What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Want to upgrade my old worn out mags

samiam

So been running my mags for over 10 years now most have had the caps replaced.

I thank I'm ready to go all out digital now, but I'm not sure what the best 1000 watt ballast are. And do all digitals run DE now? What about CMH? What are best hoods?
I have 10 foot cileings because I grow trees I need penetration so don't talk me into those cob LED's lol.

samiam

The capacitors burn out but there cheap to replace. And some I had to put a better ignitor in for 20 plus foot cords.

Nothing worng with the ones I have, I'm hoping to cut down 8000 BTU of heat by going with 8 digital ballasts.

P-NUT

Veteran
With 10' ceilings I would get gavitas. As long as youve got plenty of a/c. Idk if itll save you 8k btu or not but your room will be the brightest its ever been.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd go with DE ballast & bulbs as well.

I don't think your going to reduce your heart signature though.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
LOL, I am going the other way--I am replacing my digitals with mag/cap ballasts; more reliable imo.

samiam

So the digital ballast are still crap? That sucks I was hoping by now there would be much better ones than 10 years ago.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Let's just say, IMO, the digitals cost a bit more, produce greater amounts of RFI, and are disposable at the end of the day (not repairable).

That said, I still have 1 digital that is over 10 years old and still works, but most of my other digitals (Quantum, Lumatek, Galaxy, etc) died after 3-5 years of daily use.

A cheap AM radio tuned to the low end of the band will detect RFI from digitals; I had one ballast that produced so much interference is was like a neon sign pointing to my front door that flashed the words "I GROW POT". As I walked toward my house with the AM radio, the noise got louder and louder; not good for those of us trying to be "invisible".

mushroombrew

Veteran
Solistek digi's are the only ballasts I have had luck with SE and DE. Galaxy's drop left and right.

I am waiting to hear back on if it can drive a 945 CMH. Basically very similar to that bulb you posted. I am testing an A1 and want to try CMH in it.

samiam

Good read I'm sure that held true back than but that post is pretty outdated from 5 years ago.

I would have to thank there have been improvements since then. And up until this year there weren't any DE CMH bulbs available.

Never the less if a ballast does die on me I always have a couple spare ones to swap out with and with a 5 year warranty I thank you get your money's worth.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Good read I'm sure that held true back than but that post is pretty outdated from 5 years ago.

I would have to thank there have been improvements since then. And up until this year there weren't any DE CMH bulbs available.

Never the less if a ballast does die on me I always have a couple spare ones to swap out with and with a 5 year warranty I thank you get your money's worth.

The rep I spoke to recently said the same shit. But he was a rep lol!

I have Solis SE digi's that are from '04 I think. That's why I mentioned them they last.

samiam

So it looks like I can get 12 of the ballast with the bulb for under $3k shipped.

Now I just have find a good hood that can handle 6kvps

Last edited:

mushroombrew

Veteran
Buy an extra one for sure. I have had problems with many brands. I just went through 3 Galaxy 220V Digi this year. Won't buy those again.

Just concerned your cheap Sunplix will need replacement. A spare or in my case 3 are good to have around.

Also a couple extra bulbs bro.

Best of luck!

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
As far as hoods if your going the seperate types I really like the de adjustawings they can really throw light n don't have the same type of hotspot directly under like the gavita or epaps... All these new stuff is hit or miss just like the old as far as life expectancy, shit I still got some of,the first lumateks that work but have burned up many to.... Sounds like a sizeable grow you should have back ups on hand... If u don't need them u could always fire them up elsewhere but if your like me that's when one will go out.