 MONTHS later than I usually do, and planned to, they didn't get time to veg outside in the ground, so this will definitely effect my potential yield.. And especially since they've been stuck growing in Styrofoam beer-cups since germination until I transplanted them in the ground today.
.... But will I get at least maybe an ounce or 2 total yield from 11 or 12 smaller sized girls, put outside over 2 weeks since flowering began??

I will take pics for you all to get a better idea, to help me predict my yield (I know, so many of these threads lol).. But most of them are about 1-2 feet tall, lanky plants with not a lot of branches/nodes but some strong ones at the top. A lot of them have been topped or supercropped. A few of them are only about 10-12 inches or so but these ones have branches from bottom to top.

The plus side to me leaving them in my windowsill so late was getting to see most of their pre-flowers (only 1 of 12 showed MALE!!).. Why do you think I got so lucky with mostly females?? Not female seeds or super-high quality name-brand strains
:D
Thanks in advance guys and bitches!!

Marcellas

Veteran
Anybody?? I'm gonna try to go out today and get some pics, so you guys can get a better idea.. I'm really hoping for at least an ounce total yield from 12 semi-neglected, smaller ladies??

It rained last night about an hour after I transplanted them into the ground and suppose to be slightly rainy/mostly cloudy the next few days

Thanks again :)

Marcellas

Veteran
Sorry to keep bumping this, but can anybody offer me any input?? Pics tomorrow hopefully.. I put them outside into the ground last night, and today it rained superrrr hard pretty much all day.
.. So now I'm worried that the holes will probably be flooded, because I didn't fill them above the ground-line with dirt, and the plants are sitting pretty low in the ground.

And I'm worried that the newly transplanted plants may have been damaged from this hard, torrential downpour of rain, also... UGHHH, I hope I get at least an ounce total, decent yield...

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
If they haven't started flowering yet, its going to be tough to get them in before the first hard frost unless you're really close to a large body of water.

Usually, August 1st-15th is my cut off window for putting out smaller outdoor stuff.

Just get them somewhere with some nice early morning light (easier said than done) so they don't mold up during those cool, damp fall mornings.

With good light,you might be looking at 1 or 2 per plant depending on other factors. you know the deal though, break up the soil, get some light flowering ferts in there. Nothing organic if ya want to avoid animals this late unless you're leaving your holes a couple weeks before plants go in,which it doesn't sound like.

If they're that lanky, make sure to stake them up and loosely attach them so they don't blow right over.
Hopefully you're spreading the ladies out to a few spots to increase chances of harvesting.

You know the lineage on the genetics?

Last edited:

Marcellas

Veteran
Thanks for the reply FirstTracks! I'll be sure to stake them up next time I go out.. I put them all in spots where they get good direct morning light, except for maybe 2 or 3 bigger ones - but I may be able to cut down some brush so the couple bigger ones get morning light also..

The strains are mixed and a couple of them unknown, I don't know which are which but most are mixed strains I've crossed myself (on accident, outdoors).. A couple BOG strains (SourBubble, SourStrawberryKush), a nice outdoor Blueberry or 2, and a couple good local strains. Most of these strains are crossed together, and some slightly adapted to my outdoor area from doing so

K

K.O.Genetics

we had a late start this year also.. put them out around 8.10th.. and 8.12th.. hopefully have smoke to get threw the winter.

Marcellas

Veteran
Thanks K.O. and good luck to you, I hope your harvest is somewhat satisfying..
:)
Has anybody else put small plants out +2 weeks after the flowering cycle begins, outdoors??

L

LouDog420

If they were sitting in the windowsill, they should still be on the OD schedule I would imagine... I bet you just lost a week or two of stretch since they were in beer cups, and a week to transplant shock. I don't see why they wouldn't finish up for ya though, and an ounce from 12 little plants seems totally reasonable assuming they get to spread their legs.

Also, I bet they bounce back from the rain just fine, and probably helped them get acclimated. I love a good rain after planting :D

Good vibes

Greenheart

Veteran
Spot on FirstTracks solid advice there.

Marcellas you sound like you are at least familiar with the outdoor things so just judging by what you describe my guess will be around 75 grams dried. 2 zips dried should be pretty cake. Don't kill 'em with kindess and stakes for the win. Who knows maybe your natural lollipop method will make some monster tops with your super crops.
:plant grow:

Marcellas

Veteran
Thanks for the replies everybody!! :D
This is the 1st day it hasn't rained since I transplanted em so I'll try to get some pics tonight.. Btw, most of them were showing pre-flowers by about a week or 2 weeks before I put them outside, only 1 showed male!!

So most were just starting to sprout their 1st hairs about a week or so before I put them in the ground.. I'm just worried the rain damaged them the morning after I put them out, it was a reallllly hard rain, and lots of it.

And 2 ounces would be amazing considering my circumstances, but I'm not sure if it's likely - because there really is only a few strong branches at the tops of most of the plants, and they aren't too big

Marcellas

Veteran
Still haven't got pics yet but I'll get them tomorrow for sure, it's been raining probably more than half the time since I put them out. I'm real worried that a lot or all of them have been eaten by deer, since I haven't checked them since transplanting.

And man, I really wish I got them out even just a week or 2 sooner.. It's already started to get cold!! Ahh well, next year (as they always say lol).. Pics tomorrow!!
:D

K

K.O.Genetics

its going to be rough if we get any early early frosts.. hopefully they make it . but we shall see.. im hoping.. but not counting on it.. that's the problem with outdoors.. 2 years ago had 8 foot monsters.. then a week before harvest my partner snipped the colas off and claimed we were robbed.. I later found out he was selling buds to some1 he thought I didn't know.. and decided to stop being partners.. then last year.. had some amazing 7 footers.. that by harvest time had gotten bud rot.. and I called it a loss and didn't harvest any of them.. I couldn't get out to the plants for 3 weeks.. and te last 3 weeks were beautiful besides the morning dew.. and man I was pissed.. tooo much work 2 years in a row with no harvest.. or very little harvest. so this year.. I said fuck it.. and put some out and said fuck it.. most didn't survive.. so I put out a few batches of clones late to see if I can get any outdoor smoke for winter.

Marcellas

Veteran
Ughh that is rough K.O., and I feel your pain.. I've been ripped a few times before myself.. 2 seasons ago, I had some beautiful 6-foot ladies budding nicely outside, for what would've been my biggest harvest yet. Went to check on them a few days before harvest for a final flush and they were nothing but bare branches and stumps in the ground.
...... It appeared whoever stole them, pulled the plants up, and cut the buds off the branches very nearby the spot, and took the buds home.. I found a plant's "skeleton" (bare branches) and a pair of sheers on a nearby path. Never found out who did it!!

It really sucks and hurts to put in all those months of hard-work, to have some brainless punk steal the harvest you deserve.. So last season, after putting forth so much effort the summer before for nothing, I decided to not do shit and take a break. This season, my plants are so small and pathetic I don't think anybody would bother with them

.....Going out to check on them RIGHT now!!! I will get pics!! 1st time checking since I put them out almost 2 weeks ago.. Hopefully they haven't been eaten by deer, and are doing okay

Marcellas

Veteran
And that reminds me of another time about 5-6 years ago.. I had 1 single SourBubble BX3 mother plant (seed gifted from BOG, himself). I had a grow room disaster not too soon before, and this was my last plant of the amazing SB BX3.. I decided to put her outdoors

She was the only plant I put outdoors, and she reached a very nice size and looked amazing (this grow is actually documented somewhere here on IC).. Well, this was before I followed the #1 growers rule, and she was stolen just before harvest.
...... This one, I actually did find out who ripped it, and I guess they got pulled over and arrested with it when driving away!! Haha, karma's a bitch! But I never did get those amazing genetics back

Going to snap some pics now!! :D

Marcellas

Veteran
PICS finally....

PICS finally....

Here's the pics as I promised, finally.. Not much to see, as you can see lol. :comfort:

The first 3 pics are of the nicest looking, tallest plant, also in the biggest hole. It looks like it's taken on the transplant the best of all 12 after about 10 or so days. But still not a lot of branching for buds to fill in on (most of the smaller ones at least have 2 or 3 main branches also), and not a very impressive plant at this stage of the game.
...... Mann, what a hugee difference putting them out even just a week or 2 earlier would have made!!
:eek:
It's hard to see from Pic#3 (from the same tallest/nicest plant), but they're barely beginning to flower.. At first I was worried about even getting a quarter ounce Total Yield, now I'm worried if they'll even finish!!?

2 more were showing male flowers and were pulled up, soil donated to other plants lol. And I think 1 didn't make it and 1 was pretty much completely chewed up by something, and a few others slightly damaged, so 8 little underage girls left, total. lol

The rest of the plants were so small, they were barely worth taking pictures of! Haha, they blend so well with the foliage.. You can see how a lot of them are missing lower branches though - some of them (including the 1 from the 1st 3 pics) were leaning over before I tried to prop them up.
.............. Most are just showing their 1st hairs still, or just beginning to sprout a few hairs. I'm really worried they won't finish by the first frost, which usually comes around late October :eek:

What do you guys think of this pathetic grow?

Attachments

• september013 005.jpg
    september013 005.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 9
  • september013 009.jpg
    september013 009.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 11
  • september013 010.jpg
    september013 010.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 6
  • september013 014.jpg
    september013 014.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 8
  • september013 007.jpg
    september013 007.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 6

Greenheart

Veteran
My first guess was based upon 7 grams x 11 plants. Down to 8 girls and possibly having to harvest early...yeah 2 ounces sounds like a good goal. You may want to think about making some tents out of clear plastic those last 2 weeks. Hooray for the pics.

Marcellas

Veteran
Thanks for the reply! But yeah, I really wish I put them out even just 2-3 weeks sooner - it would've made such a hugee difference.. Because usually my plants begin flowering outside around the middle of August; but since I didn't put them out until about a week after that (late August), most of them were just showing their 1st hairs around than.. I wanted to have them out by mid-June originally, now they're behind and just beginning to flower. Oh well....

Now I'm just hoping that they will even finish up before 1st frost comes, which is usually around the middle of October (sometimes late Oct., but sometimes early too)!! :eek:
...... I'm trying to give them some bloom nutes to speed them up (all Fox Farm), and they're sitting in organic soil also. When I took the pics, I gave them a good dose of FF Tiger Bloom (real strong stuff), with a little Grow BIG (high N) to supply some nitrogen for early flowering. Next time I'll just be giving them the Tiger Bloom and some FF Big Bloom (great organic nute), both bloom feeds.

.. More pics in about a week or so! Keep the feedback coming please!! :)

Marcellas

Veteran
If I got over a half ounce from this I'd be suprised honestly ;)
.. But that's cool all personal. "There's always next season"

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Putting plants out this late is kind of a waste. Plants won't flower until they are getting alternate nodes. Unless you had them at least a foot tall before you put them out, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a significant harvest, if you get anything at all.