What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finding seeds in my plants from clone

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Just wondering what could have happened in my garden this year?
Plants all finished well, but I'm sitting here trimming and I'm finding A LOT more seed then previous seasons.

I noticed a lot of honey bees in my yard this season landing on plants could it be them?

I didn't see a single male flower at all in the garden, Im pretty sure my neighboors didn't have any plants outside, but i heard pollen can travel for miles in the air?

Everything was completely milked with 15-20% amber

Thanks

CrushnYuba

It's totally possible it could be bees i guess. How close are your neighbors?
How many different strains did you have? Some stuff herms with little or even no stress. Do some plants have more seeds then others? That would give you a clue as to if it was pollen from your own plants.
Last year i had this clone i did a bunch of and every plant had seeds baaad. Like you couldn't roll a joint without at least 1. There was no visible male flowers. The male flowers were inside the buds. But the other plants right next to them didn't have a single seed. That cut was just genetically pre disposed. There was also some late year stress. A heatwave and irrigation problem.

You said you are finding more seeds yen previous years? Do you usually have seeds? How bad are we talking? I always have trimmers save seeds if they find them but it's usually like 1 seeds per 50-100 lbs. If you USUALLY have more then say a seed per 10 lbs, something is wrong with your garden, genetics or neighbors. I would definitely try to figure it out.

St. Phatty

I had one male this year. Let it go 'all the way', in a protected area behind the garage.

So far I've seen one seed on the mostly Sinse crop about 75 yards away. (I know, there's never just one.)

And there is a 100 yards of forest before that pollen reaches the road.

There's a neighbor about 150 yards away that is very generous with his pot. I give him an ounce, he gives me 2 ounces.

So I will pick through his bud and look for a seed.

The father was an "ultimate survivor" - a volunteer (just started growing in the pot from a winter grow) that was ignorred and then eventually watered. Very impressive vigor.

I don't like to kill plants that REALLY WANT TO GROW.

Also, some of the most famous strains started out as random pollinations. Can't be all bad.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Cannabis is wind pollinated so you are probably getting pollen from a neighbor as it travels for miles in the right conditions. In my area there are a lot of "experimental hemp farms". I got too many seeds the last year growing season and wanted to blame the hemp farms. Actually I had just put in a motion activated security light to scare any possible rippers. The damn Raccoons and alley cats set it off all summer and the light was bright enough to stress the plants and cause hermies. This year I didn't use the light and no seeds. Oh well the life of a farmer I guess.

theJointedOne

Veteran
I had a scooby snacks clone i ran in the first round of deps this year. While cutting the very lowers and smalls out i noticed some hermie flowers and the trimmers said they found a few seed here and there.

Some stuff, especially cherry pie hybrids these days, has potential to herm

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you find single isolated seeds here and there in the flowers, it's usually from pollin blowing in from the next yard. Hermie flowers tend to make a cluster of seeds directly below where the banana was.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
My OG,s start to show nanners and a seed now and then if I let the go past 9 wks. My Jackie O does the same thing. I have heard that most of this is dormant. I have never had a problem so I pretty much ignore it. I tend to harvest about that time anyway.

Klompen

One of the ways that pot cultivation is tracked in North Africa is a pollen counter on top of the Vatican(which is hundreds of miles away). It can travel a lot further than you'd guess.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
If it's not your plant throwing nanners then I would invest in a nice green house system it should eradicate your seed problem

St. Phatty

One of the ways that pot cultivation is tracked in North Africa is a pollen counter on top of the Vatican(which is hundreds of miles away). It can travel a lot further than you'd guess.

I've read about Cannabis-like pollen being found in space objects, meteors etc.

green-genes77

Veteran
It's probable you have some intersexing and the male organs are just buried in the bud where you can't see them.

Depending on where you live it could be the result of contamination from another local grower who didn't remove their males for whatever reason. As noted above, pollen can travel many many miles.

CrushnYuba

I think it's most likely your own plants. Pop a few seeds.. If they are all female it's nanner pollen. In my experience nanner pollen is 99% of the time less viable them male pollen. Your neighbor having intersex flowers probably would not pollinate your plants.

I have seen allot of people blame things on neighbors letting a male go. It's almost never true. Then they pop the seeds, and they are all feminized. Genetics and stress

Last edited:

Klompen

I've read about Cannabis-like pollen being found in space objects, meteors etc.

I'm not incredibly familiar with the topic but from what I know its possible the meteors are picking the materials up as they pass through the atmosphere. Pollen can be quite sturdy in the right conditions.

PDX Dopesmoker

I think it was 2 summers ago that a big hemp farm on several dozen acres near Corvalis, Oregon seeded pretty much everyone within a big radius, like 10 miles.

I had a scooby snacks clone i ran in the first round of deps this year. While cutting the very lowers and smalls out i noticed some hermie flowers and the trimmers said they found a few seed here and there.

Some stuff, especially cherry pie hybrids these days, has potential to herm

Have you done anything with those seeds yet?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Well, i did not find one banana/male flower at all in the garden.
the seeds are pretty hard to detect. They just have a single brown hair, put my scissors in and pop it out, and cut out the casing
I have to go over my buddies work once he's done trimming, he's pulling some and i have to finish his work and pluck more lol.
I have a few neighbors, pretty close by. One neighbor said he had one plant in the greenhouse in his backyard.
I didn't ask him if it was a male, cause he's gonna end up buying my units lol.
Other then finding more seed then usual the buds turned out really good.
Ive plucked most of what i could see before bagging it up.

One good thing out of it is that we have plenty of seeds for next season
Thanks all for the input

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
I been finding more punk seed then mature ones. But the mature ones are dark oval and striped

Last year a hemp Farm open-pollinated about 7 miles away and when the wind blew in a certain direction it would dust my garden so I had a few mature seeds but mostly immature seeds when it got dusted near Harvest. This year that didn't happen and I'm not finding any seeds.:woohoo: