Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Why bother keeping mother plants?

Thread Title Search
Advertise on ICMag - Click for more info
Why bother keeping mother plants? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2017, 12:56 AM #91
Rodehazrd

Rodehazrd has a spectacular aura aboutRodehazrd has a spectacular aura aboutRodehazrd has a spectacular aura aboutRodehazrd has a spectacular aura about
Looking back I was having some cold weather and having trouble staying above 60 , I also didn't give enough nitrogen either I think so there were other stresses. Cant blame Serious all the other sisters were easy cloners and held true and the original one did great from seed . I keep the babies on a heat mat now and they like me for it.
Rodehazrd is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:24 AM #92
nksv

nksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the rough
yeah, my issues were always during winter...and i am keeping ACE sativas! haha, but most of them make it, just a few decide 'dude, flower me out, this sucks' haha
nksv is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 06:26 AM #93
Gr33nSanta

Gr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really nice
a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone of clone, .. .that s how I do it, ... my most important one I like to write ''mom'' on the tag as well for the best clone with the most beautiful root so I know next round if I only a few clones I should take them from that one plant.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338819
Gr33nSanta is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:32 AM #94
nksv

nksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the roughnksv is a jewel in the rough
Gr33n...have you noticed any degradation after many clones at all? I like that idea..
nksv is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 02:52 PM #95
I wood

I wood has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nSanta View Post
a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone of clone, .. .that s how I do it, ... my most important one I like to write ''mom'' on the tag as well for the best clone with the most beautiful root so I know next round if I only a few clones I should take them from that one plant.
I agree that this is a good way to go.
Two of my favorite plants are twenty years old this year and just the same now as when started.
There is one other thing I do to avoid cloning a less than healthy plant. With a red sharpie I mark the tag of any plant that has wilted or been stressed in any significant way, no clones from red tagged plants unless it is the only copy left.

Last edited by I wood; 10-13-2017 at 03:37 PM..
I wood is online now Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:41 PM #96
Gr33nSanta

Gr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really nice
This is new to me, cloning is so easy with the cloner that it only makes sense to do it this way.

I personally do not believe in degradation, dna is dna, I have never heard about apple growers talk about this phenomena. Unless they get a disease like PM . But again I would think a clone of a clone of a clone would be your best shot at cleaning a cutting.

When people say the plant has changed over the years and it's not the same anymore I think it has more to do with the grower's growing technique changing... who is growing the same way they were 5 years ago?

Finally, 2 of the most respected breeders in the US do the clone of a clone of clone thing, think subcool and bodhi. Most respected by me anyway, lol, I really like that their seeds are produced organically.

Ive got 20 moms in a baby garden right now and it's a bit overwhelming, I can't imagine bodhi has something like 300 moms / dads he has to keep cloning and transplanting, year round!

Finally, in my case 20 ''mothers'' would take way too much space, plus I only ever need 2 or 3 healthy cuttings of each, not 50....

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338819
Gr33nSanta is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 04:50 PM #97
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud of
Waking up slowly here or I'd post the pics.

Had 2 plants REALLY stand out in this year's outdoor.

One of them Bay Dream (from Grand-daddy Purple seeds, Ken Estes) x Apollo 11.

Started flowering August 1 - and still going - like she's got some Haze in her, with a meaty Indica branch structure.

BUT THE MOM's ... if they survive.

I took a second batch of clones and both rooted. But the plant was in flowering. One clone is looking like she ain't going to make it.

The other is - and the pics of the struggling clones, to be mother plants, ain't pretty.

It's better to have the clones, to grow mother plants from, than to watch a great plant die leaving no clones behind.
St. Phatty is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:08 PM #98
mushroombrew

mushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Phatty View Post
Waking up slowly here or I'd post the pics.

Had 2 plants REALLY stand out in this year's outdoor.

One of them Bay Dream (from Grand-daddy Purple seeds, Ken Estes) x Apollo 11.

Started flowering August 1 - and still going - like she's got some Haze in her, with a meaty Indica branch structure.

BUT THE MOM's ... if they survive.

I took a second batch of clones and both rooted. But the plant was in flowering. One clone is looking like she ain't going to make it.

The other is - and the pics of the struggling clones, to be mother plants, ain't pretty.

It's better to have the clones, to grow mother plants from, than to watch a great plant die leaving no clones behind.
Put them in 24hrs light. And foliar feed Nitrogen. May take a month to reveg. But if you can keep it alive with foliar it will make it.
mushroombrew is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:10 PM #99
mushroombrew

mushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to allmushroombrew is a name known to all
Also a dome is mandatory

Or cut plastic bottles and put an individual cover on them...
mushroombrew is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 08:48 PM #100
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant future
I grow mostly outdoors but do keep bonsais of keeper plants (or individuals I like). Since the outdoor cycle is really just one I don’t have a need for a lot of clones like I would if I was doing 3 or 4 indoor cycles.

So I keep small plants in veg over the winter and will take cuts late winter/early spring to get them some started for the upcoming season. I usually will put the over wintered bonsai out too and just start the process of making a new bonsai to preserve with one of the cuts. If I have to I can also take a cut from an outdoor plant before flower but I like to make sure I already have the genetics backed up in case something happens to the outdoor plant.

Some of these plants I’ve been growing this way for years.
Betterhaff is offline Quote