What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is everyone doing for these jars of crystals

Kingekos

So I have seen Numerous posts on Instagram showing off crystal formations made in jars and I have yet to figure out the tek behind this can someone help me Because it seems like everybody there knows how to make large formation crystals wants to keep the information for themselves I have iso butane - propane - and n butane to mix and make what ever has mixture is needed so please help

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I have no idea how it's made, but it sounds good. Can you post some links to some photos?

Sriley28

l I’m not 100% sure but I’ve been messing around and it seems like super low oven temps and 5+ days have been getting it to separate for me. Like l said I’m still messing around with it but it low and slow seems to be on the right path at lease

Kingekos

Here is an example

Attachments

• 8B40C598-564B-4A03-B460-3C6E99630923.jpg
    8B40C598-564B-4A03-B460-3C6E99630923.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 31
From what iv found on here already whats causing the crystals to form in the residual hydrocarbons evaporating out along with the terps evaporating out. Terps being more important than hydrocarbons. Dewaxing helps by concentrating the amount of thca along with the amount of terps in the batch but dewaxing is not needed for crystthe.

So I have seen Numerous posts on Instagram showing off crystal formations made in jars and I have yet to figure out the tek behind this can someone help me Because it seems like everybody there knows how to make large formation crystals wants to keep the information for themselves I have iso butane - propane - and n butane to mix and make what ever has mixture is needed so please help

I asked the same question a few days ago, I got advised to watch this and would have a better understanding.. ( I started watching but not finished yet)

https://youtu.be/NudRsTb4sb0

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I asked the same question a few days ago, I got advised to watch this and would have a better understanding.. ( I started watching but not finished yet)

Pharmer Joe is the guy lecturing and his e-mail is 'Joe Oakes' <joeoakes@oregonmedicalgrowers.com>

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is an interesting discussion about crystal formation and seeding on Reddit right now.

Being an absolute goof I have no idea what they're talking about, but I get the general idea they're pouring off a solvent rich extract into mason jars and room temp purging until a lid can be applied to create a pressurized cure. Crystals form, can be extracted, washed, and used to seed the next run.

Be grand if someone with their head outside their ass browsed over it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CannabisExtracts/comments/78pgmz/jar_pressure_washing_crystals_and_other/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CannabisEx...ca_crystalline_formation_discussion_fuck_the/

Seems ideal to get on to the Advanced Tech discussion on FB if one wanted to read further.

There are many ways and solvent systems that you can use to get crystal formations. We purge under light heat and vacuum in pyrex dishes until we see a good layer of crystals blanketing the bottom of the pyrex. We have small crystals after 24 hours in the oven, and a solid layer in 3-5 days. After that we pour into mason jars, scrape the crystals and mix them equally into the jars and cap. After it has fully separated, we decant the HT layer and are left with the HC layer in the jar. We then purge in pyrex dishes at a higher vac for the final purge. This is what we do for production, but for large crystals you can pressurize a heated vessel with nitrogen and get larger formations.

G.O. Joe

Veteran

Believe extraordinary claims when they come with NMR or x-ray crystallography. Believe consultants when they pull it off for real with your material. Never been to IG or FB, isn't only BS published there?

Is there a need to graft bro science on to classical crystallization techniques? What is this pressure? Butane at room? It's not pressure it's time though isn't it? Maybe for seed crystals, evaporation of the solvent in a very short time. A low boiling solvent in vacuum to provide a very low temperature. Or no solvent and maybe a longer time. The crystals word used loosely - there is no proof that THCA-A is crystalline. Perhaps some nice crystals that require something besides THCA and a solvent is in fact THCA + something else? Or are really THCA-B - which has been crystallized from chloroform? Or is misidentified CBNA, CBDA, CBGA, or a mixture of same with or without THCA?

As we all know, crystallization of amorphous THCA-A is inherently unfavorable, with the OH and COOH functions being right next to each other on a benzene ring - there's no way around that. In THCA-B, a weak polar bonding between these is between, rather than within the molecules, so it forms a particular crystal. THCA-A is not only less polar but also it would be so much harder to make big stretches of nicely arranged molecules for the same reason. The crystalline cannabinoids form intermolecular H-bonds at their phenols, neat or in low boiling petroleum ether as usual, without such interference.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I followed that less than the crap on Reddit. But appreciate ya weighing in.

Social media is for the most part utter bullshit.

Griffin_Labs

Thank you hastofthetitans! So you collect into pyrex, throw into oven until you see some crystal formation. When you say light heat and vac how light are you talking? 75f? 90F? Once in the mason jars do you burp them, how often? Any tips on this part or the final vacuum purge for both the crystal part as well as the terpene part?

I heard some people like to purge the crystals at 150F. Anyone want to weigh in on temps and vac for purging the last of the butane out. I can't wait to be in the lab so I can finally do my r&d and report back.

I’m interested in this but really have no idea of the process.

Seems to me like they would still have residual solvent in the crystalline structures. I know this is a big problem with other types of chemical extractions and crystal formations.

I’d like to see NMR or GC/MS results of purity and any residual solvents.

Kingekos

Well I thought the formation was done something along the lines I started out by setting my oven to 85° and pulling only a slight back to -10 HG just about the point that my lids would pop up from trying to pull the butane out of the jars as a pressure within them so you’re saying I should purge off the rest of the butane in the jars with the lids off then pressurize the oven with nitrogen?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Pharmer Joe is the guy lecturing and his e-mail is 'Joe Oakes' <joeoakes@oregonmedicalgrowers.com>

You need to take in the entire video, there are bits and pieces in Kate's, Carla's, and J.D.'s presentations that are referenced in Joe's, and Joe lays down the process, but not in a linear or lump sum delivery.

If I had some extra coin right now I'd purchase a $100 lab centrifuge from eBay and give it a try, though I think you may need to vary the temperature during the process to get the crystals to spin out and remain isolated for collection. Some hot air from a heat gun for heating, or a squirt of pressurized gas for cooling might suffice for preliminary experiments.