What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HPS/MH vs Cheaper LEDs- What is a noob to do?

FishEmulsion

Over a decade ago, I had several grows with pretty good results. It was fun and the end product was rewarding. I am legally allowed to grow and want to get back on the horse. I have to say the options now for all aspects of growing have really taken off. But, the new LED technology is what has me really struggling to make a decision.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on going for a hps/mh light vs a cheaper LED. There are a lot of opinions out there, and I'd especially like to hear from people who have first hand experience with a budget led.

Basically, I believe that one day in the not too distant future everyone will be using LEDs, and the high end LED's of today are very good. The problem is that I just am not able to spend $1K+ on a light, so I am left looking at the cheaper LEDs with a mixed reputation. Specifically, I am looking at the Amazon series viparspectra() or roleadro cobs ([URL="https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Spectrum-Light-Innovated-Generation/dp/B01I4NY8KW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498215176&sr=8-1&keywords=roleadro+cob"]) Although these have good reviews and some people praise them, there are also many people that say they are junk or do not provide the lumens for good flowering. Also, I believe that these cheaper lights are generally poorly supported by less reputable companies. I'd use 2-4 of these lights. My other option would be to get a 600 or 1000 watt hps/mh.

The parameters I am working with is a 4x4 growing footprint for 6 plants. I am either going to SCROG or train. The room I am using is actually pretty large-15 feet long x 5.5 wide x 6 feet 9 inches tall. I will be adding a fan/filter that vents and draws from the basement.

So, what am I to do? I want to save power and use the newest technology. But, I am concerned about reliability and results from leds in my budget. Although my power bill is a concern, the difference between running 600 watts of hps and 400 watts of leds can be made up for very quickly if the hps provides better results/reliabiltiy. Am I better going tried and true or should I go for a LED?

Jhhnn

Veteran
Investigate Philips 315w CDM tech. They're state of the art in HID lighting, excellent efficiency in turning watts into PAR radiation. Lamps maintain 80% output at 20K hrs, as well.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299165

I use a modified reflector w/ 2 lamps in an irregular 4x4 space with excellent results. I used a 1000w hps previously. Pics in my albums.

If you want to spend less up front then a 1000w HPS is a good option if you can dissipate the heat.

There's a lot of obvious hype & bullshit marketing wrt inexpensive LED panels. You have to go to the high end for quality goods.

DeMonet

I haven't personally seen, with my own eyes, any LED grow that has come even close to luring me away from HPS lights (although I'm curious about those new fangled LEC lights, which are damn near as expensive as LEDs.)

If you care about yield, which I assume you do, given that your growroom is not exactly a football arena, I'd say use that HPS. I think you will be much, much more pleased with the result than with a low priced (less than 1000 usd) LED light. (As Jhhnn says, you needn't bother with anything at all below the high end.)

You'll have bigger buds, higher yields, and due to the deeper light penetration through the canopy, you'll have a more versatile room in which you're not necessarily FORCED to scrog, as you basically will be with an LED, as the light from a 400w will only give you a useful depth of penetration of about 8-10 inches.

I see that the lights J mentioned are also a ceramic element technology. Intriguing. Anyway, stay away from cheap LEDs and you'll probably be a happier camper.

B

bigganjabud

picture.php

Just sayin

picture.php

Oh

picture.php

I've got proof I like both so I'm all for full spectrum lighting of mixed source hahahah

Jhhnn

Veteran
CDM's are simply more efficient than conventional HPS at creating PAR radiation from electricity. They're almost as efficient as LED's. That efficiency translates into less waste heat per gram of output & lower electric bills.

Having made the switch to CDM, I'll never go back. Watt for watt, they're head & shoulders above HPS for truly small non-commercial growers. Prices have come down a lot making them even more attractive for new setups.

FishEmulsion

I hadn't even heard of those CMH lights. I just read about them. It sounds intriguing...like the best of both worlds. It also sounds good for my space. Does anybody have a recommendation on a specific setup?

Thanks for the feedback.

PdxFarms

My opinion, Cmh is where things are at.
I'll be slowly converting.
I've seen first hand what they can do. And that's cut down on heat and energy cost at the same time equal growth, yield to 1000w mh veg and hps in flower. And at 1/3 the power.

I've been happy with my hydrofarm phantom kit I won last year in a raffle.

argo430

Veteran
I love my three 315's no complaints I have been running them almost 3.5 years. I have started playing with off the shelf led light bulbs as supplemental in my 5x5 gorilla with excellent results.
attachment.php

Attachments

• boomin.jpg
    boomin.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 8

Kablam

if you are intressted in led technology checkout Growmau5 or Greengene on youtube. those guys build thiere own leds but they have calculations and data for how effective leds are vs cmh and hps

w3rds

I just pulled 7 ounces off a 220w LED from 2011. Have a new 330w growing 9 plants that are filling out my 4x4 quite nicely right now. So in regards to your original question, LED will do you well without breaking the bank. Dont buy into the marketing behind many of those "High End" California lighting companies.

Latest posts

Latest posts