What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Endophytic Fungi

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Right now I'm growing several plants using The Rev's method - bottom watering reservoir, a grill, growrocks, super soil, light soil, grains & fruit, hemp bedding for mulch.

Fungi need to be fed calories and carbon, and stable moisture. The hemp provides the carbon, the grains and fruit provide the calories (well balanced in fat, protein and starch, including sugar). The fungi absorb the nutrients, and feed them to the plants.

The plants are doing fantastically, and are growing as fast or faster than in hydro. And no leaf burn whatsoever - all the nutrients seem tot get filtered through the fungi.

Also, the hemp bedding comes with it's own hemp specific mycorrhizal fungi - which produces a small caramel colored mushroom. There are also mycorrhizal fungi in: buckwheat hulls (ink caps), alfalfa pellets, worm compost. All you need to do is protect and feed them, like trees do.

Making carbon and calories available not only stimulated the mycorrhizal fungi, but also the endophytic fungi, which protect the plant from disease and insect attack.

Interesting article:

- The most dominant species was Penicillium copticola

- We observed 11 distinct types of pathogen inhibition

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13225-012-0216-3

Fungal Diversity
May 2013, Volume 60, Issue 1, pp 137–151 | Cite as
Endophytic fungi harbored in Cannabis sativa L.: diversity and potential as biocontrol agents against host plant-specific phytopathogens

Abstract

The objective of the present work was isolation, phylogenetic characterization, and assessment of biocontrol potential of endophytic fungi harbored in various tissues (leaves, twigs, and apical and lateral buds) of the medicinal plant, Cannabis sativa L. A total of 30 different fungal endophytes were isolated from all the plant tissues which were authenticated by molecular identification based on rDNA ITS sequence analysis (ITS1, 5.8S and ITS2 regions).

The Menhinick’s index revealed that the buds were immensely rich in fungal species, and Camargo’s index showed the highest tissue-specific fungal dominance for the twigs. The most dominant species was Penicillium copticola that could be isolated from the twigs, leaves, and apical and lateral buds. A detailed calculation of Fisher’s log series index, Shannon diversity index, Simpson’s index, Simpson’s diversity index, and Margalef’s richness revealed moderate overall biodiversity of C. sativa endophytes distributed among its tissues. The fungal endophytes were challenged by two host phytopathogens, Botrytis cinerea and Trichothecium roseum, devising a dual culture antagonistic assay on five different media. We observed 11 distinct types of pathogen inhibition encompassing a variable degree of antagonism (%) on changing the media. This revealed the potential chemodiversity of the isolated fungal endophytes not only as promising resources of biocontrol agents against the known and emerging phytopathogens of Cannabis plants, but also as sustainable resources of biologically active and defensive secondary metabolites.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Japanese documentary on endophytic fungi.

They keep saying 'microbes', however endophytic fungi are fungi. By emphasizing the growing of fungi when growing plants, you can stimulate all kinds of fungi.

Fungi need calories (seeds, fruits) and carbon (leaves, stalks, roots). By dropping both on the top of the soil, you stimulate fungal growth, as well as other biological activity.

xet

Thank you TM for the information.

The 'Back to Eden' garden method of adding 1 meter layer of woodchips (all type of tree, hard wood, fruit, shrub, vine, etc) from local tree trimmer source proved to me the power of fungi and free compost tea from every watering although no watering required after 12-30 months of the composted establishing itself.

I can not have rain for six months and dig only a few inches to find fungi activated soil that is damp and without need for additional water. A few threads floating around the forum ask about woodchips and I encourage anyone curious to watch the Back to Eden documentary.

Also I will read up on the rev method. I believe you have perfected this method indoors and thank you for the information dump.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I'm stunned to find that some of the information about endophytic fungi goes back over a century, judging from the footnotes. This paper is from half a century ago. I'd never heard of endophytes (as opposed to mycorrhizal fungi) before, and I even briefly went to ag school in the 1980s.

https://nph.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1469-8137.1967.tb05999.x

THE RELATION BETWEEN HOST AND ENDOPHYTE
IN ORCHID MYCORRHIZA
BY G. HARVAIS * AND G. HADLE Y
Botany Department, Univeisitv of Aberdeen
{Received 22 September 1966)
SUMMARY

xet

I'm stunned to find that some of the information about endophytic fungi goes back over a century, judging from the footnotes. This paper is from half a century ago. I'd never heard of endophytes (as opposed to mycorrhizal fungi) before, and I even briefly went to ag school in the 1980s.

https://nph.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1469-8137.1967.tb05999.x

Very interesting read. Thank you for posting. It seems there is a world of soil competition looking for a relationship with the plant. There is a word for beneficial parasites I am not able to remember right now. Maybe this is the case here.

Cvh

Supermod
BTW: fungi are microbes

Indeed.

Definition of microbes:
https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/microbiome/intro/
What are Microbes?
A microbe, or “microscopic organism,” is a living thing that is too small to be seen with the naked eye. We need to use a microscope to see them.
The term is very general. It is used to describe many different types of life forms, with dramatically different sizes and characteristics:
Bacteria
Archaea
Fungi
Protists
Viruses
Microscopic Animals

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To the best of my knowledge cannabis is mycorrhizal with endomycorrhizal fungi. As far as I know these do not produce fruiting bodies (mushrooms).

glebopalma28

Hi,

In the first post you mentioned you were using The Rev's method, and I wondered if you could link me to a thread that outlines this method in a bit more detail.

Thanks in advance.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran

Latest posts

Latest posts