Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > Palram greenhouses

Thread Title Search
Palram greenhouses Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2018, 08:19 PM #11
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really nice
If it were me, i would want a hoop house with roll up sidewalls. If you are worried about being able to see in the sidewall vents, you could put fencing around it.

You could Also build a shed with polycarbonate panels for the walls. Make the roof roll back poly or something, so you can close it if it rains. You could put a hand crank or motor on it. You have to have big vents or you are going to have to put some really big noisy greenhouse fans in.

Those little roof vents won't do much unless the door is open. I know your climate is colder and you have less sun, but i still think you are going to have a problem.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 11-06-2018, 09:31 PM #12
two heads

two heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nice
Thanks, fortunately I have some time so I'll consider this carefully before spending the dough. It gets plenty hot and humid here in the summer.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:50 PM #13
flyontoast

flyontoast is on a distinguished road
Yes, happy days are upon us with legalization

This is a great bang for your buck. I've got one of these 10x20ft, but it only has 8ft of clearance at the center purlin (meaning the side/shoulders have about 6ft clearance). So if you plan to put plants in their the entire summer, you'll either have to train them like crazy or just put them in there beginning of July so they never get more than 5-6ft tall.

https://www.amazon.ca/ShelterLogic-G...s=shelterlogic

Also comes in 10x10ft if that fits your space better:
https://www.amazon.ca/ShelterLogic-G...s=shelterlogic

Canadian Tire has the 10x20ft on sales every 2-3 months sometimes as low as $300. I don't see them on CT website, but I got 2 in stores a year apart for that price.

The plastic is opaque, but last only about 3-4 years before the edges start to wear (I recommend taking it off in the winter for sure). The bottoms roll-up and has front and back peak vents, which provide great air flow on hot days. I would recommend putting 2 circulation fans in each opposite corners and hang box fans in the peak vents for even better venting (https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2...000682449.html)

You'll probably need 30-50% shade cloth to get through July-Aug if you want the temps below 30C (with shade cloth and box fans, you should be able to keep it slightly cooler than outdoor temp). I use to live in Ontario/Quebec and now farm in coastal BC, so I can promise you that Ontario has substantially HOTTER and more humid summers than Cali or BC, and obviously way more humid. I've used the 10x20ft for seedlings and use 70% shade cloth in BC to keep it below 26C, but we don't have more than 10-20% humidity until mid- to late-Sept.

If you were going to go the DIY route, I recommend buying a tempo/car garage from Costco, they are only $250 for a powdered steel 10x20ft (the model I got was in-stores only). Use that steel frame rather than PVC or bending EMT yourself because it's designed for snow loads and cold temps. You can build your own shed base or cinder blocks perimeter to give it extra heights. You'd have to source your own diffuse greenhouse plastic, which could be tricky if you're not a farmer willing to buy +150ft of it. Lots of youtube videos on how to build your own roll-up sides too (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GyYAnsyuLc). And if you want to go crazy, you can get vents like this for your peaks: https://www.johnnyseeds.com/search/?q=vent&lang=en_US
The money you save on poly-carbonate would certainly be better spend on automatic peak vents. You can also use 90% privacy screen/shade cloth along the sides, so you can roll-up the sides completely and still nobody would be able to see into the inside, while keeping great airflow.
flyontoast is offline Quote

Old 11-11-2018, 09:50 PM #14
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really nice

These 2 hoops were built with 16ga top rail that i bent. The first is 12x40ft. I use it for year round vedging. The second is a 20x60ft auto depp. It's half blacked out in the picture. These are pretty damn solid and i imagine they will last for 20 or so years. Definitely stronger then a garage in a box or shelter logic. They both have motorized roll up side wall vents on thermostats, and the big one has a second set of motors for light depp black out. These are in the norcal mountains. It gets to be 110f regularly in the summer and snows in the winter. Very strong wind.
I build the endwalls like homes are built. Lumber studs, covered with siding, steel prehung exterior door.
You could build a little 12x16 frame for 120$ of steel if you want. Trick it out however you want.
The only way mother nature could take one down is by dropping a tree on it

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:30 AM #15
two heads

two heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nice
I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the great feedback. I'm realizing that an 8x10 greenhouse is too much of a hothouse for 4 hearty plants - and I don't have room to commit to a larger one. Security and discretion were my main reasons for the interest in a polycarbonate greenhouse and I think I can get meet those goals with fencing, and maybe shade cloth, instead - and not have the concerns about humidity and venting.

I'm thinking I'll fence off a section of our existing back garden, giving each plant 4'x4'. Fencing like this will look nice in the yard (keeping everyone in the household happy is important) and offer good resistance to casual rippers, as well as satisfying any neighbours' concerns about access to their kids.
https://www.ace-canada.ca/en/product...black-03225026

Deer fencing with cedar posts might work too, and offer a bit more height. Either way, the cost and footprint are about the same with greenhouse or fencing but fencing won't stress the plants the way greenhouse walls would.

So maybe I'm not moving from the world of guerrilla growing to greenhouse growing. Not yet anyway. Thanks for helping me sort it out. That's always been the greatest strength of forums like this, especially when/where growing herb is illegal and there is a dearth of information.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:33 AM #16
two heads

By the way, those DIY hoop houses are really nicely made CrushnYuba. Maybe if I had a bit of land somewhere...

Old 11-17-2018, 06:44 AM #17
CrushnYuba

I have seen really nice plant cages for a few plants made from lumber and chainlink.