What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trump administration hints at ‘greater enforcement’ of marijuana laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxfarm

I understand space to mean that which allows all matter to exist within it. For example, imagine the room you're currently sitting in with the space removed. Matter can't exist without it, but matter is pretty all space itself. The Universe is either infinite or it's not, and trying to get a grip on both concepts does my puny brain in, but it's fun trying anyway hey. But just assuming for a moment that the universe is infinite, that would mean that nothing could exist outside it, including your God, because infinity is all that is. But then we have the multiverse theory. Would that mean that we have multiple infinities too, multiple all that is's :) or would they be part of an all encompassing infinity?
I don't see the need to separate God from all that is. Everyone can experience the divine in nature and themselves, be it a simple flower, a tree, the innocent laughter of a child, or the space within. I sometimes like to imagine myself as something like a single cell in the body of a giant. I kind of like the description of God as being all that is rather than something apart.
I heard the philosopher Alan Watts once describe time as a human construct, saying that there is no time in the emptiness of space, only rhythms.
Cheers

Dude, You and I need to sit down one day and share a joint. We would have a good long talk about things. LOL! That being said, I agree with you on your second point. I personally see God all around us. I look up at the billions of stars in the night sky and see God. I look at the complexities of the human body and see God. I see God in the mathematical nature of the universe. I see God in what some people call a moral code or standard of conduct that we all hold each other accountable to. I've always thought this way. I can't imagine looking up at the sky and truly believing that this is all just random coincidence that we are here. A fluke of nature. Trillions and trillions of random genetic mutations all happening at the right time in history to end up with beings like us who can contemplate their meaning? That is much harder for me to believe. Either we were created by an unknowing, unthinking universe or we were created by God. We didn't just pop into existence, either way we were created.

I will address your first point with a classic metaphor. I know its cliche, but imagine a fish bowl. The water represents space and time, and the fish represent matter. From the fishes perspective, your point is completely logical. Fish (matter) can only exist in space (water). Therefore, fish (matter) cannot exist outside of the fishbowl. If the fish bowl was large enough, the fish might wonder if the water (space) is infinite. It makes sense from the fishes perspective. But remember, I believe that God exists outside of space and time.

Dark Energy and Dark Matter. What the hell are they? These are just words to describe concepts that scientist know exist but have no clue about their true nature. Consider also that current string theory can't be right without the existence of 10 spacial dimensions. The three that we can perceive are pretty damn real to me. If their are 7 other dimensions that we are not even aware of and cannot see, I think it's safe to say that we as human beings don't know shit and the existence of God is just as viable a theory as any. In fact I would argue that if one looks at all the available data, one might have to admit that the evidence for a God is pretty strong.

Boxfarm

actually those are my words.

How big is his (gods) penis?
And doesn't a penis require a vagina to be useful?

I find this comment extremely insulting. I am sure that was your reason for writing it because I don't see any value in it in regards to the current discussion. Where I come from that's called fighting dirty and its shameful. I hope you are proud of yourself. I did not come on here to convince you that there is a God. I was only giving my opinion as I stated in my post.

Nothing that you wrote disproves the paradox that I stated.

Actually I directly debunked your paradox. At least I presented a theory that is just as plausible as yours. Not my fault if you don't understand.

try again with less rambling

Ummmm.... see below
---

If God is willing to prevent evil, but is not able to

Then He is not omnipotent.

If He is able, but not willing

Then He is malevolent.

If He is both able and willing

Then whence cometh evil.

If He is neither able nor willing

Then why call Him God?

-Epicurus

I see how this is relevant to your argument. It has no relevance to mine. Why is this here? You are challenging me, not the other way round.

this god stuff is against tou, so Im done

Quite right

oldchuck

Veteran
I believe Donald Trump is God.

Seriously though, infinity is a slippery concept. For example: How many numbers are there? Answer, of course, infinite. So then how many odd numbers are there? How many even numbers? Same answer, infinite. So how can half of something be equal to the whole?

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Dude, You and I need to sit down one day and share a joint. We would have a good long talk about things. LOL! That being said, I agree with you on your second point. I personally see God all around us. I look up at the billions of stars in the night sky and see God. I look at the complexities of the human body and see God. I see God in the mathematical nature of the universe. I see God in what some people call a moral code or standard of conduct that we all hold each other accountable to. I've always thought this way. I can't imagine looking up at the sky and truly believing that this is all just random coincidence that we are here. A fluke of nature. Trillions and trillions of random genetic mutations all happening at the right time in history to end up with beings like us who can contemplate their meaning? That is much harder for me to believe. Either we were created by an unknowing, unthinking universe or we were created by God. We didn't just pop into existence, either way we were created.

I will address your first point with a classic metaphor. I know its cliche, but imagine a fish bowl. The water represents space and time, and the fish represent matter. From the fishes perspective, your point is completely logical. Fish (matter) can only exist in space (water). Therefore, fish (matter) cannot exist outside of the fishbowl. If the fish bowl was large enough, the fish might wonder if the water (space) is infinite. It makes sense from the fishes perspective. But remember, I believe that God exists outside of space and time.

Dark Energy and Dark Matter. What the hell are they? These are just words to describe concepts that scientist know exist but have no clue about their true nature. Consider also that current string theory can't be right without the existence of 10 spacial dimensions. The three that we can perceive are pretty damn real to me. If their are 7 other dimensions that we are not even aware of and cannot see, I think it's safe to say that we as human beings don't know shit and the existence of God is just as viable a theory as any. In fact I would argue that if one looks at all the available data, one might have to admit that the evidence for a God is pretty strong.

You can't see three dimensions.

You can only see two.

Your mind isnt capable of even imagining what seeing four dimensions would be like.

The kid in the link below does a pretty good job of explaining it in such a way that it should be easy enough to grasp, even for the folks who fancy themselves in the know.

https://youtu.be/eGguwYPC32I

Now.... I have a few quick questions before I leave you crazy kids to your fun & games.

1- Can God make something so heavy that he could no longer lift it?

2- Can God hide something so well that he could no longer find it?

If honestly answering the two questions above hasn't helped in making this world just a little more tolerable for those in this thread that already knew the answers, then I have just one more question below.

If God created us in his image... does that mean God has a butthole?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

I'm back to bed. Gotta rest for tonight!!! I've got a lot of cervesa to drink.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
This thread has gone a long way from discussing marijuana legislation into uncharted territories of off-topic discussion. That was ok, until religion and politics began to get people upset, so now I have closed this as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts