What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dozens arrested in Denver-area pot raids targeting exporters

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DENVER (AP) — Police and federal agents arrested more than 40 people and seized piles of pot plants and elaborate growing equipment Thursday during raids of homes and warehouses throughout the Denver area, part of a multi-state investigation into the illegal distribution of marijuana outside Colorado.
Authorities described the case as the latest example of drug traffickers seeking safe haven in the state's flourishing marijuana industry in order to ship the drug out of state, where it can sell for more than double what it would in Colorado. Several raids in recent weeks have taken aim at out-of-state drug rings, including a sweep last month that focused on unlicensed pot grows of varying sizes.

The yearlong investigation that led to Thursday's raids began after residents living near the grows complained about the smell of weed, a law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press. The official wasn't authorized to comment on the ongoing investigation and did so on the condition of anonymity.

The official said the case involves people who moved to Colorado from Texas specifically to grow marijuana that would be illegally exported.

Officers searched about 30 properties during the raids, which spanned from the Denver area south to Colorado Springs. The North Metro Drug Task Force and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration referred questions to the state attorney general's office, which refused to comment.

At one home in a residential neighborhood, agents confiscated grow lights and laid them on the lawn and driveway. In an industrial spot in Denver, large pot branches were stacked up in bushy piles outside a trailer and loaded onto a National Guard vehicle, the pungent stench drawing curious onlookers.
Traffickers hide among the state's sanctioned warehouses and farms, but also in neighborhoods where concerned neighbors sometimes tip police, authorities say.

In Pueblo, about 115 miles south of Denver, seven separate investigations this month have led to the arrests of 12 people from Florida, many of whom are originally from Cuba. The Pueblo County sheriff's office has said all were growing the drug for shipment to more lucrative markets. Some had relocated to Colorado just weeks earlier.

FireIn.TheSky

This is what happens when people think they are above the law. Just because it's legal does not mean you can do what ever you want. Actually under legalization it is probably more dangerous to do shit like this because you are under such heavy watchful eye.

Been reading about peeps catching packages quite often in the news.

ExoticsRus

The thing is once your a "criminal" and have any record than you've even been leveled down as a 2nd rate human where getting a job and looked down on. Federally we need a state allowance choice and make a real licenseing because right now the prohibition pays for 60% of all drug related arrested and is most used "illegal /schedule 1"

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
go back to texas dumbasses....yeehaw...are they really that stupid...there is things like carbon filters and ozone ...stay in texas dumbasses..

Levitationofme

The thing is once your a "criminal" and have any record than you've even been leveled down as a 2nd rate human where getting a job and looked down on. Federally we need a state allowance choice and make a real licenseing because right now the prohibition pays for 60% of all drug related arrested and is most used "illegal /schedule 1"

Well i disagree. I was busted big time back in the 80's pled guilty. All long ago. I overcame any stupid obstacles
And i have my own business now. In Merica you can overcome. I did.
Obviously not everyone is me, but i have been at rock bottom a few times. Came up for air and doing well.

Dont give up!!!

R

Robrites

I call BS on LEO's statement that all these people got busted because of neighbor complaints. Some? Sure. I think they may be using tactics of questionable legality to zero in on people.

Jhhnn

Veteran
It's expected behavior from the cops. Since Congress forced the Feds to lay off MMJ they'll devote more resources to busting interstate operations. State authorities are happy to get on board with that.

It's not like there are fewer drug warriors, at all, or that they'll exercise less zeal in the pursuit of their duties.

It's expected behavior from the cops. Since Congress forced the Feds to lay off MMJ they'll devote more resources to busting interstate operations. State authorities are happy to get on board with that.

It's not like there are fewer drug warriors, at all, or that they'll exercise less zeal in the pursuit of their duties.

Nailed it. I wouldn't be surprised if operating in a legal state gave these growers a false sense of security. There's a lot to be said for going unnoticed, legal or not...

Latest posts

Latest posts