Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Why bother keeping mother plants?

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Best Value Vacs for extraction devices
Why bother keeping mother plants? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2017, 06:27 AM #31
nksv

nksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the rough
great thread! been trying to work out best way to keep my collection. developing 'mums' takes ages so I think flowering out the mum, after a successful clone, is the way. at least for my micro set up. big mums are good for needing large sog style ops.
nksv is offline Quote

Old 09-22-2017, 11:27 AM #32
TOKING TOKOLOSH

TOKING TOKOLOSH is on a distinguished road
Starting a new grow, wanna do a perpetual harvest of 12 plants every 2 weeks!
Gonna use a combination of systems..
Follow my journal - " The Toking Tokoloshe's combi grow - Dinafem Blue Widow.

Germinated seed as per usual..
Potted into 2 l hempy bucket in coco-peat/perlite feeding hydro A & B(linctified salts)

These 2 seeds are what i have to work with...
They will be the mothers(or at least genetics for the 1 final mother strain)

Gonna keep vegging them in bigger and bigger hempy's, when final mothers are chosen they will be potted in supersoil.

Any hints will be appreciated
TOKING TOKOLOSH is offline Quote

Old 09-22-2017, 03:30 PM #33
brown_thumb

brown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud ofbrown_thumb has much to be proud of
This thread has 'almost' convinced me to build my small grow room to be solely for mother plants. I could have a mom room and a baby clone room and move healthy plants outside to finish.

I've bought lots of seeds as insurance against loss of availability but I think cloning will soon be my primary method of reproduction.
brown_thumb is online now Quote

Old 09-22-2017, 03:36 PM #34
mushroombrew

mushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to all
I am perpetual also. But I do keep a stash of "reserve" mothers. Taking clones from clones works fine. I lost a cut to that method as vigor diminished at around the 6yr mark. By 8 yrs
I had to make a hybrid or lose it.

So now I take clones from clones but got a mom somewhere. So I can freshen up the clones genetics. Drift does occur. Maybe its the rooting hormones? But drift sucks when it happens to you. I would at the very least make S1 seed. To keep the cut in seed form.
mushroombrew is online now Quote

Old 09-23-2017, 03:45 AM #35
Dropped Cat
Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch

Dropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud of
Drift happens, entirely environmental. The code is there, but the
shift occurs through poor maintenance.

i have cuts that survive solely by chance and testing.

Mums for the win.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:47 PM #36
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_thumb View Post
This thread has 'almost' convinced me to build my small grow room to be solely for mother plants. I could have a mom room and a baby clone room and move healthy plants outside to finish.

I've bought lots of seeds as insurance against loss of availability but I think cloning will soon be my primary method of reproduction.
Just an FYI,
mothers, clones & veg production can all be done in the same area, under the same light/s.

I'm kind of tired of keeping mothers through the winter just so I can grow the same cuts year after year after year after...

There's an awesome tutorial, somewhere here on IC, on how to keep a shit load of moms in a relatively tiny space... Like a 2ftx4ftx6ft tent or smaller... I'll see if I can find it.

This isn't it but it may do the job...
I've not seen this thread.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=90460

Another one that's not what I was looking for.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=31919

Here's another thread like this one.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=311812

The thread I'm thinking of is over at MNS Forums for sure. I don't think I'm supposed to post a link from there though.
MJPassion is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:06 PM #37
DocTim420
The Doctor is in...

DocTim420 has disabled reputation
I originally planned to have a mom room, but after spec'ing everything out, I placed those ideas on the back burner (in a few years it will be 2 decades or so ago).

Then I realized the cannabis industry reflects certain quirks that exist in the fashion industry. Just as there are "cannabis breeders"--there are also "fashion designers"...each producing "new lines" of their wares several times each year.

In the fashion world new lines are released at fashion shows at New York, Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Rome, London, Los Angeles...and expect to pay about the average price of a new American car for a dress from this year's "new line". A few years later, that very same dress design will be available for a few thousand and hanging on racks at all the major department stores. And then about half a dozen or so years after being debuted in New York, the same dress design will be selling at Walmart for $100 or so. Hmmm, went from the price of a car to $100 in less than 10 years, how can this be? One word answer: Consumers.

Breeders release new lines each year and this year's "must have" seeds are impossible to find and when/if you do, it will cost you dearly. After a few years...those very same seeds are available everywhere; discounted too. And for some reason, the prices of the flowers sourced to those "hard to get" seeds seem to behave the same way. Prices start in the stratosphere and after a few years (when everyone else is growing the same strain) they steady decline until they are priced with "everything else" (price equalization).

Moral of the story: Running new lines every couple of years might be a good idea (fresh blood over old blood). Hence, my current genetics will probably be replaced in a few years...so concerns of potential genetic degeneration (which I have not experienced) is something that I don't worry about. But if I were planning to run my current genetics forever, then I would probably figure a way to have "mom rooms" at multiple locations.
DocTim420 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:33 PM #38
mushroombrew

mushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTim420 View Post
I originally planned to have a mom room, but after spec'ing everything out, I placed those ideas on the back burner (in a few years it will be 2 decades or so ago).

Then I realized the cannabis industry reflects certain quirks that exist in the fashion industry. Just as there are "cannabis breeders"--there are also "fashion designers"...each producing "new lines" of their wares several times each year.

In the fashion world new lines are released at fashion shows at New York, Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Rome, London, Los Angeles...and expect to pay about the average price of a new American car for a dress from this year's "new line". A few years later, that very same dress design will be available for a few thousand and hanging on racks at all the major department stores. And then about half a dozen or so years after being debuted in New York, the same dress design will be selling at Walmart for $100 or so. Hmmm, went from the price of a car to $100 in less than 10 years, how can this be? One word answer: Consumers.

Breeders release new lines each year and this year's "must have" seeds are impossible to find and when/if you do, it will cost you dearly. After a few years...those very same seeds are available everywhere; discounted too. And for some reason, the prices of the flowers sourced to those "hard to get" seeds seem to behave the same way. Prices start in the stratosphere and after a few years (when everyone else is growing the same strain) they steady decline until they are priced with "everything else" (price equalization).

Moral of the story: Running new lines every couple of years might be a good idea (fresh blood over old blood). Hence, my current genetics will probably be replaced in a few years...so concerns of potential genetic degeneration (which I have not experienced) is something that I don't worry about. But if I were planning to run my current genetics forever, then I would probably figure a way to have "mom rooms" at multiple locations.
I like how you put that.

I recently gave my entire seed collection away. The chap was very happy.
I had crosses of crosses. Some stable ibl some pollen chucks.
But it was all getting a bit "samey"
I have since collected about 20 elite west coast cuts. Will be making a good 30 new lines. I fully expect some new elite cuts to show up.

Which will need to become mothers. As the F1's will probably be quite unstable.

So stabilize your line and keep seeds. Or keep a mother if she is unstable.
mushroombrew is online now Quote

Old 09-24-2017, 07:09 PM #39
Chevy cHaze
Out of Dankness cometh Light

Chevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of lightChevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of lightChevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of lightChevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of lightChevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of lightChevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of lightChevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of lightChevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of lightChevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of lightChevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of lightChevy cHaze is a glorious beacon of light
If you want to keep an exact genetic copy of a plant, a clone is the only solution. Seeds, even when selfed, will all be different. And most will keep either the plant from seed or a clone as a mother, to be able to hold on to those genetics.
Moms don't necessarily take up much space, I've had lots of moms in containers little bigger than a party cup, if you don't require lots of clones and merely want to preserve a certain plant.
BTW if a plant produces outstanding results, you can always re veg her while the buds are drying and curing to take a clone if you missed it earlier.

Besides, keeping moms is fun and nothing greater than a nice "clone only" portfolio ;-)
Good luck !
CC

cbd is where it's at - 250w organic blumatized cbd skunk haze grow

super silent mode organic blumatized hans panel grow - 80gr from 65w of LEDs

"In what you say of another, apply the test of kindness, necessity and truth, and let nothing pass your lips without a 2/3 majority."

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope"- Freewheelin' Franklin
Chevy cHaze is online now Quote

Old 09-25-2017, 12:23 AM #40
nksv

nksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the rough
anyone have issues with mums starting to flower out? Is she just showing she's ready or is it best to let her into the flower room to do her thing?
nksv is offline Quote