in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Paper Towel method

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Original Seed Store for great Cannabis genetics
Paper Towel method Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2017, 04:04 AM #21
Gangabiss
free your SELF

Gangabiss is a jewel in the roughGangabiss is a jewel in the roughGangabiss is a jewel in the roughGangabiss is a jewel in the roughGangabiss is a jewel in the roughGangabiss is a jewel in the rough
Yes all from one order.

Not really sure how I could've 'cooked' them. All I did was soak in water for 48hrs then plant in premoistened soil. Been racking my brain thinking what I could possibly have done.

I'm not discounting personal error on my part but I have germed seeds plenty of times in the past with no issues. That's why I'm so perplexed by the whole thing!

Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet. And I am you and what I see is me

Gangabiss is offline Quote

Old 09-30-2017, 05:00 AM #22
noreason
Natural born Grower

noreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant future
noreason has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangabiss View Post

1. How many times do you fold the paper towel or do you simply lay the seeds on 1 ply of it? Basically does the seed need to be cushioned with a thick layer of them or is it fine to just 'sandwich them between too loose layers of moist towel?
Air should pass through seeds. Water must stay in contact with seeds.
Air is needed to take things 'clean' and when the first root comes off the shell, it likes so much humid air. Roots loves humid air.

Quote:
2. How much water do you add to the towel? And do you squeeze off any excess? If so, do you squeeze it out with the seeds inside to 'mould' them to the towel and make them snug?
Not so much water. Everything should stay moist, a little wet, but avoid too much water. If you need to loosen the seed's shells let them stay in water for some hours.

Quote:
I know it might seem like I'm being pedantic here but I just want to make sure I can't blame my technique again this time. And I really don't want to waste any more money on seeds!
Little things don't mean they're stupid things.

Now, I want to point out the contamination. You shouldn't use anything dirt or not disinfected when treating with seeds. I know they can sprout in the shit, but you want 100% germination in the best way, right?
Air, or better said oxygen is your ally, both for roots and for keeping bacteria contamination down.

Use only clean stuff, possibly disinfected and work in a clean room.

Paper towel is better sprayed, not squeezed nor compressed. When spraying make sure the water is safe and not contaminate.

Now, put everything in a germination room with no T° fluctuation and that's it. Depending on T° they will sprout few days earlier or later.

Remember too, when a seed doesn't sprout, it doesn't mean the seed is not viable. Many seeds have an hard shell, depending on the strain family and everything, so you could see them stay even a month without doing anything, THAN, if you leave them dry out, and moist them again, many of them will probably sprout because (I suppose) of little external lacerations. This work, at least for me, many times.

Disinfected pyrex dishes and disinfected table.

clean paper towels in

Seeds in, folded and not pressed, sprayed

Clean Cellophane and that's it

I just put them inside the towel like this:

After 36/48 hours the first check.

Hope it helps…I lost many seeds once to use contaminated medium, so I just like to keep everything clean and it works nicely, also because we can see exactly what's happening and that's good to understand how a seed work and if the root has any malformation.

GOD IS THE SUPREME FLOWERING OF INDIVIDUAL AWARENESS.OSHO
Sharing is caring

All posts made by this screen name are absolutely true. All pictures are mine and I don't give a f u c k what your law says.......
noreason is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:05 AM #23
noreason
Natural born Grower

noreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant future
noreason has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangabiss View Post
All I did was soak in water for 48hrs then plant in premoistened soil.
You can't see and say what's in that soil. I bet that was the problem. Even if you always use that medium you can't know that batch and its contamination by bacteria, fungi, yeasts and so on...

GOD IS THE SUPREME FLOWERING OF INDIVIDUAL AWARENESS.OSHO
Sharing is caring

All posts made by this screen name are absolutely true. All pictures are mine and I don't give a f u c k what your law says.......
noreason is offline Quote

Old 09-30-2017, 05:16 AM #24
justanotherbozo
on the bus ride of life.

justanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud of
...not to put too fine a point on it or anything but cannabis actually evolved, over many thousands of years, to grow and thrive in dirt.

...so me personally, i don't sterilize shit and i don't soak shit either, i do sometimes scuff my beans but only if i think to do it, i'm kind of a lazy phuck by nature so i do everything as simply as possible.

...being a stoner who sometimes suffers from oldtimers disease i don't want to have to remember anything too complicated, lol.

peace, bozo

"Those that give up Liberty to have temporary Security deserve Neither"......Benjamin Franklin.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." ..... George Orwell
justanotherbozo is offline Quote

Old 09-30-2017, 05:20 AM #25
justanotherbozo
on the bus ride of life.

justanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud of
...btw, i have in the past killed seeds by soaking too long, they get water logged and turn black and that is that, which is why i gave up that whole pre-soak, paper towel routine.

...and frankly i get better results now, direct sowing, than i did before.

peace, bozo

"Those that give up Liberty to have temporary Security deserve Neither"......Benjamin Franklin.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." ..... George Orwell
justanotherbozo is offline Quote

Old 09-30-2017, 05:28 AM #26
Budley Doright

Budley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to behold
Maybe they (the Boutique) are sending out old stock I dunno...

IMO....there is your answer.....

9xSOL Donk, 9xSOL Blubonic anyone want to guess how old these are????

Wick Cloning = Cheap and effective

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309503

Big Clones.....and Air Layers also a legal Michigan grow
Budley Doright is offline Quote

Old 09-30-2017, 05:58 AM #27
Budley Doright

Budley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to behold
SOL hasnt made a seed in years.....

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

Old 09-30-2017, 06:10 AM #28
Budley Doright

I think this thread is proof of how hard it is to get good advice.....

The 2 strains were made in 2007 and 2006

I discount the fact that a guy who has germinated lots of seeds has suddenly gone stupid....

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:59 PM #29
Gangabiss
free your SELF

Gangabiss is a jewel in the roughGangabiss is a jewel in the roughGangabiss is a jewel in the roughGangabiss is a jewel in the roughGangabiss is a jewel in the roughGangabiss is a jewel in the rough
You may be right Budley. Like I said I don't want to point fingers and accuse them of being totally at fault, but when you've been doing it for years and then you can't get a single seed to sprout, it makes you ask questions.
You can see by my join date I've been a member here for 13 years and was on Overgrow before that. I have germinated lots of seeds in my time.

I didn't realise it was that long since SOL created any seeds....probably wouldn't have ordered them if I'd know that!

Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet. And I am you and what I see is me

Gangabiss is offline Quote

Old 09-30-2017, 06:02 PM #30
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to behold
Again, did all of the seeds arrive in the same package? Like I said, they could have been cooked before you even received them. Again, highly unlikely for multiple strains to all be dead, unless they were all subjected to the same conditions.

Logic. Try a cup worth in life, you'll like it.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote