What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

visiting Amsterdam next week. Where is a great sativa to be found?

vajra

I haven't been to Adam since 1997. At that time, I went to Grey Area and Katsu to get sativas.

Where should I go now?

Here are my thoughts:

de Dampkring: Kali Mist

Bluebird: crystal clear (hash)

Katsu: ???

Also, what is A4? I have heard that it is terrific. I would also love to find some genuine Mr Nice Mango Haze if it is available.

Thanks for help, friends. Really looking forward to this trip!

vajra

GoatCheese

Veteran
Katsu's weed and hash is pre-bagged, mind you. But it's a cool shop. They have had Mango Haze on the menu.

Original Dampkring is a good shop. Dampkring 2 is run by different owner i think. The weed and hash i have bought from Original Dampkring has been ok.
I think .... i think i tried Nevil's Haze from De Dampkring few years ago and it was ok. They've had C5 and A5 Haze weed/hybrids on the menu from time to time. They also sell UK Cheese as "Exodus" on the menu and thou it's not pure sativa i do recommend it. Mexican Haze they sell has been popular but i never tried it.

In the past people have liked the Nevil's Haze from De Kuil/420 Cafe, but i have never tried it

Voyagers near by the train station is a popular shop.

Kadinsky seems to have fairly many Haze hybrids on the menu and the weed i have bought from them some years ago was decent.

Here's a site where you can see photos of current/fairly new coffeeshop menus from Amsterdam and few other Dutch cities.
https://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/CoffeeshopMenus.htm

Here's a coffeeshop forums where you can read people's reviews of Coffeeshop weed and hash:
https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/index.php

Have a nice trip.:)

GoatCheese

Veteran
eehhhh,, almost everywhere, have a good time, goodluck.
That's not how it works in Amsterdam. Maybe 15-20 years ago it was like that but not nowadays. There's lots of unflushed/harsh weed in Adam that will cost you 13-15 euros/gram.

You really need to know which coffeeshop has consistent weed quality month after month. But i can't tell you that cause i buy more hash in Adam than weed, and i haven't been there for few years.

Even in the well known coffeeshops, like Grey Area, the quality of weed (same strain) can change from batch to batch. I have bought one of the best smokes of my life from Grey Area, UK Cheese, but when i bought UK Cheese from them the next year it was absolutely horrible; harsh as hell, didn't burn well and it left a burned taste in your mouth.
Some coffeeshops sell the weed at a discount if it's poorly grown, like Voyagers, but not Grey Area = Weed heaven or weed hell, the price stays the same.

Good hash is easier to find but there's tons of expensive shitty weed in Adam's coffeeshops.
:)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
no body has real sativa hash- no one is growing weed for a 5/6mos flowering cycle and then turning it into hash when they can flower 60day weed ... its all about $$$$

THC123

Veteran
It is almost impossible to find good weed in Amsterdam. Most of it is too dry and harsh and not flushed and who knws what else is inside those buds. I always bring my own weed when I go to amsterdam. Sometimes I buy one or two grams and I am always dissapointed and feel ripped off. Prices are also way to high for what you get.

In Barcelona the weed was much better. As a grower, I could appreciate the weed from Barcelona. But Amsterdam is real shit.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Do try some amnesia if you can find a good batch. It’s kinda like Europe’s OG Kush

But bare in mind that they sell two different "Amnesias" in Amsterdam. They sell Amnesia Haze originally from Soma but also bud named just Amnesia which is apparently a cutting of Super Silver Haze.
...and then some coffeeshops can even name their bud the wrongway, so if you wanna try Soma's Amnesia Haze, it's best to ask the budtender which strain their Amnesia(Haze) really is.
There's alot of re-naming of bud going on in Adam and some shops/budtenders don't even know what they're selling.

Who supplies the weed to coffee shops in Amsterdam? I always wondered that.
Basically "criminals" cause it's illegal to grow weed in Holland. Hash is brought into the country illegally as well
..yet they can sell these openly, go figure.:)

NotYourSaviour

It is almost impossible to find good weed in Amsterdam. Most of it is too dry and harsh and not flushed and who knws what else is inside those buds. I always bring my own weed when I go to amsterdam. Sometimes I buy one or two grams and I am always dissapointed and feel ripped off. Prices are also way to high for what you get.

In Barcelona the weed was much better. As a grower, I could appreciate the weed from Barcelona. But Amsterdam is real shit.

Roughly this is my opinion about it too,THC123, cheers! Also about Spain yet, Dutch coffeeshop grass is just bloody commercial in a bad way but they seemingly still live off their great reputation from the 1980/1990s(among many other factors though)and get mostly away with it yet.
Always wonder, especially if reading reports from growers going and raving about grass there, what type of quality people are used to, let alone what growers grow themselves at home then.

That's why only go for hashish more or less myself there on the regular but that's another matter .

However, even though I don't care about lame marketing tools such as 'sativa' or 'indica'(sure there are strains more uppish or stony or inbetween but this has nothing to do with such terms as proved already, too) this thread on here helps for a bit of directions perhaps: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=314291 .

Enjoy your trip nonetheless, Vajra, city changed a lot since 1997 I can tell you! For the good and the bad but it is a beautiful but expensive city in itsself and smoking grass is just a bonus. Just go to some shops with sorta reputation and ask for uppish effects.
Break a leg:biggrin:!

vajra

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your detailed, generous replies to my post.

My wife and I spent three lovely days in Amsterdam and fell in love with the city all over again. The people were happy, helpful, welcoming and everyone wanted to ask us how we felt about Donald Trump (but asked in a repectful way, although a feisty, resepctable way).

The food is world class and not too expensive. I am writing this from Paris, where value to euro seems out of proportion. Then again, I don't like French food, despite being a retired chef.

In amsterdam, I can confirm: the weed is disappointing. I was puzzled after each purchase.
Neville's Haze from De Dampkring: lovely to look at, not much effect other than a racy heart and cloudy mind.
Gorilla Glue #4 from De Dampkring: pungent, nice buds with a mild relaxing effect. Must not be the superhyped strain from the US.
Mango Haze from Katsu: Lovely sweet smell followed by almost nothing in the head. A bit tiring.

That's it!
wait, one more:
Kali Mist, grown in my home under CMH light using promix and GH maxigrow and a super lazy schedule: powerful, fragrant, long lasting cerebral high that mixes in plenty of euphoria. Outstanding! I only brought half a gram, but glad I did!

I am a lazy grower in the US, grow my alotted six plants (and my wife's six plants) with no special effort or attention put on them. But everything I grow: SSH, Mango Haze, Kali Mist, Chimera strains (especially Simply Irresistable) and ACE gear outshines what I found in Amsterdam this week. This blows my mind!

I visited Amsterdam in 1997 for the second time and felt it had the most impressive ganja in the world (in my world, at least). Now, it is like Colorado. If you can grow your own, and you know who has the seedlines you like, that is the route for a deeper appreciation of cannabis.

Right now I have 2 Kali Mists, 1 massive ACE Panama with intense lemon aroma, two Chimera Simply Irresistables, and a Mango Haze CBD hanging to dry in my Colorado home. When I get back, I will return to the cannabis I enjoy the most.

Again, I loved amsterdam, especially the people and the food and the way the city cares for itself. Brief impressions from a brief visit, and of course I didn't see the shadow side. And I appreciate the responses to my initial question.

al70

Veteran
That's not how it works in Amsterdam. Maybe 15-20 years ago it was like that but not nowadays. There's lots of unflushed/harsh weed in Adam that will cost you 13-15 euros/gram.

You really need to know which coffeeshop has consistent weed quality month after month. But i can't tell you that cause i buy more hash in Adam than weed, and i haven't been there for few years.

Even in the well known coffeeshops, like Grey Area, the quality of weed (same strain) can change from batch to batch. I have bought one of the best smokes of my life from Grey Area, UK Cheese, but when i bought UK Cheese from them the next year it was absolutely horrible; harsh as hell, didn't burn well and it left a burned taste in your mouth.
Some coffeeshops sell the weed at a discount if it's poorly grown, like Voyagers, but not Grey Area = Weed heaven or weed hell, the price stays the same.

Good hash is easier to find but there's tons of expensive shitty weed in Adam's coffeeshops.
:)
i found the best weed on the german border, goodluck.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Kashmir Lounge has some imported Malawi on their mot recent menu, plus an amazing selection of hash. I actually nearly cried when I read the selection, I can only hope it will remain the same until I visit next June... Malawi import!!!

Black Star CS has some imports from Ghana, you just can't go wrong with Ghana weed ;p

https://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/

update: I would also suggest Pick Up The Pieces CS, it's rather low key and not amongst the most reknown/heard about, but they can have a nice selection of black hash and import ganja. I have especially fond memories of some Durban Poison scored there, wicked text-book speed-like smoke, a single cig sent me on a non-stop 3-hours walk. By "non-stop" I mean that my brain was like "hey let's have break, we can sit there", but my legs were like "uh, non sense, shut up and let's keep going, we're in control!" Baaahaha ! Freaky schwag... ;p

Irie! :wave: