What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Frustration of Hang Time

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Ever since I joined here I have experienced hang time from time to time. Meaning the page takes forever to load. But I could go to other tabs in my browser and continue to surf the world-wide-web (lol) without issue; which always led me to think it was site specific. In the past, it wasn’t frequent and was a minor inconvenience; lately it seems to happen often and for longer periods and has now become an annoyance. Anymore I end up ending my session earlier than I would like, due to frustration.

Although it seems site specific, could it just be that I am on an old computer? I am on an iMac from 2007, OSX 10.6.8, and browsing with Safari in private mode.

Anyone else experience this, or is it likely just the old ‘puter?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Not a computer issue, I encounter this intermediately as well on icmag regardless of device im using. Rarely after getting hung up loading a page ill get a database error and have issues accessing the site for while.

T

Teddybrae

Mate ... I have a fairly powerful one year old laptop but my connection to the Web is by satellite.

Undoubtedly satellite connection is the most tenuous way to connect to the web (connection may be lost when there is a weather event) yet I do not have the problems you describe.
So I 'm thinking the breakdown must be somewhere in your domain.
Cheers ...

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Thanks to all for the replies.

The computer is wired direct via ethernet. Not wireless. A speed test clocks 22.75 Mbps on the download; and 6.24 Mbps on the upload. I have no issues elsewhere. But I realize the database of IC is huge in comparison to the other sites I frequent, and as such, I think the problem may be more related to sheer processing power (or lack thereof in my case), than my connection speed.

I readily admit to not being technologically proficient. I was already kicking around the idea of a new computer, greater connectivity on IC would be a big bonus, nudging me more towards that route. But would kind of suck to find the same lag time on a new computer, which is why I wanted to ask if others with newer devices also experience this.

With only one other member reporting similar issues, it seems the consensus is on a lack of processing power. Or does anyone think it’s speed related? I am obviously nowhere near 1G up/down.

Too old computer buy a new one they are cheap now mining hype is over.:comfort:

I haven't a clue as to what 'mining hype' is.

Brother Nature

I doubt it's your machine, I've experienced this as well, but never on my home network, only when I've been browsing at work. However, when I connect my work machine to our DMZ I never experience this. Basically I'd imagine it could have something to do with your provider or how your actual network is setup. That is only an educated guess, I do work in IT but not networking. Also, if you're in the US it may have to do with the recent net neutrality rule changes, especially if you're using one of the major providers.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Network and Server hardware has hiccups once in a while (getting old or hot), high surges of traffic (people accessing a network or site/server at once) could cause it hang momentarily as it receives data faster than it can processes it, This is what a DDOS attack is, an overflow of bots simultaeously overlaoding the proccesing power of the CPU. Similar to overloading a panel not staggering your lights on startup. Im thinking it has more to do with the network connection than the site.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts