What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Warning new off gassing product!!!!

U.G.U

evlme2
NGW has sold hose for awhile, no? How far back does this problem go? Or is it a new place they get their hose from?

NGW has sold hose for a very long time. I noticed that it changed packaging and they started putting there name on it about a year ago. That is when my problem started. I pulled my last great harvest july 09 from there on out my plants pretty much died. I was able to get some plants to flower but my yeild was almost nothing. It went from 1.5lb a light down to 5oz a light on the best run. We pulled 2.5lb to 4lb in each room running ten 1000's a room. Also Is it possible to have this stickied for a few weeks? I want as many people to see this as possible.

S

snoopytime

Evlme2 - im a pissant but in my opinion you should consult with the board and do a spam to all members . . like really there could be some people with yellow rooms that rarely check the forum. I am a hound and I still only found this by luck, I happened to check my regular 'indoor grows - hydro' forum list when this happened to be in the top 20 or so. Plus the title should be changed to NGW HOSE OFFGASSING WARNING or something. I had to read it for 2 mins to find out what it was that was offgassing. I bet theres at least 50% of the people that have this hose that saw the title and thoguht it was about tents so they didnt clik it . . thats what I almost did *whew*

bendoslendo

Wow guys, sorry about all the damage this bullshit product caused you.

UGU, I hope you get all your cars and toys back.

son-of-a-biii-otch!! I spent 500$ on hose an cut all shit up. Now I got that same problem. And it is the ngw crap. After this run i'm changing it all out. thanks for the heads up, now i can stop bitching. :tiphat:

G

Guest 18340

Glad to know the blue GH blue hose is good.
I don't mod this forum so I don't have the "Keys" to be able to make a sticky here in the hydro forum, but I'm gonna try copying/posting it in the Nutrients forum.
This info needs to be EVERYWHERE!

SoCoMMJ

Fuck

This explains the declining condition of my mothers since I moved them into the hydro veg area. Looks exactly like the pictures. I couldn't figure out why super healthy mothers suddenly went into decline.

Looks like im changing out 200'+ of this shit, in little 10"-12" pieces. I know what I'm doing this whole freaking weekend.

Thanks for the diligence! You may have saved more people than you realize.

Maybe it was a DEA ploy to kill off the industry.... The plot thickens.

U.G.U

KifGärtner
Unless your a just a few days away from pulling your plants I would change it out ASAP. It only gets worse and it happens fairly quick.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Definitely agree that this needs more public broadcast... I found it by accident, and I've lost crops to this crappy product.

My first action was to put a link in my sig to this thread.

It seems like a small action that we can do, even without moderator intervention.

U.G.U, are you posting on other sites?

U.G.U

How do I identify phthalates in products?
There is no easy way to tell if a product has added phthalates. Phthalates can be identified on labels by a three or four letter acronym that defines their chemical structures. Labels rarely state “contains phthalates”.
There are a multitude of phthalate compounds. Which phthalate compound is added to a product depends in part on their molecular weight (MW). Phthalates with a higher molecular weight (HMW) are very slightly soluble in water; phthalates with a lower molecular weight (LMW) are reasonably soluble in water.
The 8 most widely used phthalate compounds and their metabolites are:
• BBP: butyl benzyl phthalate (LMW) *, **, ***
MBzP: mono benzyl phthalate
• DBP: di-n-butyl phthalate (LMW) *, **, ***
MBP: mono-n-butyl phthalate
MiBP: mono-isobutyl phthalate
Most common phthalate added to nail polish.
• DEHP: di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (HMW) *, **, ***
MEHP: mono-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate
Most widely-added phthalate to polyvinyl
chloride (PVC) to make products flexible.
• DEP: diethyl phthalate (LMW)
MEP: monoethyl phthalate
Most common phthalate added to personal
care products to enhance fragrance.
• DiDP: di-isodecyl phthalate (HMW) *, **, ***
• DiNP: di-isononyll phthalate (HMW) *, **, ***
Most common phthalate added as a softener
in the manufacture of toys and childcare products, such as bath toys, drinking straws,
and rubber ducks.
• DnHP: di-n- hexyl phthalate *
• DnOP: di-n-octyl phthalate (LMW) **, ***
* Listed in California’s Proposition 65 as a reproductive and developmental toxicant.
** Listed in California’s AB1108 (Ma and Huffman). The bill, if passed, will ban use in the manufacture of any toy or childcare article intended for use by a child under three years of age.
*** European Union banned as a phthalate softener in the manufacture of toys and childcare articles.
Read Labels to avoid phthalates.
The most common products using phthalate compounds are:
PVC Products
Phthalates are frequently added to PVC (vinyl) products to soften and make more flexible. If a plastic product is flexible, it probably contains phthalates unless the label specifically says it does not.
Personal Care Products
Phthalates are often added to personal care products, such as nail polish, perfumes, deodorants, hair gels, shampoos, soaps, hair sprays, and body lotions, to help lubricate other substances in the formula and to carry fragrances. Phthalates must be listed among the ingredients on product labels, unless they are added as a part of the “fragrance.” Under current law, they can then simply be labeled “fragrance,” even though they may make up 20% or more of the product.
Many companies have voluntarily removed phthalates from their products. A company will usually label its product “phthalate-free.” If unsure, call the company. If you can’t get information from the manufacturer, look for alternatives.
How can I recognize plastic toys and
containers containing phthalates?
All plastics are not the same. One easy way to recognize plastic toys, clothing, bottles, food and beverage storage containers, and/or food wrap that may contain phthalate compounds is to look for the number 3 inside the universal recycling symbol usually molded into the plastic on the bottom of the product.
Avoid products with the number 3 within the arrows and the letters “V” or “PVC” below the arrows.
Choose products with the numbers 1,2, 4 and 5 within the arrows. Many companies use phthalate-free substances such as polypropylene (PP), recycling code 5, to manufacture plastic products

U.G.U

ImaginaryFriend
I have posted at cannabis,grasscity,marijuana passion, and rollit up. I have also emailed every mag and organazation around. Over at cannabis I got, what has to be an undercover NGW rep trying to say the not only is he not getting yellowing he claims that it is increasing his yeild. And he says he has 250x the levels in his room. Which the pic he provided looks like it came out of a NGW catalog(not marijuana i might ad). Then he says "This chemical is also present in the cat litter buckets I've used in DWC as well (and in much higher concentrations than what you've got listed)" so today I am at the pet store I look on the bottom of several different buckets all the ones I saw were HDPE High-density polyethylene with a number 2. And all plastics containg phthalate are numbered with 3.Its a Good read, I let him have its in the indoor growing section.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Wow.

Undercover NGW rep says that NGW is engineering cheap chinese hose that off-gasses and increases yields.

Man... all this time monkeying with genetics, lighting, nutes and environmental factors...

I should have just been throwing more plastic into the room.

Live and learn, I guess.

EDIT: @ U.G.U: You are going beyond the call. Respect.

S

snoopytime

Man yeah I saw the UGU, that guy is some salesman. Or politician, lol.
So I discovered the DAP caulk I just used 2 weeks ago says it has phthalates in the label . . oh boy . . so I just went out & got a hot glue gun. I think i better remove all the DAP & re-do it with hot glue gun goop.

bongo

I have been frustrated to the point of seriously considering just shutting down for a while due to this until I found this thread. Same story as everyone else, chased all these phantom issues for months and nothing ever helped. Before seeing this thread, I recently switched out my black 1/2" ngw tubing for some of their white. Interestingly enough, there was no ngw markings at all. The two types of tube also smelled noticeibly different with the white being the typical plastic smell while the black was very strong burnt rubberish. I only had the white stuff in there for a few days until I found this, my plants were still yellowing so I'm assuming the white stuff is bad too. At this point I'm ripping every inch of the shit out just to be safe.

S

snoopytime

I have been frustrated to the point of seriously considering just shutting down for a while due to this until I found this thread. Same story as everyone else, chased all these phantom issues for months and nothing ever helped. Before seeing this thread, I recently switched out my black 1/2" ngw tubing for some of their white. Interestingly enough, there was no ngw markings at all. The two types of tube also smelled noticeibly different with the white being the typical plastic smell while the black was very strong burnt rubberish. I only had the white stuff in there for a few days until I found this, my plants were still yellowing so I'm assuming the white stuff is bad too. At this point I'm ripping every inch of the shit out just to be safe.

Damm Bongo, glad you found this thread then! By the way, make SURE they are still yellowing as in getting MORE yellow. I changed mine out & the yellowing has stopped progressing, but UGU said they take 30 DAYS to recover from exposure which seems about right as all my plants are still frozen - they haven't grown a millimeter since I replaced that NGW shit on saturday. But, they had all frozen before I ripped it out.

I just got through covering up all my DAP white ALEX PLUS caulk *with FREE PHTALATES* yayyy! by hot glue gunning over it all. I figure comepltely covering it up ought to be close enough. Anyway, I read the MSDS, it seems to be different phthalates in it, not the kind we are trying to avoid.

kp^

I did not see this, but does anyone know or UGU do you know if this is a regional issue, or is this an issue with all the hose from ngw?

I was told there was like 3 or 4 regions for this tubing, and the source may be different. I.E west coast vs east cost, and mid-west etc.

Thanks for the info!!