What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stalled out at emergence.

OttoGrower

1st grow and I have a lot to learn.

Started 2 seeds in RO water,and then transferred to moist paper towel wrapped in saran wrap and placed on a plate on my router.The tails emerged in 2 days and then were then transferred into 1 gal felt pots with Happy Frog potting soil and placed outdoors.Temps during the day are in the upper 50's and lows at night hover around 50.The seedlings broke the surface in 4 days,but have stalled out now for 4 days.No ferts used to this point.

Ideas?

I realize that 1 gal is small,but this is a test run to get some experience.

OttoGrower

I don't have enough posts to edit my posts it appears.?

I should also mention that I amended the Happy Frog with what I figured to be about 30% coco.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Those temperatures seem way too cold, I'm assuming that is 50F. I'm pretty sure seedlings should be kept warmer, something like 70-80F. I'm also at 42N and I was told not to put anything to overnight outside until the end of May/beginning of June, because of chances of frost. I think the happy frog should have enough stuff in it to last 3-4 weeks? So it shouldn't need feeding realistically during that time. I would probably blame the cold without more information. And yeah you can edit posts after I think 50 posts? Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
That is quite chilly. Although autos sprout and seem to stall a little because they are working on roots. Hopefully you will see some growth soon.

OttoGrower

Those temperatures seem way too cold, I'm assuming that is 50F. I'm pretty sure seedlings should be kept warmer, something like 70-80F. I'm also at 42N and I was told not to put anything to overnight outside until the end of May/beginning of June, because of chances of frost. I think the happy frog should have enough stuff in it to last 3-4 weeks? So it shouldn't need feeding realistically during that time. I would probably blame the cold without more information. And yeah you can edit posts after I think 50 posts? Welcome to the forum and good luck.

I was actually inclined to think that it was temperature related as well AP.It had turned warm here and I got way too excited about getting started and probably ended up stepping on my ****.:biggrin:

That is quite chilly. Although autos sprout and seem to stall a little because they are working on roots. Hopefully you will see some growth soon.

I'm going to take a wait and see on these.I'm certainly not going to ditch them,that is for sure.

Thanks for the advice Lester.

OttoGrower

No edit option sucks.Ha-ha.

Is it better to direct seed when going outdoors,or to pre-sprout?I suppose there are those on both sides of that question,but thought I would ask.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If they aren't feminized seeds I think the recommendation is to indoor veg them till you can determine sex, then move the ladies outside.

Satyros

Sun.

Depends on what you mean by "stalled out"; I use it for sprouts that are unable to discard the seed hull or membrane.

The temperature wasn't really good for germination, but, as long as they popped, just don't freeze 'em.

Pre-sprout has no advantages other than you can start indoors before it gets warm. Any exposure or handling of roots cannot really do anything good, it can only harm.

Here's what I do. Direct sow in 16 oz. Solo cups (no cheap flimsy cups). Grow in there for ten days or so. Object is only to get a few roots going. Then, at a "magic moment" 2-3 days after watering, you remove a perfect "earth biscuit". The whole thing comes out as a solid plug, and can be set into a larger container with virtually no transplant shock.

The roots are all that matters for a fairly long time, so, if it's not dying or otherwise unhealthy, limited aerial growth is ok.

One gallon is a good size because, what's likely to happen, is the plant will fill it in a few weeks and think it's reached a limit. And then it is ready to be topped and LST'd. It won't be happy there for the whole season, but temporarily restraining it there should be allright. Then pot up to a three or five gallon to flower, and it will probably erupt.

However, since this is an "auto" plant, it probably wouldn't be in a larger container for very long before flowering if you did it that way.

Latest posts

Latest posts