What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa GROW Thread

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
sorry I just realized I never actually answered your grow question. I never personally grew williams wonder but from what I understand it was meant to be a relatively short plant. Not like a SSH that gets 7 ft or something. So if you've got a big room I wouldn't be scared of veggin her.

But if you wanna flower it from seed that is how it was originally meant to be grown yeah. How much it has changed, or the specific batch you have has changed I don't know though. Especially since I never grew the WW myself you know.

G

well, i hope to be able to contribute something to this thread with those seeds so all can see it, and especially those who got the freebies of them that nycdfan042 sent to seedbay.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
who is the durban poison from? the malawi too for that matter?

And the only real question for if it will work or not is if you are going to need the grow to finish at one time. Like in plan for another one or something.

But I used to have a sativa light and I would have plants of all ages mixed together and it never did anything problematic. Once the males would show I'd replace them with new seeds, and once those males would show I'd replace them with more. So I had plants stifled randomly 2-3 weeks between one another in groups ya know.

Possum

neville's hazeXmango haze & jack herer

neville's hazeXmango haze & jack herer

all right i am out of my depth here on this one...so for all you sativa experts i am working on three different schools of thought.

1) 12/12 from seed in dirt...soon as they pop drop them in soil and move to the flower room.

OR

2) grow in veg as i would my indica strains, take clones and flower out in dirt as single cola plants pruning all the lower growth to get one large cola bud.

OR

3) grow in veg as i would my indica strains, take clones and flower out in dirt, periodically pruning out the top colas to get more of a shrub plant.

originally i thought these would be growing alone...so i thought vertical space would not be an issue....and i was going to try 2) to get the biggest bud/most bud material least stem.

now, it seems that these will be flowered out in the supplemental lighting around a 2X3 aeroponic set-up under 2 400 watt lights (roughy 6-8 flowering females at most in the supplemental area).

that will give me only maybe 1 extra foot of vertical space (normally my indica's grow to 2.5 to 3 ft. max) so about 4 feet vertical.

now i am trying to decide between 1) & 3) knowing that even if i do 1) i may have to do some pruning.

--now i know there are lots of LST guru's out there, but i will be pruning these...gotta take clones any way....and i'm not going that route this time.

any help is appreciated.

i will be posting on shanti's site as well....trying to give my propers to my vendors and breeders when the work is good.

D

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
lol. yeah the how many of what to sprout is a game I miss alot.

You'd have a better fix on your space then I would. I cram those bastards in there till max capacity personally. I never know how many will be males. If I had ended up with too many females I'd just kill the weakest ones for room.

But bare in mind I was breeding my own stuff and collecting mexican and jamaican bagseed etc. so it didn't matter if I killed a few I had them to spare.

Since you're payin for seeds its up to you how you wanna play it. But better safe then sorry. It would suck if they were all female and you had to kill perfectly good plants because you didn't have room.

eDIT: they should definitely have time to finish before jan 1.

I'm not familiar with seedsman seed bank though personally. But even if they are pure they should still finish in plenty of time.

about my light. I had in 12/12 constant, but I had a veg box too. But even if you don't there is no excuse this day in age. I'm going to run you through a super cheap super effective grow box that is about fifty bucks total. Get a rubbermaid tub. optional size. cut a hole at the top of it and mount a 25 dollar bathroom fan. deck the inside out with 2 40 watt cfls' at 8 bucks a piece and you are set. if you wanna upgrade with more lights just add another bathroom fan for intake instead of just cutting holes. If anyone comes over pull plug out of wall and put a cardboard box on top the bathroom fan and it just looks like a plastic storage container with a box on top of it. used it for years to collect male pollen in a seperate room; but works fine for a few weeks veg, messing with clones, etc. etc. disposable, portable, small, cheap, efficient and non descript. Can't ask for much more than that. let me dig up a pic I saw a guy had one the other day and it brought back memories. Its a great thing to get "space takers" out of the way. things that don't need much light. just time. lol, hell you could even throw those damn cali o's into one pot. call it the runt basket like I used to and put it in the corner with a dunce cap.

this is red greenery's photo. but its so simple. mine actually had a bamboo stake wedged in it suspending the light. other than that its the same. a L bracket to keep light out and let air in at the bottom right. And at the top left of the lid you just put a cheap bathroom fan from Home Depot with a PVC L bracket on it to hide the light. You can get a rubber or foam cushion where the fan touches the box, and where the lid closes and it doesn't vibrate at all. You only hear the fan.

Last edited:

Sativa Soul

outstanding thread there motaco! I think your definetely right about sativas overally being more interesting then indicas. There are great indicas though.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
thanks guys.

@Possum. well as outlined #1 would be the quickest and most efficient, but you'd have to reveg for clones with sometimes fails. I forgot to add that section and also mention that in the "cons" list.

#2 is fine if you don't mind growing males for a while though.

But honestly, for your unique situation I would veg and top at the first node that will grow, and as soon as you see new tips flower it. When it is so tiny and has to put energy into two tips they tend to make V shape and fit lower in canopys but take up more room. IMHO I've found they yield less like this as oppossed to not topping, and take up more space with less yield at that, however it does seem to keep them shorter and wider which would help at the edges of a light like that and having to stay so small.

I'm not sure that was understandable. what I'm sayin is when the two tips lean in opposite directions like a V they sit lower in the canopy and keeps the plant shorter. But since they are leaning and not vertical they are taking up an odd usage of space.

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

to keep sizes down i usually just twist and crush the tip a bit and i bend it in an 90 degree angle.. this way the top growth can be kept horizontal with a few strings.

i do it in early flowering :)

its ugly at first - but gives quite interesting looking top buds in the end. i dont think it affects yield too much.

the pic is bad but it shows it in effect :D

all the best

bone

smokeymacpot

Veteran
i have a question. i started 2 new thai seeds, they are currently under 24/0. daylight hours is about 13.5 -14 at the moment and i want to put them outside in the wild. am i going to have to tie them down to keep them at a less visible height? do i give them 12/12 now ? they are on there 4th node and less than 10cm tall. and what would be the best time to put them outside? wait till daylight is 12hrs? or put them out now ?

Last edited:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
yeah I'd probably wait until the sunlight hours go down a lil. depends how pure thai it is too.

Anyway yeah you'll probably have to tie her down if you don't want it to be seen. But what height is too high for your secruity? You could always top.

hardhat22

Hey Bone,great tip.I've been thinking about moving my scrog screen to the floor and just using it to tie off to but had concerns about loosing control.I think that tip will help.
@Anybody;Recently I harvested seeds that I made from a plant that I really wanted to try to replicate.I'm ready to start trying to find the flavor,potency and leaf-calyx ratio that I wanted to preserve.If found,I have seeds of another unknown variety that I want to cross it with that produces very large buds.The problem is I have no clue if these varieties are pure Sativas or hybrids.All I really want is a mom,not a pure breeding line.Am I just pissing in the wind or do I have a chance finding what I want with these Mexi-mongrel varieties?Either way,I'm already having a ball trying,Lol.
Peace

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Oblidio49 - My Malawi Gold (and then the Goldfinger, etc.) were from Seedsman, and they rock - especially at those prices! I was a little unlucky with the female to male ratio, but the two phenos I kept were great, bushy and not too tall. Like the one on the front page actually...:)

moe

@Elevator Man
so u vote for african sativa more than other sativa ;)
i have some bad luck with kwazulu of world of seeds for germination still five 5 seeds
to try but i don't think have better luck..
and i have good smoke with durban poison, very strong, and VOODOO
but the taste is like puting soil in the mouth.

Last edited:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
@ hardhat. Yeah your chances are pretty good permitting you have enough room to do the kinda selection a polyhybrid mom might take. but thats true whether its a homemade strain or lavender ya know?

fortragni

Hey thought i'd chime in, more of a learner than as a teacher. This is my second grow, first Sativa(dominant) grow. It's MandalaSeeds' Satori, the more Sativisch phenotype, what other growers have described as the "Spear" pheno. This strain has a Highland Nepalese father. Grown under a 250W HPS, organic soil. Not the best pics, i can take more, but you can get an idea.. classic sativa Christmas-tree growth structure. Day 33 of 12/12, maybe day 20 since pistils showed. I figure 75-80 days 12/12 total.. they were vegged for about 20 days. thanks for looking

Last edited:
So I've got a bagseed plant on day 56 of flower and I'm thinking it's mostly sativa. Here's a picture of the main top. It's not showing any amber trichs at all yet and its day 56, plus the buds are just somewhat small and airy, but VERY resiny. Whenever I move the plant around it makes the room reak. Plus this is a 12\12 from seed plant and it's performed very well so far, so that also makes me think its sativa dom.

I am flowering with CFL's though, could this be the reason for the slower budding? Does quality of light help buds mature faster or does it just make them bigger? I mean, I've got around 135W of CFL light on one small-ish plant, so it's not TOO bad, just wanna figure out if she's sativa or what:

newbuds1.jpg

Last edited:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
yeah that looks pretty sativa.

I hate to sound like a broken record I find myself saying this alot but where did the beans come from? were they from indoor kind bagseed or outdoor schwag bagseed?

and if outdoor schwag are you in the states near mexican weed or in europe where there is more african weed?

but anyway yeah light is going to affect a good bit on sativas. It's totally possible to get decent sativa smoke off CFL's but he light has to be close.

And unfortunately the light is going to affect everything from color and leaf shape, internode length, bud quality and density, among several other things.

But yeah lower light levels will definitely make growth take longer. And perhaps extend flower time but I never really thought about that honestly. But maybe not.

for day 56 it has alot of mature hairs though so its probably not much over a 50/50 hybrid.

When growing sativas with CFL's or really anything with CFL's I highly reccomend supplementing it with whatever natural sunlight you can. If you can put them in a sunny window (not facing neighbors of course) for a few hours; or put them in a rubber maid container in your yard for a few hours. Just keep them away from plants with mold or mixing it with other vegetation. Its easy to spread mold or pests like that. But if they are in a container on a cut lawn sprayed for pests for a few hours in a container the risk is low.

Its more on larger gardens bringing plants out for a lil while that you can make a bigger mistake.

a few hours of strong sunlight will help make sticky tough resins that are sticky like molasses and stronger than the more watery wet feeling type trichs you get from cfls.

resin protects seeds from UV rays so you want strong light anytime you can get it to energize those buds. helps growth rates too.

Latest posts

Latest posts