What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smart Pots

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
HENNESSY said:
http://www.canby.com/benwalker/SuperiorContainers.htm

wonder if he's out of stock

-the only thing im wondering is if big and chunky perlite is still useful in the smaller pots.
He's no longer a distributor for the Air-Pot products. At the wholesale nursery warehouse I was at this morning and was looking at 5 different auto-pruning products and the salesman went to his back office and brought out one of the Air-Pot devices and asked if I'd ever seen these before.

I told him that I had and we began discussing the weird distributing process that the Air-Pot people have put into place in North America. He told me that the gentleman in Canby, Oregon is no longer associated with them and that the Air-Pot people have tried to get nursery stock suppliers in California without any luck and they were down to the 3rd tier level distributors in Oregon in search of an outlet.

I asked him if they were going to carry them and he said they decided not to for this season and 'might take a look at them for next year' but he sounded doubtful.

Not that they don't work well - they do. The pricing is beyond goofy for the nursery stock industry. It's absolutely silly compared to other products that work as well, an in some cases, better than the Air-Pot.

The nursery stock industry is very conservative and doesn't make changes 'just because' and when you trying to sell a product that is 1200-1500% more expensive that what they're currently using and making a profit to boot, there's little reason for them to change.

I'm still trying to figure out how to post a PDF file without putting it up on a web page. Hmmmmmm............

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Vetus Fossor said:
These Air pots...are they soft sided? So they can be crowded in? I'm sorry if I over read it if it was posted.
The Air-Pot product is a plastic-extrusion product, It's very rigid.

MPL

Hmm I'm very interested in this. Since the airpots don't seem to be available, I might see if I can find some Smartpots. Those work on the same principle yes?

Oh, what volume is the number size on a pot equivalent to? For instance, how much volume does a #3 or #5 pot have?

Thanks!

MoleMcHenry

I'd really like to see a side by side comparison with the same lights, soil, and clones. If anyone could document the benefits of root pruning pots, I'd love to see it.

jus'plain'gill

I've got some of the 1 gal "smart pots" just sitting around and was thinking about putting the 1 week old Diesel Ryder straight into them.

My question: Can I plant straight into my smart pots after germination? Is that too big a container to start in? Too much moisture shouldn't be a problem but before I go and do it, I thought I could bounce that idea off you folks. Thanks!

MoleMcHenry

hey gill, I'd germinate the seeds in a solo cup (clear allows you to see root development, but colored is just fine) in some good soil that won't burn your plants, like FFHF or Black Gold. The smaller cup will allow you to quickly build a good root ball and after you get that, you'll be ready to transplant into your smart pot.

PS- Welcome to ICMag! Great first post...

Last edited:

jus'plain'gill

Thanks for the welcome. I've been cruising these boards reading info religiously w/o a single post for 5 years maybe, and I can't believe I asked such a simple question as my first, haha.

Some plants like to be pot or root bound and others can't stand it. I guess MJ is somewhere inbetween...

JungleBoi

They are available, but you need to buy an entire bundle of them at a time (20-50 in each bundle) which comes to about $150.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hey JB welcome to IC,

which ones, I need a bundle anyway, where they the Smart pots or the Air pots?

S

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
JungleBoi said:
They are available, but you need to buy an entire bundle of them at a time (20-50 in each bundle) which comes to about $150.
i actually need about that many, do you have a link to where these can be purchased.

jrw

Clackamas Coot said:
I'm still trying to figure out how to post a PDF file without putting it up on a web page. Hmmmmmm............

How about copy/paste that PDF and post it here? :nono:

Whatever it takes, dammit!

G

Spin-Out is a copper based paint that you can spray on the insides of plastic pots to prune the roots, basically doing the same thing. The manufacturer also sells pots with spin-out already in place. This was talked about on OG back in the day.

Pond baskets are another idea. Check google for images. The big box stores carry them in the pond dept. I'll be giving the local stores a check right now...

MoleMcHenry

Hey Clackamas Coot, if you like, you can email the PDF to me and I can post the text. Just PM me and I will give you my email address.

Cheers,
Mole

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
MoleMcHenry said:
Hey Clackamas Coot, if you like, you can email the PDF to me and I can post the text. Just PM me and I will give you my email address.

Cheers,
Mole
Mole

Done & did...........