What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's wrong with my pepper plant?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
There appears to be wilting on mostly the top leaves as well as some yellowing and spots. I seem to be doing everything right and my other plant isn't having this problem. Possibly mosaic virus? Figured someone here would know.

Last edited:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
overwatering?

pinch between thumb and forefinger the very tip of the leaf...

if its moist back off on the watering.

get a moisture meter from amazon :comfort:

JustSumTomatoes

Nope not over watering. No moisture coming from the leaves when I pinch them. Also, the soil is not overly moist and I have not been watering them very much lately. Thank you though.

xet

Way too much water.

Let the soil dry, stop keeping it moist, and let the leaves show some need for water.

I used to grow 60 peppers trees in my back yard with tabascos 7' tall and lots of other varieties.

You are killing your plant

JustSumTomatoes

Miracle grow potting mix (yeah I know MG sucks.) I added some perlite to it to help with drainage. The pot it's in is about 7 gallons give or take. Soil is beginning to dry out now. It's a hot banana pepper plant I got on clearance. The jalapeno plant beside it seems to be doing better than it at the moment. First time growing peppers for me. Figured they were cheap so I'd give them a shot.

JustSumTomatoes

So I haven't been watering the pepper plant at all and it is continuing to get the yellowing, spots, and crumpled leaves. Now my tomato plants that are beside it which where thriving are now showing similar spotting and leave yellowing which is indicative of a mosaic virus. I've grown tomatoes for years and never have seen this until the diseased pepper plant showed up. I'm new to peppers but not tomatoes, something is definitely up.

Bluto

No miracle grow. I'm from the SW chiles thrive is shitty well draining soil. The less water the hotter. In New Mexico we are fanatical about our chiles. Too much rain late ruins our harvest. We want hot New Mexico Chiles. Peace Dr. Xmas

JustSumTomatoes

So an update on the pepper plant... It's still dying and looks like total shit. Cut back watering and leaves are continuing to yellow, get holes, shrivel up and drop off.

Last edited:

JustSumTomatoes

Here is the pepper plant beside it. It's being given identical care and is in the same soil.

Last edited:

JustSumTomatoes

My tomatoes (which were thriving until the pepper plant showed up) are showing signs of the same disease. I've grown tomatoes for years and never had this issue. The plant that was leaning up against the pepper plant has it the worst and has rotting fruit. The tomato plant beside it is stating to show the same symptoms. Everything I've read on tomatoes says it's a mosaic virus.

Last edited:

JustSumTomatoes

Google fusarium and verticillum wilt, and tomato spotted wilt virus.

Looks just like the tomato spotted wilt virus. From what I read on it over 1000 species in over 85 families, including many vegetables, peanuts and tobacco can be hosts for it. Sounds and looks like a candidate for sure. Unfortunately there is no cure for it and it is very contagious with it being spread by direct contact or pest/insect vectors. It will eventually kill the infected plants.

Sadly I will have to cull my pepper plant and at least one of the tomatoes. The other tomato plant is holding out a bit and is still producing fruit so I'll give it a chance. Hopefully my healthy pepper plant won't get sick too.

Thanks for the info Betterhaff. :good: