What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smart Pots

bigshrimp

Veteran
This may have been mentioned but proper filling of fabric pots is important more so the taller and larger the container.

When filling these i take my time, filling a little then pulling up on the fabric wall and packing around the base. Repeat.

I try to make the outside layer of your medium more dense than the center, forcing water through the whole mass rather than running or being wicked down the sides. Prevents air pockets dry spots and such.

Bigshrimp

TheLAGrizzly

Pretty cool, but what would you use for seedlings/clones?

The smallest size is 3 gallons, and that's about as large as I can use in my cab..
I use coco plugs, then transfer to one gallon plastic pots before putting them into my 7 gallon pots for my indoor grow.

G

Question for the smart pot crowd. I'm going with a smart pot next grow and I'm not sure what size. My foot print is small but I have a 7 foot tall tent.

I don't have room for two 7 gallon with saucers so I'm going to go with one 10 gallon or one 15 gallon and would not let it veg to long to manage the flowering height. It's a organic super soil mix and my thinking is 15 gallons of soil will help provide maximum food and health.
Any opinions from past growers?

smokehog

I have Air pots, fabric pots and normal pots. I find airpots and fabric pots dry out quicker than a normal pot. You get good growth in them.

G

... true but I rather water more often then have my plants tootsies soaking in water.

I’m on my second or third grow with 7 gallon pots. Love them. BUT one thing I found is they need to be sitting above the floor. Be it some kind of premade product or me I found some fiberglass type drain grate squares 12”x12” and sit them on those. Seems the runoff will soak back up if the pots are not raised off floor there is nowhere for it to drain to. Even totally organic my Na level went up per soil test. Had to run a gallon plus per pot of RO water to get a lot of runoff and vacuum off the standing water. Probably ran 12-15 gallons thru each one over the course of a couple weeks between grows. The EC came down a bunch from testing the runoff. After this grow soil sample will go back to Spectrum. At least that’s my opinion. Others may feel otherwise.