What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Polyploidy revisited

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
eh a doubled haploid plant would depend on the genes of the parent. A doubled haploid would by know means be all runts.

You could get homozygous pairings for really nice traits or bad ones. Its all genetic.
Homozygous cannabis can be plants excellent if you want to breed with them. Most stuff out is all one time one off crosses people name...

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
eh a doubled haploid plant would depend on the genes of the parent. A doubled haploid would by know means be all runts.

You could get homozygous pairings for really nice traits or bad ones. Its all genetic.
Homozygous cannabis can be plants excellent if you want to breed with them. Most stuff out is all one time one off crosses people name...
Sure it depends on the genetics and there sure are many traits leading to fabulous phenotypes but having the whole genome in homozygous form is most of the times lethal.
Do you know how a doubled haploid is made? Guess not...
You don't have the possibility to select what you get and hence have no way to remove harmful/lethal traits. If you get 1% viable and fertile plants when making doubled haploids you're already lucky, if you get a nice plant you're like a Euromillion lottery winner :) (unless you can produce thousands at a time, then you can cherry-pick)! Doubled haploid crops aren't great for sowing or such, they're just good for making F1's wherein unwanted or 'bad' recessive traits won't show anymore. As you say, they can be great for breeding even if they're runts ;) .

Apart from that, I don't understand your last sentence... sorry!

purple_man

Veteran
only way to achieve a "double haploid" is via in vitro anther or ovula cultures.
what you are describing sounds like a normal runt or virus infected plant...

blessss

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guess not?? What does that mean ornamental? Do you often ask questions of people then answer them yourself? Do you suggest there is some secret to making double haploid plants that only you would know? Give me a break... lol.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Hey Tony, I didn't meant to offend you; sorry if I did!
It's simply the way you write (not the grammar) that gave me the impression that you don't know. As said, it was a guess and therefore, I may be wrong as well and you do...

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All I meant to say is a doubled hap can be a valuable breeding tool. The last line meant most breeders are just breeding a poly hybrid to a polyhybrid and naming it. Very few put in alot of effort breeding let alone the effort to produce and select from double haps which can produce truly stellar f1s.

More so commenting on the mention of double haps being all runts by someone earlier in the thread....

Only Ornamental

Veteran
yes Only Ornamental tetraploids do have a 4 node /leaf pattern
If you want to see tri- and tetraploid plants, check out this thread by BuddhaSeeds. They have two leaves per node like a normal diploid plant ;) . Furthermore, every crop or ornamental plant that has a modified ploidy has the same leaf pattern as the original with no regard how many chromosomes more (or less) it has.

If your really into the tetraploid thing I think you can still get a Pink Kush tetraploid from this guy http://billybudd.zappersoftware.com/ Bill comes accross a bit kooky but he is a bit of a mad scientist. I managed to get 6 tetraploid Pink Kush from Bill he discourages his clients from tetraploid Pink Kush because they grow slow and he feels they are more subject to spider mite attack. I can vouch for the slower growth but I didn't find it anymore likely to get spider mites than any other plant. I can also vouch for the potentcy first time I blazed up some of the shit it was the end of a long long trimming day I fired up a nice chunk of scissor hash and ended up having to lay on the floor half way from the kitchen table to the couch for about 15 minutes. The stuff can be pretty strong it's trippy if you smoke enough thats why I tamed it down a notch by crossing it with reefermans purple kush. If your a real marijuana enthusiast this tetraploid Pink Kush is great to smoke and play around with in breeding projects ect. When crossing this plant with other strains you get totally unexpected results the offspring look and grow totally opposite the Pink Kush, grow fast tall and big boned but so far with lower potency than the Pink Kush, real good but not like pure tetraploid Pink Kush but better than the other side of the cross. I did reverse a small clone and made seeds in an effort to save the strain from extingtion and ended up with about 100 seeds. Just by chance I started germing some of my S1 Pink Kush seeds yesterday looks like 10 out of 10 cracked over night I thought I might get say 4 out of 10 because the seeds I did manage to make didn't look all that hot but there all going to go for it. I think Bill shoved all his Pinks through a wood chipper in Vancouver when the marijuana laws were about to change only to find out the next day the courts overrid the government but I think his people still have tetraploid Pink Kush clones in Toronto, no seeds though. Anyway this Pink Kush is an awesome plant for a lot of different reasons for any growing or breeding enthusiast.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Depends on which of the topics you are interested in. My line of trifoliars is at the bay by request only I think.
But if you're after triploid genetics, good luck.