What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HELP! tent temps

Basically first timer here.. im all set up.. put my seeds for germination paper towel method.. soon as tap root came out i put into peat pellet and put into tent...

the temps i am getting is 32/33 degree's max and about 19 at night with lights off

what can i do? or will this be okay?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Basically first timer here.. im all set up.. put my seeds for germination paper towel method.. soon as tap root came out i put into peat pellet and put into tent...

the temps i am getting is 32/33 degree's max and about 19 at night with lights off

what can i do? or will this be okay?
run you lights at night vs the day.

pinkus

Veteran
extract hot air from top. Seal all intakes at top and open all at the BOTTOM. NEVER have your extraction duct pointing down.

You would be amazed by how much of a difference these little tweaks make, and how many just ignore it.

You can't see air, it can't make a difference, right?

LOL. Oh so wrong

Easy7

Veteran
Venting outside helps a lot in the summer, otherwise shut down or run A/C. Advice to run at night also helps, but not as much if venting indoors.

3.41 BTU's a watt no matter what the electronic is.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi.
If you don't have a cooltube or similar air cooled reflector then i suggest you get one of those set-ups. Those are just about a must for summer tent grows for me.
..if that isn't an option

Get one of these, a bathroom exhaust fans and some duct hose. Place the exhaust fan on the floor outside the tent to blow cooler air into the tent. Air is cooler at floor level.
bathroom-exhaust-fan-500x500.jpg

And like suggested earlier, try to figure out how the warm air exiting the tent can blow as far as possible from the tent and the near by area. And yea, close all inlets on the top part of the tent so that the exhaust fan inside the tent sucks the cooler air from the inlets near the floor.

G

ganjygav

I only run my lights at night for this reason. Where are you extracting to?

troutman

Seed Whore
Like others say run at night if daytime is too warm. :tiphat:

So move your timer forward a little each day and soon you'll be running at night.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cooling

Cooling

Hi,
There are some excellent suggestions here, especially about 'lights-on' at night, as this has other often overlooked benefits; If you are surrounded by trees as I am, you can make the most of their respiratory cycle with the outside air you're drawing into your growroom. At night all the trees around you give out CO2 and your plants will love this at lights-on. The reverse is also true, that in the daytime your plants will be supping Oxygen rich air in the darkness - ideal!
I struggle with heat too, especially as I grow in a 'loftie' and so do very little growing in the summer for this reason. Sometimes it's more about adapting your own schedule and expectations, so that you achieve that stellar grow you've been dreaming about, rather than that rush to see the buds!

Blue freezer blocks are very helpful in keeping the temps down, especially in a small space like a grow tent. I keep 48 of them in my freezer, so I can stack 12 blocks behind each of my two fans and have a back-up 24 still frozen so that I can rotate them when the temps are at their highest. I sounds like a ballache and it is but it's better than seeing your girls suffering.

Good luck fella.
Peace and happy growing,
Iffy :tiphat:

G

ganjygav

That's where the problem is then, only part of that hot air is being taken out of the room. Most of it will be getting sucked back into the tent.

I use a bit of camouflaged netting and I wrap it around my ducting. Then I put anything like teddy bears either side of it and sit it on my windowsill facing out of window.
Drop a net curtain in front of it and nobody outside knows what's there.
My other window I sit my intake fan at in the same fashion. With both windows open I never have temp problems.

Get a little ghetto stealth going on.

G

ganjygav

Can you tell I've got a grow in that room?
picture.php

Problem with the way you're set up now is that the wind will blow into the room through the windows forcing the hot air back. Get them pipes as close to the windows as possible and life will instantly be better lol

How are people in Jamaica growing at high temps? ambient temp went down from 25 to 24 and my grow tent when from 31/33 to 28/29 and now the ambient temp dropped to 20 and grow room at 25... but this is all due to outdoor weather... which means my temps will fluctuate due to weather...

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cooling

Cooling

Hi,
Further to all this and supporting Dog Star; in saying you need A/C if you're determined to grow in the summer months. However, if you 'fan-assist' the usually crappy exhaust fans in the mid-range A/C units, you can greatly increase their efficiency;

My 900btu home A/C unit works a treat with 6" fan sucking that hot air out and I vent it straight out of the chimney. Don't forget to try the blue freezer blocks, as they do really work in a tent.

If high temps persist, you might have to add CO2 to the air to help the plants cope but it only really works at temps of 88f and above. Here's a simple method of producing CO2 at lights-on;

My little home-made CO2 generator made out of a Subway salad tray, some string, an old plastic bottle and a tap. You put a mound of bicarbonate of soda in the tray and 3/4 fill the bottle with white vinegar. When it drips into the bicarb, it produces CO2 and a little fan will circulate it. Easy to make and ideal for a tent.

Don't give up the fight!

Iffy :tiphat:

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
More Cooling Tips

More Cooling Tips

Hi again,

I can't use my Hid system until 1st or 2nd week Sept due to the heat, as growing in a 'loftie' has its own particular challenges, especially with regard to controlling escalating temps in the summer. I use a vented Powerplant 300W CFL light in this period for vegging on the clones, so they are ready for the big switch-on in September. However, even the CFL put out enough heat for it to be an issue, so I butchered a cheap Chinese Laptop Cooling table for the USB powered fans and all the switchgear. I decided to attach everything with d-sided tape so it could all be stripped off without a mark, so inside a couple of hours, I produced this!

Simple but it works and right at this moment, I'm glad of it. The fans just draw the heat out quicker so it can be exhausted by the nearby fan and thereby keeping the mean temps lower.

Have a go, it's dead easy!
Regards - Iffy :tiphat: