What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me match the right RO system to my pressurized Blumat system?

bigbadbiddy

Howdy folks,

I run organic soil and am setting up to use a pressurized Blumat system for my watering.

It's a 22 pots, 5 gallons each, setup with the Blumats being fed through a pump+accumulator combo to keep the pressure the same at the end of the line as at the start.

The pump and Blumats are fed by a ~200 liter or ~53 gallon water reservoir.

I recently switch from well-water back to tap water as it got too tiresome to carry all that water around every week.
Problem is the tap water is horrible, clocking in at >7 PH and >1500 ppm (currently only adding PH down to it).

High time for me to get a RO system installed to feed the 200 liter reservoir.

I started reading into the topic and am beginning to believe that there are huge differences between systems. Since they range from ~50 bucks to 400 bucks +, I am having trouble to decide what I need.

I think the deciding factor here is how many liters a day it can filter/"produce"?

Hand watering at the moment, I required maybe ~30, let's call it 40 for good measure, liters every 2-3 days. The water reservoir is definitely very oversized but I will continue to water my veg chamber by hand and plan to get a generic water pump with a hose/spray lance to do the handwatering in the future (currently using ye olde watering can).
Plus, a large reserve can't hurt, can it?

Anyway, pretty much all systems I saw, even the cheapest, were able to produce (or claimed it at least) 20+ liters a day so shouldn't I be good with a very small RO system?

What else should I look for?

The RO system is going to be connected via hose/line to a sink in the adjacent room and feed the water reservoir. I was going to use one of those gadgets that cut the power when the water rises above a certain level. If that doesn't work, I was simply going to play around with a timer until everything fits.

Am I forgetting something?
Is a 20 liter a day RO system enough? Maybe i look for 30/40 liter a day to have some wiggle room?
Do I need to consider something else I haven't mentioned?
How do you decide between RO systems? What do you look for? Certain filter specs or the like?

Thank you for your time and help!

BigBadBiddy

Good choice on the pressurized blumat system. Those shurflo on demand pumps are a hidden gem. Ive been growing for many years and just learned about them.

I recommend this ro system. https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Logic-31035-100-GPD-Stealth-RO100-Reverse/dp/B002JLACGK

You can add a membrane to it in the future to make it do 200gpd instead of 100. You can also get a UV filter add on which works well to sterilize your water. The membranes and carbon filters are available at most hydro stores or ebay/ amazon.

It is ok if your filter is oversized because the membranes will last longer than if you get to small of a system. With that many plants I imagine you might use more water than you are thinking especially if running through summer months.

yts farmer

Veteran
Can you even buy 20 litre a day ro units?

You're going to need good mains pressure to filter your water and if you haven't, you'll need to get a booster pump.

bigbadbiddy

I thought I saw such small R/O systems.

Pressure is more than ample.

So if I understood you two correctly, more or less any R/O system like the one linked by liquidcooled420 will do the trick and I should aim for 100 GPD plus?

yts farmer

Veteran
Yeah that sounds about right, sorry for the slow reply i guess you must of got it by now.

How's it working out for you?

Peace.

bigbadbiddy

Hey, no worries and thanks :)

Didn't get it yet, I still have a few months before I can set back up.

But I am sure it'll work like a charm :)

Latest posts

Latest posts