Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Whorled Phyllotaxy - Info please?

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Zamnesia
Whorled Phyllotaxy - Info please? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2004, 09:29 PM #1

Whorled Phyllotaxy - Info please?

Hi fellow growers,

I have just recently started a grow with a few untested strains. Among these I have VeryBerry (Blueberry x Strawberry) from Green Hornet Seeds. They are two days old today. I planted three, all of which germed with some strange kinks, two of which have seemingly begun a normal growth pattern. The third is clearly a whorled phyllotaxy. Below is a pic of her yesterday just germed. Tomorrow I'll take another pic, but she has quite a different aspect today, three well defined leaves and three dicotiledons. Here she is:

I'd like to ask some of you more knowledgable growers and breeders more information regarding this "mutation". First off...is it desirable? I've read threads here and there, some of which claim yes, some claim no, some people say the male/female ratio is heavy on the male side, some say its a characteristic which makes for excellent breeding, others stating they are heavily prone to hermies, others saying they are difficult to grow to maturity.

Can you guys help me out? When you didn't take marijuana botany 101 in college and have limited knowledge of the whole genetics deal all this conflicting info can get your head spinning.

Thanks for the help all!

Old 10-04-2004, 11:07 PM #2
Harry Gypsna
Dirty hippy Bastard

Location: Outside BodyShop, with a Tin Whistle and a dog on a piece of string
Harry Gypsna has a brilliant futureHarry Gypsna has a brilliant futureHarry Gypsna has a brilliant futureHarry Gypsna has a brilliant futureHarry Gypsna has a brilliant futureHarry Gypsna has a brilliant futureHarry Gypsna has a brilliant futureHarry Gypsna has a brilliant futureHarry Gypsna has a brilliant futureHarry Gypsna has a brilliant futureHarry Gypsna has a brilliant future
i think the three leaver is called a "Tri-foliate", and i think its neither a good, nor bad hing, just like when sum1 is born with an extra toe or finger.

On a budget?? Check these out
DIY Thermostatic fan speed Controller

My homemade Aerocloner, MK2 version

all posts made by this screen name are absoloutely true All pictures are mine and i dont give a f u c k what your law says.......
Disclaimers wont protect you when the piggies come a callin
Harry Gypsna is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:59 PM #3
KRS Juan
Smarmy Fuck Jr.

KRS Juan will become famous soon enough
I have had a couple trifoilates among different strains, all ended up female. One ended up topping itself, the other was very stretchy. In my opinion it's just a mutation and has no effect, either way, on any other characteristics of the plant. On the plus side they are really cool looking in early growth.

-KRS Juan-

Old 10-05-2004, 12:06 AM #4
Okie grown

Okie grown will become famous soon enough
I have one

I have a sour bubble that puts 3 stems out at every node.Its 6 weeks into flower now.If you look close you can see it.I also grew a couple nl #5 x blue berry plants that had leaf mut. but never hurt growth.Thay just had wavy leaves kinda twisted.
Okie grown is offline Quote

Old 10-05-2004, 11:37 AM #5

Thanks for the input guys! Okie that Sour Bubble is awesome...but I've probably already told you that!

Here's a pic of my baby, three days old today...I must say she is looking quite gorgeous...

Old 10-05-2004, 08:57 PM #6
KRS Juan
Smarmy Fuck Jr.

KRS Juan will become famous soon enough
Very nice BV! Here's my MiniKush tri in early veg:

-KRS Juan-

Old 10-05-2004, 09:11 PM #7

they are sweet when they're little aren't they? Looks like anything but marijuana . Thanks for sharing KRS

Old 10-06-2004, 12:52 AM #8
wickyd

wickyd is on a distinguished road
Is there a website for Green Hornet Seeds?

Old 10-06-2004, 03:53 PM #9

Here you go wickyd:

https://www.greenhornet.ch/

Please note that Green Hornet has already put up for sale their seeds, but some strains are still undergoing testing. This is true for both the Cash Cropper and the VeryBerry, for which Cannaddicto and I are doing testing (with relative threads). I couldn't tell you whether the other strains on their website have already been through testing or not.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:54 PM #10

Whorled phylotaxy is mostly an aspect of revegetating plants from what I have seen. After the initial stage of new growth, the smooth single blade leaves, normal single blade serrated MJ leaves emerge. When these grow out and progress to three bladed leaves, they begin to show lots of the whoroled phenomenom. I think it has something to do with the transition to full veg growth since most leaves are growing out with trichomes on them.

George Cervantes claims trifoliates are genetically weak leading to less yields and loss of potency. Read that in his book while in Borders the other day.....

Last edited by Caprichoso; 10-06-2004 at 05:59 PM..