What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let Groundhogs dig your holes! Not a joke

little wing

:dance013:
Years ago I was out digging a hole for a small grow when I saw a huge mound of dirt. It was a woodchuch nest. These guys are all over in my area and all they want to do is dig. Me, not so much.

So I trained my new friends to dig deeper, rounder and more straight down. Looked around the net for a tek and saw none, so Here's what I do.

Find one of the many holes the use for one burrow. Drive metal stakes for them to dig around. The next day you can close it off or let them dig more, just move stakes. They love to dig, don't worry.

Anyone else do this or need more info?

[url='https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77370&pictureid=1860470']

T

Teddybrae

this is great to see you aligning with Nature instead of battling it!

here in the Land of Oz we have a large bird that makes huge nests on the ground out of leaves and small branches. the pile composts fungally and provides heat for hatching the young. when the birds have finished using these they are piles they are of perfect tilth and just need added animal manure for bacteria.

We also have small marsupials in one of our deserts that are capable of turning over 7 tonnes of leaf litter each year ... much like yr groundhogs must dig in litter.

cheers from Oz!

Last edited:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thats really cool!

What happens then once you plant in the hole, won't they dig it all up to get to the burrow?

little wing

picture.php
[/url] Hey Pal, a few bricks or rocks and red peppers, they move on. Most burrows have four or five entrances. They don't seem to like cannabis as much as you or I. I forgot to post a pic when I first found my latest hole. Might work with other critters, stay tuned.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
If I point to the ground and say dig it out my dog digs looking for snakes. We do not have poisonous snakes around here. He is a natural snake hound. I don't encourage him to kill snakes as they keep the rodents in check, but if he sees one, game over.

So I have a vegetable farm. I point to a spot and say dig it out. He digs I drop a tomato plant in. Measure and point he digs it out I put plant in. He loves it. Such a character that dog. We did this for 12 hours a day, everyday this spring. Good helper that's for sure because it saves my back big-time.