What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best way to dry bubble hash?

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
I'm tellin' ya bro, try the mirror. You don't lose one bit, it's all easily scraped up with a razor. Besides, the chance of getting any bits of cardboard in the bubble sucks.

I also froze mine, but I need to explain: When I was making bubble, I used a DIY bubble bucket set. That allowed me to take the screen off with the bubble still in it (the 73u was normally the best screen for the strains I ran at the time). I collected all the bubble into a corner, dabbed the majority of the moisture off with a towel, and put the folded screen into the freezer. After about 10 minutes, I'd pull out the screen, carefully unfold it, and pop the frozen hash off onto a mirror.

A touch bit of moisture actually helped to get the hash off all in one frozen piece, so long as I collected all the trichs together well in a corner. (I would fold the screen in a certain way, that would allow most of them to pool together nicely. Any stragglers would be gently moved towards the pile with a water squirt bottle.)

RUEBEN

you can also use wax paper to dry out your crumbled up hash, peels off very easiely coming out of the freezer.

THC123

Veteran
i just squeeze the bags a lil bit with a kitchen towel , then the hash is dry enough to fall out

then i put the hash on a kitchen seive and with a spoon i press it through the seive

then i put it on a piece of paper

never sticks and dried nice and equally

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont squeeze or press my hash ever. I let it sit on carboard for a few minutes to get rid of excess water then move right to a glass plate.... i set it under a piece of glass with a few inches of air space to keep any dust out ... then i let it set for 5 to 7 days or till i touch it and it falls apart into powder.... then i let cure for a bit in a container. Untill it just falls apart its not dry ... as long as it has that taffy consistency its still wet. Let dry to powder then cure in container like buds ... leave in powder form for the most bubbly melty smoking experience :)

bubbert

One trick I've found is putting unbleached coffee filters on top of the cardboard. You get the same drying effect without it tearing and sticking to your extract!

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SO you can "cure" it once it get's completely dry?

Does it get better with age? Someone just told me they have hash that is like 4 years old and just get's better and better...I know so little it is ridonkulis!

RulaTone

Veteran
THC won't increase nor become better with age.
Keep in mind air and light are enemies of cannabinoids.
Resin is also hygroscopic and will catch enviromental humidity if there is.
Terpenes are volatile and will decrease slowly but continuosly.
So if you cure without giving attention to those things you will end up with a weaker product.
Curing is a good way to get rid of residual water though, in this way the product become stronger beacuse of the simple fact that per weight unit cannabinoids are more in a full dry resin.

bioguy

Never press bubble hash while wet, water will stick to resin at molecular level and you will never get rid of it!
You just have to put that cardboard in freezer since its all hard then remove it.
Next time use a nylon towel 25u and put under it an absorbent towel (shamzilla like)
Freezing is the solution with sticky material.

Now everything makes sense.:tiphat:I knwe I was doing something wrong.

bioguy

As for curing I have seen very reputable people recommend it. If it works despite THC degradation it almost certainly has to do with the synergistic effects of various terpenes and other cannabinoids on the buzz. Terpenes are thought to play are bigger role all the time. It may be that the one that evaporates first is regulating the buzz in a negative manner. So, while it does not make it stronger it "could" still make it better.

I also think that "curing hash" as opposed to "letting it get old" has to do with quantity. A huge brick of properly made hash is usually hardened and oxidized around the edges and the inside still fresh/freshish.

4 years....thats sounds crazy.

nakadashi

So I have never made bubble hash before but I am curious. Since basically you are trying to remove all the water wouldn't a vacuum oven work? Or even a convection oven without vacuum?

snacks_latrine

Hey Sam!

Sorry to dredge this up after so long has passed, but your suggestion intrigued me and I can't find any information on it, so I figured I'd go to the source...

I am a Prop 215 patient and do ice water extractions as frequently as I have time. I was working with some fresh frozen material a couple weeks ago and, while the results were absolutely amazing in every respect (taste, melt, effect, etc.) a lot of the product came out in such a sticky, putty-like state that all my normal methods for increasing the surface-to-air ratio to ensure even and effective air-drying proved ineffective. Once air dried, the product still turns to insanely sticky goo after a few seconds of body heat contact. As a result, my sturdiest efforts to pass it through a sieve, a micro plane, even to cut it into small pieces with a knife were unsuccessful. I even went so far as to freeze it, freeze my microplane, and then try to plane it in the freezer. But even the heat from my gloved hand in a cold environment was too much to maintain a workable composition.

So I'm sitting with my patty on ice trying to figure out how the hell to process it without it molding up on me. Then I find your post at the end of this informative thread and go on to look up information on the process of sublimation, which, as I have come to understand it, is the active process in freeze-drying where bringing the material's temperature way down and then decreasing pressure using a vacuum pump causes the frozen water particles to instantly vaporize and be removed from the material.

This seems like a brilliant idea for drying ice water extractions! Compared to air-drying, even in a humidity-controlled environment, it seems like you get a much more complete, consistent drying effect while also maintaining extreme cold to preserve all the volatile terpenes. Surprisingly enough though, I can't really find any information outside of your post that would suggest anyone has actually tried such a method. Do you have experience doing this? If so, how have you found the process and what equipment did you use? Any extra information would be very helpful, as I'm finding basically nothing!

ANTHONY DEPIETR

Ok gang coming to the experts;

I've been making a lot more Ice Bubble Hash and the person who showed me how to do this told me to dry it on cardboard to remove the water...but I suspect their are much better ways to dry it?

I am having problems using cardboard and sometimes it sticks to the CB and comes off with the hash..NOT appealing.

Please make some suggestions of better ways to dry my Ice Bubble hash, here are some pics of some I just did for you to enjoy, it is really nice full melt stuff, when it doesn't stick to the CB.

View Image

View Image
plastic bags isomerize with thc do not use, i use two paper towels to dry it after pressing thru screen in two days it is dry and falls right off the paper towels!!!!!!

BlazinAzn

Try sublimation to remove all moisture from the extracted resin when frozen. Less heat.

-SamS

My freeze dryer is gonna make me some 6 star full melt! Have you seen the prices some dispensaries in oregon are selling full melt for??? 110 dollars a gram last I checked on their leafly site.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
As for curing I have seen very reputable people recommend it. If it works despite THC degradation it almost certainly has to do with the synergistic effects of various terpenes and other cannabinoids on the buzz. Terpenes are thought to play are bigger role all the time. It may be that the one that evaporates first is regulating the buzz in a negative manner. So, while it does not make it stronger it "could" still make it better.

I also think that "curing hash" as opposed to "letting it get old" has to do with quantity. A huge brick of properly made hash is usually hardened and oxidized around the edges and the inside still fresh/freshish.

4 years....thats sounds crazy.

the other week I smoked some 15 year old dry sift... trust me, it still worked...

S

sourpuss

I take the bubble an put it on parchment or cardboard. Currently I do the parchment and put it in an empty fridge. 2 days its bone crumbly dry. Then I squish it back into hash. Id rather not press it to dry it in those mesh drying towels. Only drys it to a degree an locks in moisture in the core.

Had the same issues with too sticky bubble. 1 batch molded to hell. Gotta do the fridge thing. The cold even counteracts any mold growth. Win win...

Red Bear

so I can dry my Ice water Extract in my vacuum chamber?
please elaborate?,
or show me a freeze dryer thats not $4000...
need alternatives to BHO...
thanks