What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fruits from the wild: Breeding with pure sativas Mextiza and Ghana

Carraxe

Veteran
Nice project Carraxe and well reported,

maybe you'll be lucky with that Thai Angola and have a nice christmas tree ready to harvest on christmas, would be a nice present. Which strains did you pollinate with the Red Snake male?

I hope to get seeds from the Thai in order to domesticate her. The Red Snake is a project by itself, now that I know that plant I prefer to have it apart from my breeding projects, due to its special features. The smoke is very nice as well, but I don't want to dilute it. And there isn't as much endogamy there, so I expect to have her going for a couple more generations.

I plan to make a lot of seeds of Red Snake, but I don't plan to cross her anymore.

Cheers

Dogtown

I hope to get seeds from the Thai in order to domesticate her. The Red Snake is a project by itself, now that I know that plant I prefer to have it apart from my breeding projects, due to its special features. The smoke is very nice as well, but I don't want to dilute it. And there isn't as much endogamy there, so I expect to have her going for a couple more generations.

I plan to make a lot of seeds of Red Snake, but I don't plan to cross her anymore.

Cheers

Yeah I read about the Red Snake. This strain looks & sounds absolutely fantastic! It's also a fast sativa, not as fast as Mextiza if I remember correctly breed by charlie? Are you planning to make seeds of RS this year or in future projects?

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
Yeah I read about the Red Snake. This strain looks & sounds absolutely fantastic! It's also a fast sativa, not as fast as Mextiza if I remember correctly breed by charlie? Are you planning to make seeds of RS this year or in future projects?

I've selected a very nice female. She needs 10 or 11 weeks to be ready, but the effect is in my opinion better than Mextiza's, it is more sativa. I believe Punto Rojo has a lot of influence in the cross, much more than the Nepal Jam used in Mextiza.

I have a male also, so I will make seeds as soon as I can.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Angola Senegal

Angola Senegal

Well, this is the pregnant Angola Senegal. I pollinated her two weeks ago with my Mextiza male and calyxes are clearly swollen.

These plants are big. This one isn't the biggest one! I took her out of the tent to have a general view.

Fortunately, we'll have a lot of seeds. In 3-4 weeks I'll consider them mature, I might cut this plant early.

More pictures following.

Carraxe

Veteran
Senegal

Senegal

And these plants are Senegal. This one has been flowering for about 10 weeks. The seeds are already done, I've picked some to take a picture.

And this one has been flowering for exactly three weeks. It flowers fast, with a lot of strength and very long thin hairs. You can see the melancholic looks... like an EMO sativa. It is probably due to overfeeding, these aren't modern hybrids that can be fed with very high PPMs.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
That's the classic sativa "claw" leaves i get when get i get them a bit too much nitrogen. Nothing to worry about.
Happy to hear the senegalese are making seeds with mextiza, all seems to go very well, congrats.
Please let me know when you make some red snake seeds, i'm very interested in this sativa hybrid.

Cheers

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
That's the classic sativa "claw" leaves i get when get i get them a bit too much nitrogen. Nothing to worry about.
Happy to hear the senegalese are making seeds with mextiza, all seems to go very well, congrats.
Please let me know when you make some red snake seeds, i'm very interested in this sativa hybrid.

Cheers

Ah Red Snake.... :thank you:

Dogtown

That's pretty fast for Red Snake do you have some pictures from the Red Snake short before harvest time? Yes can't wait to see the red snakes growing! This Angola Senegal is a beast!

Carraxe

Veteran
That's pretty fast for Red Snake do you have some pictures from the Red Snake short before harvest time? Yes can't wait to see the red snakes growing! This Angola Senegal is a beast!

There are a couple of males in a picture, before in this thread. Very much branching, very different to Mextiza. Females grow a lot as well. it might take more than 11 weeks, I don't remember. Things with COBs go faster.

I found the pictures:

I don't have any picture of the female, but I will.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I've found a female that is ready in 6 weeks. I believe it happened because I kept this one too much time in veg, and I used a lot of COB power. COBs seem to speed it up, but I believe it affects production. Anyway this one looks good. Maybe a little high on Nitro, I didn't expect I was going to cut her that soon. There are a couple that I put into flower at the same time and they are far from being ready.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Some fruits of the work. Look at how different sizes these seeds have. I used different Mextiza males to pollinate the sativa females, one female was La Bella from Mario Bellandi (Delicatessen Seeds, IIRC) and the other one is the Senegal from La Mano Negra.

In some months I'll start popping them.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I believe there will be enough seeds for anything. This is the Angola Senegal, also very hashy, subtle. Pollinated two and a half weeks ago.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
These are the Mextiza Rebuilt that I planted 3 and a half weeks ago. I haven't any space in the growing tent, so they have been under a window for some days. Let's see if I can make a place for them in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
The Jack Herer Mextiza I selected after 7 weeks 12/12. They go faster under COBs, so I believe I should have cut N before I did. My plants are finishing too green lately.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I used a fermentation technique on one of the Mextizas. I usually use it only on landraces, because it makes the weed stronger and cured faster.

It's been pressed and fermenting for a week after just 4 days drying after harvest. I removed all the stems before pressing, there is some leave but all of it can be smoked in a joint.

It will be dry in less than a week. After that it can be smoked, but I'll wait some weeks anyway. This is the color I like, after some years fermenting weed I can choose the fermentation degree.

Cheers

Dogtown

Hi Carraxe, maybe you can flush the jack here mextiza before you cut them? Hopefully you have enough space for the Mextizas, would love to see them grow.

The fermented Mextiza look like a delicious puck!

How did you do the fermentation process, like Tangwena (Malawi Style Cob Curing)?