What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If pheno shines under a CFL it will only be way better under HID, right?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I really couldn't figure out how to title this thread, much less which forum to put it in.

Here's the deal... I'm growing out some GHS Lemon Skunks from a 10 pack, in order to find a mother to keep. Well, there is this one that really shines over the rest of them, and has since the beginning! So I keep saying she's the keeper, but now I'm starting to wonder if she only looks so beautiful because that pheno prefers the conditions of the low light CFL.

Is that possible? What if I choose this one, then next time I grow her out, under a 1000w, she doesn't like it... Like it's too bright or something? Did I make a mistake by doing my pheno selection under a CFL when the plants will ultimately be grown under HPS? I kind of just thought that I would be able to extrapolate and say, "oh okay, this one performed the best, so it's going to do even better under the HPS."

Suddenly I'm doubting the intelligence of that decision.

:redface:

K

komodod

its very rare that a plant will not like more light. that's if its even true at all. id expsect it to yield more under hps in the very least..:)

WelderDan

Veteran
Id's say, after growing outdoors, indoors under HID (HPS and MH), and under CFL, that your hypothesis is correct. If it performs well under CFL, it should rock under HID. Some plants fair better than others in lower light, but they ALL dig more lumens.

G

gloryoskie

How was it vegged? Also hardening off may be a thing
to do. Also distance from light. Lots to ponder, but
greater rewards are on the horizon.

Buy more nutes and get bigger pots!

Keep us posted!

Friend

Veteran
More light is generally better in my experience... it's easy to see why.

the exception being if the added light increases your temperatures too much, resin production and bud size will suffer.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well cool, I appreciate you guys chiming in. :) I'll be the first to admit this was a silly question, but I don't know she's so beautiful, and fast flowering, and smells so lovely, that I'm worried there will be SOME reason I find out that she wasn't the best one after all, lol.

Yeah, the temperature in the CFL cab is actually warmer than the HPS tent, so that's another thing about this pheno! It shines so beautifully not only under low light, but also in a warm 81 degrees! Only she and another pheno I'll be keeping have never showed any signs of heat stress, while the other 4 phenos have NOT liked it. This alone has been a helpful factor in narrowing down my choice, because in this hot climate, any plants I grow might occasionally have to deal with warm temps.

So yeah, once the plants are finally grown in the HPS tent, they will actually be air conditioned, with temps in the low 70s. :D

Here's the one I've been talking about all along:

IMG038_zps7b250474.jpg

And here's her chunkier but lower yielding and much shorter sister:

IMG036_zps99926574.jpg

Those pictures were taken yesterday, on day 44 of 12/12.

Keep us posted!

Funny thing about vegging... There wasn't any, lol. I was impatient to get this little just for fun project started. And it just so happened I needed to sort through a pack of lemon skunks. So I flowered freshly rooted cuttings of each individual seedling, right after growing roots, no veg time. I'm actually surprised at how well the single 125w CFL is working! If I had let the clones veg for a week or so, they would have been more productive, for sure.

I just finished setting up a 1000w air conditioned 4x4 tent, that has Sadhu growing in there... But the keeper Lemon Skunk will go in there next!

Kushion

Keep us posted!
What do you mean by hardening off?

And to the OP, stop second guessing yourself.

Greenheart

Veteran
I tend to keep them around at least two or three cycles to really decide just in case it was something on my end and not the genetics fault. You can always try your hand at grafting. It is fun and once you get a feel for it quite easy.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Awesome! Yeah it looks like these two are going to be 8-9 weekers. The shorter chunkier one will probably be 8, and the keeper will probably be 9. Thanks for getting me all fired up now, lol.. I can't wait to smoke her!

I have other phenos in my 400w tent, and I plan on keeping one of those, too. It is kind of tall, but there is bud all up and down the entire stalk, and hardly any leaves at all... it's crazy, the amount of white pistils everywhere and barely any flowering leaves!! So let me ask you, does this sound anything at all like the one you kept? She is probably going to be at least 12 weeks, from the look of it, and other than her slight discontent with temps in the upper 70s, she is beautiful. Plus I want to try out a taller, obviously sativa pheno too!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yeah that sounds exactly like her! Here's a picture of her on day 32:

IMG015_zps964f0d21.jpg

You can see she hasn't been enjoying the warmth so much, unfortunately, but she's still performing! So I'm going to keep her around and grow her out in the air conditioned room.

I don't have any more recent closeups of her but here is a group shot from yesterday, day 44 for her... She's the one in the front on the left:

IMG040_zpsb3143c5d.jpg

What's she smoke like?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The longer it sures the more fruity it gets, chitral or citral flavored w/e you call it. great smoke inconsistent phenos. That tall one looks very similar to mine lol. Memoriiiies.

guy fawkes

Veteran
as long as venting and temps are kept in check you can only expect bigger frostier denser buds with less leaf with more watts,

try running light on at night to help keep temps down if you not doing so already.

lol NOTHING "shines" under cfl, once you move up to hid you will realize that...florescents don't even come close to unleashing the full potential of ANY strain...

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
We're having a grown folks discussion here... Please read the thread before you comment. Thank you.

Latest posts

Latest posts