What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

JOSH D OG KARMA GENETICS WHAT'S YOUR THOUGHTS

Mohadib

Veteran
Hey everyone,
I didn’t want to open yet another thread to provide some info on the Josh D OG, so I thought I'd bump this thread instead in an attempt to pool the info on this strain a little more^^

Anyway, here's my first pheno. It's my second run with her. The pics were taken at 49 and 52 days respectively. It's one of the most vigorous plants I've run, especially in veg. She's very frugal: when grown in conventional soil, she doesn't need any additional nutes (during the first run, I fed her a single dose of Mg – that was it). The stretch on her is massive, particularly with clones; she at least triples in size! Clones take their time, but root easily over all. The yield is average, but that’s no concern for me. On the negative side: She grew some balls pretty early in flower. Easy to detect and to plug and therefore nothing to worry about, but uncool anyway…

While the plant itself was (and still is) mostly great, the aroma and taste have been a bit of a bummer as they weren’t as strong as would’ve hoped. Both are dominated by tones of gas, earth and pine, very similar to the TK I’ve tried, though a lot weaker.
The buds were pretty ‘dry’, with the resin being somewhat ‘sandy’, not greasy at all. It only took her 61 days to be ready, so she’s definitely on the fast side of things.

The high, however, is A++ - one of the best I’ve ever encountered. Extremely potent, yet very gentle. It kicks in immediately and starts off very heady. After about 30-45 minutes it morphs into a very balanced head/body-high that completely caresses you without any signs of paranoia or racyness. It’s just a very nice state of being that takes away any kind of stress from your body as well as from your head - very similar to the high 'real' OGs provide, but a little less devastating. It’s easy to handle, even when you’re among strangers, it’s social and it’s very well combinable with alcohol, unlike most haze-hybrids I’ve had for example.

Curiously, the buds of the clone-plants look completely different from the buds on the seed plant (though I’ve encountered that phenomenon before, just not as distinctly). They are a lot frostier, a lot stickier and – lo and behold! – the aroma is A LOT louder! Not only is it louder but also more complex: The gas / earth / pine tones are still dominant, but now there are also nuances of musk and even some citrus-tones coming through.​
I’m curious to see how they turn out this time. If the aroma and taste improved I will keep her around since it’s a very nice plant over all that provides a superb high.

Oh, pheno #2 is at 32 days of flowering right now. She smells similar to pheno #1, but a little more interesting. I’ll post some info on her in a few days. Cheers!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hey everyone,
I didn’t want to open yet another thread to provide some info on the Josh D OG, so I thought I'd bump this thread instead in an attempt to pool the info on this strain a little more^^

Anyway, here's my first pheno. It's my second run with her. The pics were taken at 49 and 52 days respectively. It's one of the most vigorous plants I've run, especially in veg. She's very frugal: when grown in conventional soil, she doesn't need any additional nutes (during the first run, I fed her a single dose of Mg – that was it). The stretch on her is massive, particularly with clones; she at least triples in size! Clones take their time, but root easily over all. The yield is average, but that’s no concern for me. On the negative side: She grew some balls pretty early in flower. Easy to detect and to plug and therefore nothing to worry about, but uncool anyway…

While the plant itself was (and still is) mostly great, the aroma and taste have been a bit of a bummer as they weren’t as strong as would’ve hoped. Both are dominated by tones of gas, earth and pine, very similar to the TK I’ve tried, though a lot weaker.
The buds were pretty ‘dry’, with the resin being somewhat ‘sandy’, not greasy at all. It only took her 61 days to be ready, so she’s definitely on the fast side of things.

The high, however, is A++ - one of the best I’ve ever encountered. Extremely potent, yet very gentle. It kicks in immediately and starts off very heady. After about 30-45 minutes it morphs into a very balanced head/body-high that completely caresses you without any signs of paranoia or racyness. It’s just a very nice state of being that takes away any kind of stress from your body as well as from your head - very similar to the high 'real' OGs provide, but a little less devastating. It’s easy to handle, even when you’re among strangers, it’s social and it’s very well combinable with alcohol, unlike most haze-hybrids I’ve had for example.

Curiously, the buds of the clone-plants look completely different from the buds on the seed plant (though I’ve encountered that phenomenon before, just not as distinctly). They are a lot frostier, a lot stickier and – lo and behold! – the aroma is A LOT louder! Not only is it louder but also more complex: The gas / earth / pine tones are still dominant, but now there are also nuances of musk and even some citrus-tones coming through.​
I’m curious to see how they turn out this time. If the aroma and taste improved I will keep her around since it’s a very nice plant over all that provides a superb high.

Oh, pheno #2 is at 32 days of flowering right now. She smells similar to pheno #1, but a little more interesting. I’ll post some info on her in a few days. Cheers!

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

Very good description also my clones are going very slow wich are 3 weeks old and not done much yor description on the smell is spot on and sandy resin is how 2 out of 3 were one was very good with resin but it went 80days in flower and a hashy lemon smell

JetLife175

Veteran
Been smoking on the selection used at josh D farms and sold in dispensaries in California and I have to say they picked a winner. It’s pure gassy piney greasy OG funk. I would have guessed it was an old OG cut that’s been tightly held instead of new gear. Truly amazing herb.

Mohadib

Veteran
Been smoking on the selection used at josh D farms and sold in dispensaries in California and I have to say they picked a winner. It’s pure gassy piney greasy OG funk. I would have guessed it was an old OG cut that’s been tightly held instead of new gear. Truly amazing herb.

After all I've heard and seen, the line is very well able to produce some extraordinary plants that are very close to the 'base material'.
However, apparently you have to be somewhat lucky to actually find one of these models - especially compared to Karma's Biker Kush, that seems to constantly spit out outstanding OG-type plants that are extremely terpy and provide a very intensive, complex and rich flavor, very close to the original.

As Karma himself said, the complex genetic make-up of the Josh D OG is - among other things - suppose to provide an overview of the different expressions of OG Kush. So I guess heaving to deal with phenos that are comparetively dull in terms of aroma and flavor is part of the lines 'charm'^^
But all things considered, I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone who doesn't have the means to hunt through a rather large number of plants to find something that really comes close to what's considered 'OG' - in my experience there's other KG strains that are better suited for that kind of endeavor :)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
yeah ... i bought '5' fem seeds.... the weed was all good, but none was really special- kept '2' pheno's... will run em one more time to try n dial in...

DutchHazeDog

I will add my experience with josh d regular seeds so far:
Grew 10 spread over 2 sessions, got 6 females. All were surprisingly very similar, similar flower structure, very similar terps with only slight differences.

I ended up selecting the most mold resistant (had a ventilation problem and mould spread and 1 Josh D pheno was particularly resistant) , which was also the most terpy pheno and vigorous with biggest yield so I guess the pheno selection part ended up being an easy decision :D

Some notes about what stands out with this Josh D compared to other strains:
- as others have described, mossy woody herbal spices og
- can't take a flower with me to the office or the building will smell (like with all very good og)
- the resin is of very very high quality: it is very sticky, keeps it's smell very well. When doing and ice water extraction the resulting hash fully keeps the terp profile of the Josh D!! This is truly exceptional in my experience very very few plants share this trait.
- The resin hash hashy qualities, touching the buds to put in grinder = finger hash
--> one of the most important things for other growers!! : in my experience the Josh D really performs based on its age and health, health too young or not in optimal health and it is good but far from amazing and not near it's full potential. Growing older / from clone and in perfect health, much more terps, more special deeper terps and special effect. Don't do her dirty!! :D

I will post a formal review with pics when I finish another few rounds with this clone

I only have pics of the mildew session, and she is under fed.. So can't look much worse than this :)
Grown in living soil under leds
IMG_20221119_081718.jpg IMG_20221119_083136.jpg IMG_20221119_083149.jpg

Last edited:

goingrey

The taste is incredible maybe the strongest tasting weed I have ever tried it is like on another level.

But the high is a little bit too heady/cerebral for me. Sometimes that's what you need but it's not always what I want so the jars empty slowly. It's got like this quality of reminding you of work you need to get done. Go-getter weed, must be why they are starting to make it legal in some places hehe.