What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HEADY BLUNTS -- 400w vert micro cab - 22.5" tall -- organic soil w/ blumats!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
a little update.

the babies are growing nicely. i forgot to mention i've had my lamp dimmed down to 250w to save a little change on the old electricity bill.

here's the right side. the indica-ish stuff plus my still sad dieselrella reveg. to x bmr up front, pr x a in the middle, and chemd x mat in the back.

picture.php

here's the left (sativa-ish) side. pr x a in front, cherryhaze in the middle, and n x bmr in the back.

picture.php

i took those last night after lights out. this morning i decided three of the plants had decided to be males, and as much as i'd like to flower them out and do some chuckin', i dont' have the space. i cut them off at soil level so as not to disturb the roots of their neighbors.

one cherryhaze, one pr x a, and one chemd x mat.

i think i'll use them as a centerpiece for the family dinner tonight :D

picture.php

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
cherryhaze #2

picture.php

cherryhaze #1 (supercropped)

picture.php

nigerian x blue moon rocks #1 & #2

picture.php

the one x blue moon rocks #1 & #2

picture.php

punto rojo x afghani #1, #2, #3

picture.php

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Wow man - seems like such a different concept than the last one, I can't wait to see how they turn out! When are you going to hit the switch?

Still rockin' the blumats?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
ya it's way different. i mean, i've got 5 different varieties and 12 unique phenotypes, none of which i've ever grown before.

let's call it an adventure!

i think another week or two and i'll be in trouble, but i can't train them the way i want without extra vegetation. i enjoyed my jungle last time, and i'm planning on a more aggressive pruning for this round, so i'm not really stressing.

also i'm waiting for a couple decent branches to clone. i have been avoiding topping. i will be doing some lst in the future, but for now some simple supercropping is getting me by.

as for the blumats i still haven't gotten them installed! i got the biggest drip trays i could find (marked 24" but obviously not), and i had to squeeze the beds in there. so much for the square pots. If i could just get the right sized bin that would provide some insurance against runaways, they'd already be installed.

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
K+ on the setup and thread!

its literally inspirational what you have done with your limited space. your cab was the "proof of concept" that we needed to attempt a similar setup. basically i want to help my friend who is a medical user to become self sufficient so he doesnt have to buy inferior medicine no more. electricity usage and small space availability meant we were brainstorming ideas in order to grow enough medicine as he is a heavy user. he became very interested in vertical as he could easily percieve the benefits of increasing space and energy efficiency. at first our calculations suggested this type of setup might not work with a 400 but all doubts have been banished and now i can help him build his own medical micro-vert garden.

I would like to know what extractor fan do you use and how many cfm? also where are you venting to, just into the room or to outside? finally, what sort of temps do you get inside vs ambient temps.

cheers

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
hey ezra thanks for stoppin by.

heat is the biggest issue at this point in my cab. during my last run with my old ventilation set up, i was averaging between 14 and 19 degrees (F) above ambient.

i was getting away with it thanks to the heartiness of that widow cut i was growing, but on the hottest days of the summer i had to dim the light down or even turn it off and open the cab doors to the indirect light i get through the room's windows.

if i lived anywhere else, it might be prohibitive.

anyway i upgraded my ventilation system for this run. went from an 8" duct-booster type fan (sorry to everyone, i'm pretty sure i called it a "can" fan for a long time, because it looked like a can, and i didn't know about the brand of in-line fans at the time) to a 4" vortex.

if you could fit a 6" vortex i think it would be even better.

i've got the light dimmed to 250w for the veg right now, and i'm at 9* above ambient with the new fan. I'm getting MUCH better airflow based on the suction at the passive intakes and at the top of the cooltube. I think i can sink the cooltube another 2" or so into the floor to increase the room for airflow above it. that might shave another few degrees off.

anyway it vents into my closet and the passive intakes are in the same space. this is for stealth reasons. i can close the closet doors and the whole thing is completely hidden. it can run for a while like that, especially if it's less than 70* ambient. most of the time i try to leave it cracked or better yet wide open just to get better airflow.

the last piece of the puzzle is upgrading from a dinky oscillating fan to a good window box fan in my room to keep the air moving in my apartment.

keep me updated with the build and subsequent grows!

that reminds me, i'd love to get a general opinion: is it better to have the light oriented with the base up or the base down?

i did the last two rounds base up, which puts the bulb more in the center of the space, but this round i flipped it upside-down so the base is at the bottom. i figure more light is coming out of the top of the bulb, so that should point up. that way instead of the light from the tip of the bulb bouncing off the floor then off the ceiling to reach the topmost leaves and buds, it only has to bounce of the ceiling, hopefully increasing the light that ultimately makes it to the plant.

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
i dont think the orientation would matter as long as the hps tube is in the centre relative to the plant canopy. do you know how many cfm is your extraction fan (the vortex)?

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
is it better to have the light oriented with the base up or the base down?

In your setup, base down is the preferred approach for the reasons you described. In a perfect world, it would be base up (but mounted higher than you have space to give) shining down onto the top of the leaves. But the training you give your girls brings them down below the light. Maybe you should add a reflective layer to your ceiling?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
hey thanks for the suggestions guys! i guess i'll leave it as is for now.

Maybe you should add a reflective layer to your ceiling?

i was thinking the same thing.i think mounting mylar will be difficult, but if i could find some of that reflextex stuff it might be perfect.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I love this thread heady. Always enjoy watching your approach to your space & makin' do. :respect:

Also can't wait to see all the different personalities that pop up when those broads get a little older. :D

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
thanks SH!

i'm already in love with the cherryhaze #2. such a beautiful plant already. I have a bunch more seeds to pop but i almost want to just use a cutting from this one for my outdoor run this summer.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Wicked cab, heady! That's an inventive way to deal with the stretch.

Good luck with the clones. I have no idea! Are they pretty branchy down low?