What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help Me Choose a Strain from 10-Year Seed Stash!

Hey guys! I'm back at ICMag and growing after about a ten year hiatus.

I've been retired from growing for about a decade, and am about to get back into it. I have what I consider a large stash of seeds from around 2010. It's been so long that I don't recall well what most of these are, and online info is buried pretty deep. What do you think I should germinate?

General Setup / Needs

My actual grow setup / system hasn't been determined or built yet, but will be a small-to-medium indoor closet grow of up to six plants or so. Will probably pursue SCROG or SOG as the method. If I'm aware of any genetic needs of the plants (i.e. tall, lanky sativia) I'm willing to consider this in my build design. No veg or flower turnaround time requirements in seed selection.

Lighting also hasn't been selected, but will likely be many CFLs or one 150w-250w HPS. I'm open on LEDs if someone can sell me on it.

What I'm Looking For

I'm mostly looking to get back into the joy of growing. If anything in my stash jumps out to you, please let me know what and why. Any gems here? Anything to avoid? Otherwise I'm looking for maybe one indica-dom and one sativa-dom.

I have about a dozen or so seed strains from around approximately 2010.

Without further ado, here is my seed stash:

• Mandala #1 by Mandala Seeds
  • Mandala Safari Mix (Freebies)
  • New York City Diesel x Mix (assorted males)
  • SoGouda x Mix (assorted males)
  • Original Haze x Skunk 1 by Sam The Skunkman (Freebies)
  • Chemdog Krush apophis x Grape Krush by 420 Bean Company
  • Arcata Trainwreck X ChemD F2 (Trainwreck Pheno Mother from BM-504's cross) - Freebies
  • Strawberry Diesel 99 by Fractal Genetics
  • ICED Grapefruit by femaleseeds
  • Hawaii Maui Waui by Nirvana
  • Hindu Kush by Nirvana
  • Durban Poison by Nirvana
  • SF Greyskull raspberry Kush x Moutain Madness
  • Chem D x C99 (untested) by Mooch755
  • Highlighter F13 x A11 (freebie)
  • SF Krizznapp Abusive Kush F2

What do you think I should start with? Any you've grown and enjoyed? How was the smoke?

P.S. Really excited to see the board is still around and active.

HGCC

No real advice on lights, the LED stuff had come a long way and if I were currently building from scratch I would go that route. Its a bit pricey, but you get a wider spectrum of usable light at a much cheaper running cost, if you want to do the sativas everyone likes now you would benefit from that route. Idk though, thats just based on what I have read.

For strains...mandala 1, the skunkman cross, and the Chem crosses...particularly the c99 one, and the Arcata train wreck.

Mr. Stinky

Advice: dont pop the skunk/haze, mandala, or nirvana seeds until you are back in the saddle and ready to keep moms. My list of LOST keepers from stupid mistakes is longer than your seed list. Be ready for the good ones when they pop, and plan to have those girls still 20 years from now.

Get real lights. I prefer 1k mh for everything but 400 mh works for in the veg room. That's minimum in my opinion. I dont own an hps lamp. Never liked them

Good luck.

Beaucephus

the diesel mix sounds exciting... i dropped 4 tonight marked cotton candy x sage and/or nycd x sage... no idea whom i got them from but thats why the diesel x mix caught my eye.

lLucky

Advice: dont pop the skunk/haze, mandala, or nirvana seeds until you are back in the saddle and ready to keep moms. My list of LOST keepers from stupid mistakes is longer than your seed list. Be ready for the good ones when they pop, and plan to have those girls still 20 years from now.

Get real lights. I prefer 1k mh for everything but 400 mh works for in the veg room. That's minimum in my opinion. I dont own an hps lamp. Never liked them

Good luck.

Yeah be careful you don't lose something you wish you hadn't!

I use MH for veg and both MH + HPS for flower, I find the MH increases the quality during flowering quite a bit.

New York City Diesel x Mix
raspberry Kush x Moutain Madness

sound like a decent place to start to me!

Fitzera

Either useless or dots did some iced grapefruot and the structure looked really good. Very nice plants and buds. I'd look there myself.

Happy Times

I’ll vote

Trainwreck
Maui Waui
F13xA11

Just like the sound of these but lots of goodness in that list, hard to pick

JockBudman

Safari mix for sure. In fact ah think you could get both mums out of them seeds - ah did them a few year back an got at least 3 out of 4 females ah wish ah'd kept. In the end only got one tae root an she got flowered out one last time this summer - a decision ah made because, frankly, she's too potent an gies me the fear but otherwise she's solid. Takes abuse like a champ, frost frae the start of flower or even a long veg an can seriously yield if everything goes right, wi a respectable result even if it doesn't.

Ah crossed her tae an Afghan kush an tried a skunk cross but the pollen failed. Ah wish she could've been hit more but there's no enough space or time for me tae keep clones an grow all the seed ah have an have made.

Ah plan tae grow the last 8 or so in a pollen chuck tae keep the genepool goin. Some good stuff in there for sure.

Outside that, ah'd do the iced grapefruit as ah like the gf on its own an a pal did the iced one an it was lovely. In fact that's the plant that sold me on growin ma own many years ago.

Got the Maui wowie comin frae s33dsman black Friday deal so ah'd pop them an all. No experience wi it but ah seen a thread on here wi a stringy extreme sativa expression so that's what ah'm lookin for tae line breed wi.

Good stash though, good luck wi the grow.