What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What happened to my girl Casey Jones?

Ten years ago I grew a strain called Casey Jones.

I remember it as one of my favorite strains of all time. It had an almost sweet / candy taste, with fluffy moderately airy buds.

I originally fell in love we cannabis due to the trippy nature of my first dozen experiences. They were truly psychedelic experiences, which filled me with true wonder. In time, however, sativa or sativa-dominant hybrids gave me serious anxiety when I smoked. Then came Casey.

The most notable thing about Casey Jones for me was that it was moderately psychedelic but had a relaxed, almost euphoric high. It wasn't the wild laugh-your-ass off high of new smokers, and it wasn't the totally stoned indica high of the popular strains out there. Rather, it relieved any smoking-related anxiety, gave muscle relaxation without a strong feeling of being physically stoned, and allowed me to focus on the moment, who I was with, and whatever creative idea we were talking about at the time - all without worrying about the environment around me.

I remember smoking home-grown Casey Jones once on a warm summer day and experiencing what one could almost describe as fleeting synesthesia. I was super relaxed, not a care in the world, but not stoned. I saw a bird dart quickly across the sky in my peripheral vision, but the sensation was experienced as a sound. The person I was with had the same experience, and this caused us both to quickly look around for the source of the noise. When he took a drink of his beverage soon thereafter, he described it as "drinking the universe through a straw." We were both seasoned smokers at the time.

Casey Jones was the type of smoke that, as someone split between creative and logical dominance, I could smoke and dive deep into a creative project. I could be productive and focused. It may have triggered a flow state.

Dominance-wise I'm not sure sure what it was. Visually it didn't have obvious sativa leaves, so I think it must have been a hybrid. Looking through my post history, it looks like it was second-tier on my list when I was searching for anti-anxiety strains

I'm extremely glad I was able to smoke this strain, but I would love to experience it again. I kept male pollen, but no original seeds.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find this Casey Jones? A quick search shows CJ is still a name of cannabis strains, but I don't see the original breeder I purchased from. How are strains / names among breeders handled these days? If I buy something called Casey Jones, it's probably a coin flip whether it's related to the original strain, right?

Looking through my post history, it looks like I commented in this thread started by Grat3fulh3ad. It's archived under Seedbay > Seedbay Private Breeders > Archived Breeder Forums > Head Seeds > Spring 2010.

Best I can tell I’m looking for Casey Jones by Grat3fulh3ad / Head Seeds. Anyone know what happened to them? Looks like they are long retired. Are there other breeders who took over the line, or any directly related genetics?

I know I’m unlikely to be able to find this specific strain, but I thought I’d inquire. Plus I want to share my past experience with my girl CJ.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
yes, unfortunately head seeds are retired. there are seeds from Devil Harvest, but it is probably based on some cut, so different to original. ojd makes crosses with truecannabliss cut.. but my reccomendation is to get seeds from member Loudog420, the best work with CJ in my opinion. not so long ago he said:
Look for LouDog Casey Jones to hit the server fund in December. Coordinating with Gypsy now and shucking beans... Probably my least favorite thing ganja related to do... But we'll get it done

thats your best chance to get quality cj beans. dont sleep on it!!! he means seedbay.com.. cheers.

Slimm

I bought several packs of Head Seeds Casey Jones in 2007 from Seedbay auctions. Over the years I have grown a few (~6) at a time. Always my favorite smoke. About 2010 I selected and grew out a stinky male with great structure. Pollinated one of the choicest females and ended up with a few hundred beans from that effort. I have grown those and they are true to the lineage.

I currently have two mothers in maintenance and growing out some for consumption. Two phenos in the current grow. One is pretty standard for the strain. Medium width blades, red stems, smells fruity with a strong skunky fuel smell. The other pheno is one I have not seen before. Narrower, sativa like leaves and big flower tops. She smells like rotting melons at 5 weeks into flower with no hint of fuel or skunkiness - very excited to see where this goes. I have never grown full on sativas, always hybrids. Another notable difference with the sativa leaning phenotype is that she is not getting frosty like her more hybrid leaning sisters.

You are right my friend - Casey Jones is like no other weed and I love it. So fear not - someone has been working to keep the strain alive. I am skeptical of the off brand CJ seeds I have seen out there. I am currently maintaining two mothers and am dedicated to this strain and have plans to continue its lineage. Will start up grow thread and throw a few posts up for this grow when I have some spare time. Here are a couple photos for now.

The sativa phenotype is being grown indoors under Timber lights and has really done well save for an aphid infestation that the lady birds have helped eradicate. Unfortunately the hybrid phenos did not do as well under natural conditions so its hard to compare the two.

Attachments

• photo2045177.jpg
    photo2045177.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 27
  • photo2045178.jpg
    photo2045178.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 29
  • photo2045179.jpg
    photo2045179.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 32
  • photo2045180.jpg
    photo2045180.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 37
  • photo2045181.jpg
    photo2045181.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Desert Dan

Veteran
Never got to try any Casey Jones, but train wreck x sour diesel has got to be a winner… Hopefully some preservation has been done.

Always happy to run some beans :D

-DD

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There is a 420 grow along going on now here, that was put up by the guy selling CJ. I can't remember who right now, but there is a thread here somewhere started in March/April. He was giving away the beans for this.

mexweed

Veteran
I used to see it around back when shops also regularly had trainwreck and lavender, at some point the chemmy jones rose up and is what is stocked now, I never see it under 30% usually 33-35% it tastes like D but with heavy pine to it, it's always the toppest shelf with oz being $300+ I got an 1/8 once on 420 discount lol

Happy Times

I bought several packs of Head Seeds Casey Jones in 2007 from Seedbay auctions. Over the years I have grown a few (~6) at a time. Always my favorite smoke. About 2010 I selected and grew out a stinky male with great structure. Pollinated one of the choicest females and ended up with a few hundred beans from that effort. I have grown those and they are true to the lineage.

I currently have two mothers in maintenance and growing out some for consumption. Two phenos in the current grow. One is pretty standard for the strain. Medium width blades, red stems, smells fruity with a strong skunky fuel smell. The other pheno is one I have not seen before. Narrower, sativa like leaves and big flower tops. She smells like rotting melons at 5 weeks into flower with no hint of fuel or skunkiness - very excited to see where this goes. I have never grown full on sativas, always hybrids. Another notable difference with the sativa leaning phenotype is that she is not getting frosty like her more hybrid leaning sisters.

You are right my friend - Casey Jones is like no other weed and I love it. So fear not - someone has been working to keep the strain alive. I am skeptical of the off brand CJ seeds I have seen out there. I am currently maintaining two mothers and am dedicated to this strain and have plans to continue its lineage. Will start up grow thread and throw a few posts up for this grow when I have some spare time. Here are a couple photos for now.

The sativa phenotype is being grown indoors under Timber lights and has really done well save for an aphid infestation that the lady birds have helped eradicate. Unfortunately the hybrid phenos did not do as well under natural conditions so its hard to compare the two.

thanks for sharing! The sativa pheno leaves remind me of TrainWreck though I haven’t seen it in quite some time

PolyChucker

Man Slimm there is nothing better than someone saying they love a strain and another person saying they’re dutifully preserving it. Much respect