What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DONUTS...and why I love them!!!!!!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

'bout to toast a bagel, NY style 'everything' bagel. not bad for a northern minnesota product, just doesn't have that particular density I remember so well.

and don't even get me started on bialy's

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Oh everything bagels are the best!!

Cream cheese is a must however.

I've never had a bialy... but Bailey's goes great with coffee :D

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh everything bagels are the best!!

Cream cheese is a must however.

Sorry, mmm....but I gotta call you on a BIG mistake you just made...

EXTRA CREAM CHEESE is absolutely called for when dressing a bagel. EXTRA!!

When you go into most bagel shops and request cream cheese you will receive a bagel with a whisper thin layer of white, barely even taste-able. Please, bagel maker, give me a SERIOUS SHMEAR!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Busted!

Right you are Wiggs my boy!!

I have this unexplainable hankering for an everything bagel and tons of cream cheese... :whee:

I may have to fix this soon :)

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
This chick I know makes me babels and cream cheese sometimes and when she does she always fucks it up.. She puts such a thin layer of cream cheese on that it looks spray painted on. I have had to go over that with her so many times. However, she does put a few thin slices of ham on them. Works great. Just needs more cheese.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Onion & Chives Philly brand cream cheese on my everything bagels & lots of it.

when I go to the one shop that has them they already know extra XTRA cream cheese, and yeah I told them what "vid a schmear!" means.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im pretty convinced you cant make a decent bagel unless you are on the coast...in the middle of the country forget it...on the other hand we do have truly excellent tortillas which basically suck anywhere but the southwest...

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran

My 1st serious GF drank Baileys and Malibu together. No wonder she fell on the doorstep and sprained her neck.
Funny story, while we were sat in accident and emergency, with her in a neck brace, I turned to her, she was looking miserable, so I said
" Chin up love".......

........It is a good job we were already at the hospital, such was the ferocity with which she smacked me.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im pretty convinced you cant make a decent bagel unless you are on the coast...in the middle of the country forget it...on the other hand we do have truly excellent tortillas which basically suck anywhere but the southwest...

I know NYC bagels bro. I was at the UPS (United Purveyors Show) in Mnpls about 10 yrs ago when I happened upon 2 Hassidic guys manning a bagel booth. Slightly skeptical I put some cream cheese on one and was amazed, just like home again.

I made a fuss! such a fuss! calling over my friends and naturally a few folks sensing a premium, they sent me home w/a dozen. Unfortunately aside from my own plate I had no wholesale need for bagels & have since lost their info.

those were awesome NYC bagels made in MN, a real surprise.

kerrf

The little local donut shop up the street thanks you for this thread castout :)
The donuts don't suck in the southwest today!

castout

Veteran
I am also getting some great feedback on donut spots, for my culinary roadtrip, so thank you all for chiming in. It is funny, because I have never run into a cop at a donut shop...plenty of peeps like myself, true donut lovers!!!!! I put down 6 donuts the other day, and I felt absolutely GREAT....donuts release my happy!!!!!

AKDrifter

I am a Yankee and really miss the family owned places back east. It has been many years since I have been to a good donut shop, last time I was in AK I was in Anchorage for a few days and found Golden Donut, which really reminded me of home. They make a coconut vanilla glazed that is soooo good.
Voodoo in Portland , maple/bacon is the best I can remember, ever.

Dunkin Donuts are ok, but their coffee is crap these days, once you live on the west coast you can never enjoy a weak ass cup of coffee again. I think of my old grandmother from the UK every time I taste D&D coffee. I remember what she said as she turned her nose up at a cup of tea I made for her, apparently much too weak , she said tastes like "gnats wee", cracked me up!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Come visit in the months of July, August or September and you will absolutely love it. No rain to get in the way of all the great shit in this town.

Hell yeah I have to experience it, but I don't want to have to jam it in at once... I miss the PNW and all this speak of coffee and pastry make me miss it more.

Oh and the rain doesn't faze me as much as most. I actually like it but am well aware of how it loses luster when it won't stop :D

Is this maple bacon thing a fritter or a doughnut, more importantly how is the bacon delivered?

Is it just a flavor, glorious fat, or actual meat?

Is it crispy... oh for the love of God I gotta go Googling :D

PS I just saw pictures and am currently looking for apartments in the Portland area :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Dizzy's doughnuts in Boulder Co, The Maple Bacon doughnut is as such.....
picture.php

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
You can't bake a doughnut.... they are fried!!!

What crazy blasphemy are you babbling about??!! :bigeye:

:biglaugh:

well, I do love some fried foods, like french fries, either with plain salt or mustard, you'd know about that :D

but on the donut issue, I stand by them being way more tasty baked than fried.

when you bake them, the dough does not become impregnated with all that overly heated pig's fat where they are fried in.

when you bake them, you should use real milk's butter to keep them from sticking to the pan, and also a bit in the dough to give it the necessary good fats for texture.

castout, sorry I do not know anywhere in the U.S where they bake donuts, I only know of a couple of places in Jerusalem where they do. I have also made my own.

peace!