Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Why bother keeping mother plants?

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Mars Hydro for Growroom Lights and Tents
Why bother keeping mother plants? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2017, 08:04 PM #21
Mudraya

Mudraya will become famous soon enoughMudraya will become famous soon enoughMudraya will become famous soon enough
The point is what about genetics you don't plan on using for let's say...a year? For instance I've kept a cut of pre 98 Bubba among others for 11 years alive in the form of a mom. Sure I would take another clone of her every so often when she wasn't looking good for another copy of her. There were times when I didn't flower her for close to a year but I still wanted her around. Can you keep a clone in the fridge for a year? There were no dispensaries to get them from again, there were no friends to get them from, there were no friends to hold them for me, there was simply no other option. I've been doing this for over 15 years so let's not talk about experience please.

I'm curious what you do in that situation?
Mudraya is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:31 PM #22
Stonehedge

Stonehedge is a jewel in the roughStonehedge is a jewel in the roughStonehedge is a jewel in the roughStonehedge is a jewel in the roughStonehedge is a jewel in the roughStonehedge is a jewel in the rough
Just my .02 worth dont want to start issues with any mastergrowers lol.

I'll run clones from clones without issue in most cases but i did have issue doing this with a favorite Cherry Pie i had yrs ago after third yr makeing clones from clones and getting killer purpley seedless tastey fire my cuts started to have herm issue. Imo cloneing from clones is cool but somewhere around ten generations you may start seeing issues.

I keep a few bonsai moms on strain i like nowadays.

Happy gardening
Stonehedge is offline Quote

Old 05-13-2017, 08:31 PM #23
DJXX

DJXX has disabled reputation
i take at least 2 good copies of everything i put in flower...like backing up your files...DJXX

SD IBL CROSSES feat. SourGlue and more!!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=331377

DJXX is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:32 PM #24
DocTim420
The Doctor is in...

DocTim420 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudraya View Post
...I'm curious what you do in that situation?
That being the exception rather than the norm, one could easily Bonzai the plant in a rootbound container for a while (1-2 gallon size)--then snip the top and start over again after 6 months or so (dedicating about 1 sq foot of space).

Of course, about a month or so before her hibernation is over, I would transplant the plant to much larger container (5-7 gallon size) and anticipate having a jumbo harvest of cuttings when to choose from.

But that's just me and that's just the way I would do it. LOL, its like asking a mathematician, "how many ways are there to add or subtract two numbers and have the product equal 100?".

And he answers, "as many as you want".
DocTim420 is offline Quote

Old 05-13-2017, 09:11 PM #25
Guy Brush

Guy Brush has a spectacular aura aboutGuy Brush has a spectacular aura aboutGuy Brush has a spectacular aura aboutGuy Brush has a spectacular aura aboutGuy Brush has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripheral View Post
Since you are new and asking questions like this, it tells me you are thinking.. Never be afraid to try something regardless of how unorthodox it may seem.

Your suspicions have paid off in this case, as many growers including myself do not keep mothers, rather, I clone my veg plants just before I throw em into bloom.. Its a rotation.. The clones will be vegged and prepared for bloom and before they go into bloom, cuts are taken from the plants... Voila! No moms . I also take backup clones and store them in the fridge for up to a month, and they will root faster out of the fridge after some time.

Someone will inevitably come in here talking about genetic drift and what not but in the last ten years its never been an issue..
How do you store them in the fridge?
Guy Brush is offline Quote

Old 05-14-2017, 03:10 AM #26
Peripheral

Peripheral will become famous soon enoughPeripheral will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Brush View Post
How do you store them in the fridge?
You take your clones, put them in zip lock bag with about a tablespoon of water or so and put them in the fridge. Position the bag so the ends of the cuttings stay moist or somewhat submerged.

You can keep them there for a month or so, ive gone longer but I dont recommend it.

Just make a new cut when you use your rooting powder or cloning gel.

Its called keeping cuts in stasis... and its a pretty effective technique for managing clones, or even mailing them and even then they dont have to be cold..
Peripheral is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:16 AM #27
Guy Brush

Guy Brush has a spectacular aura aboutGuy Brush has a spectacular aura aboutGuy Brush has a spectacular aura aboutGuy Brush has a spectacular aura aboutGuy Brush has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripheral View Post
You take your clones, put them in zip lock bag with about a tablespoon of water or so and put them in the fridge. Position the bag so the ends of the cuttings stay moist or somewhat submerged.

You can keep them there for a month or so, ive gone longer but I dont recommend it.

Just make a new cut when you use your rooting powder or cloning gel.

Its called keeping cuts in stasis... and its a pretty effective technique for managing clones, or even mailing them and even then they dont have to be cold..
I think you don't need the extra water in the zip lock bags. If they are fresh they only have to be sealed from air exchange so they can't dry out.
Guy Brush is offline Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 04:11 AM #28
Peripheral

Peripheral will become famous soon enoughPeripheral will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Brush View Post
I think you don't need the extra water in the zip lock bags. If they are fresh they only have to be sealed from air exchange so they can't dry out.
Ive never tried it without water to be honest so I dont know. When I mail clones, I just wrap the bottom of the stem with a damp paper towel, never had an issue..

The cold temps from fridge would immediately cause transpiration to come to a grinding halt, so perhaps they wouldnt draw air into the stems even without water.

Ill certainly try your idea to find out though, because water in the bags after a month can get pretty cloudy depending on how clean the cuts were taken and put into stasis.
Peripheral is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 AM #29
Dropped Cat
Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch

Dropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud ofDropped Cat has much to be proud of
Good to know about the fridge stasis process.

As I root cuttings in plain water, I often wonder
if some growers put fresh cuttings in plain water
to hold them, so to speak.

good thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:54 AM #30
DocTim420
The Doctor is in...

DocTim420 has disabled reputation
I got backed up on cuttings a few years ago with 2 trays (about 50 each) that just sat in tap water for about 2 weeks. Most sprouted roots by the time I was able to work em.
DocTim420 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.