What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One Pound Of BHO

Theicc

So i recently came into a pound of some dark bho(120g is in photo below). Im going to be trying different "experiments" and purification/refinement techniques. I'm also open to ideas and suggestions. If you want to see something specific, as long as its safe and reasonably priced, I might give it a try. A little background on the oil. It was made by a few of my buddies from trim and small-medium sized buds from this years outdoor harvest. I suggested from now on they separate the buds so they could do whole nug runs(which they started doing and are having much much better results.)
MAIN GOALS

• Remove fats, plant waxes, lipids and other contaminates.
  • Significantly lighten the color of the oil (Not sure if this is possible)
  • Final consistency being Stable (shatter, pull and snap) or honeycomb
  • Turn at least one of the oz into 90 percent plus total thc/thca
  • Have fun and learn some new tech
  • After seeing the thread about "jars of crystals." try and find a way to grow crystals with this as starting material.
BHO Bio

Starting Material: Unsorted trim about 10-20 percent nugs. Close sugar trim, fan leaves, stems, and nugs under a gram.
Extraction Method: Passive 5lb Closed loop system.
Solvent: Butane.
Purge: two AI 1.9 ovens @ 95°F for 5 days.

Finished experiments:

• "Winterize" 39 grams without freezing using aluminum oxide and methanol. (currently evaporating/purging methanol)

• winterize using 200 proof ethanol(currently evaporating/purging ethanol)
To Do List:

• try to isolate and purify cannabinoids/thc via dry column chromatography using hexane/ethyl acetate(in seperate run use chloroform/dichloromethan 2:1) to create fractions.
  • After Winterizing attempt to significantly lighten the oil using bleaching clay
  • After winterizing attempt to significantly lighten the oil using activated carbon
  • Try saturated salt water wash w/hexane
  • See if its possible to make butter/wax after dewaxing/winterizing bho
  • Try to Grow a thc crystal
So yea if anyone has any ideas or wants to see something let me know. Other than that this thread will kinda be like my journal.

Theicc

Dewaxing Using methanol and aluminum oxide.

Dewaxing Using methanol and aluminum oxide.

Starting weight: 39gs

• Dissolved 39gs of the bho into about 500 ml of Slightly heated(<90°F) methanol.

My "chromatography column" is also my old glass open blast extraction tube. Only things i did to it was drill the butane hole straight because it was swirled(like a spiral staircase" I also put rubber tape around the bottom where it sits in the filter flask. this was just so it wouldn't leak air when i pulled a vac. *If you have a Buckner funnel or separatory funnel you can use those as well.*

Theicc

• Packed chromatography column 1/3 the the way up with 220 grit white aluminum oxide powder. Put a ball of cotton at the bottom end to act as a filter.
  • I also packed my separatory funnel about 1/2 way with aluminum oxide but for the filter i cut an unbleached coffee filter into a circle and pushed it to bottom
  • Ran straight methanol through both to grab any aluminum oxide that was too fine for the filters.
  • Poured the methanol/bho solution into the top of the column and funnel.
  • Pulled a vacumn on the chromatography column

Theicc

Almost finished you can see the waxes stuck at the top.

Must not have packed column good enough looks like a channel was created not a big deal though

This is the methanol/bho mixture that has now been dewaxed.

A picture from bottom of the jar up pretty clear

This whole process took about 30 min from packing the tube to being pulled through the column. It was a lot more time efficient than winterizing but you are using methanol. I'm going to try this with ethanol and see if the results are the same. It would be a pretty cool way to cut out the freezing time.
Also quick note the sep. funnel did not get any vacuum and obviously it took WAY longer but most of the mixture did eventually go through.

• Next I evaporated some of the methanol by putting it in a pyrex dish sitting on a silicone heat pad @95**°F covered by a cheese cloth with a fan blowing across the top.
  • Once most of the methanol evaporated i put the Pyrex dish in my vac chamber set the temp so the oil was 95°F and pulled a full vac ( I'll have pics of final product once its fully purged might need to increase heat)
Final pics coming once purge is finished.

Did you weigh out your end product after getting rid of the methanol? Have you tried this with ethanol or isopropanol yet? Seems like this method should scale up easily. I wonder what would happen if you just filled the bottom few inches of your material column with aluminum oxide and ran like usual? Would it work with butane as the solvent?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I don't have anything useful to add, lol. Just signing up so I don't miss anything. Already like this thread and where it's going...

PDX Dopesmoker

Fuck yeah drug experimentation

Theicc, As far as the dark color on the starting material goes how much of the dark color do you think is from unwanted plant chemicals like anthocyanin and chlorophyl and how much is due to particulates? Has it been put through any filters finer than a coffee filter before you started working in it?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Removing things isn't the problem really it's not removing the cannabinoids, which can be lost at every step. If you aren't testing it's hard to know.