What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
i see
so TEs are considered receivers
makes sence
best luck of this season,hemphrey!

yeah we will see how goff starts he season
he could still become a hof qb, or he could just be another #1 pick who went on to meh
/has anyone been following the eagles this preseason?, how is wentz doing?

so what are your takes coming out of the preseason
a lot of teams lost key players to injury
most notably the ravens and dolphins
/heard kaep will be in the booth this season
will carr lead the silver and black to the promise land?
over/under: can cleveland turn it up and post up four wins (was going to go with five but lets not push it?)
what week will we see trubinski play in chicago?

man, i cant wait for football!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
TE is its own position but you dont get points for blocks, so the best fantasy TE's are the ones who put up a lot of receiving stats.
When antonio gates was in his prime (pre-Gronk era) you had such an advantage at the TE position if he was on your team. Like he put up twice the points of an average TE during that time, except for maybe tony gonzalez.

I'd say as long as goff doesnt become fat and lazy, he'll be a better #1 pick than jamarcus russell, although even if he works hard there's a chance he could become another tim couch. Just based off last year it's hard to imagine him becoming an elite QB, but maybe he was pressed into action too early on a bad offense...

The dolphins and ravens had QB injuries but flacco will probably start week 1 after sitting out the preseason with a back injury, because i cant imagine they would start ryan mallett in a meaningful game.
Is kaepernick much of a talker? Cant imagine any network would give him a shot broadcasting games, what with the controversy that follows him.

Conventional wisdom says trubisky sits out the 1st four games, against pretty good teams, so as to preserve his confidence. But if glennon looks a hot mess early on, which is very possible, then i dont see how fox has a choice but to turn to someone else, and the only other qb they have now is the butt fumbler. Well, connor shaw, but people say he's strictly practice squad material.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Well, nfl cut down day came and went. Did your team cut anyone you thought had a promising future?
Bears, despite need at WR, cut Victor cruz and tanner gentry. Cruz wasnt that surprising, it's been a few years since he was good; tore his patellar tendon and then his calf and took almost 2 years to come back and hasnt been the same since.
Tanner gentry is an undrafted guy who set receiving records at some small college; supposedly he had good size and speed and showed good chemistry with trubisky, maybe he'll be on the bears practice squad if he clears waivers.
I said screw it and had the system do an auto-draft for me in one of my leagues, and im actually not too upset once i got a good look at my team. Probably going to change a couple of my bench players through the waiver wire but altogether this lineup is something i can work with, and probably not that much worse than if i had drafted myself, maybe even better if things shake out right...

Space Toker

Veteran
Losing Edelman was a tough blow but the Pats have like 6-7 playmakers on their offense that brady can get the ball to so i doubt they lose much scoring potential, if at all.
What are you thinking Toker, 19-0 this year? Or 18-1? With the one loss coming in ... week 17?

oh not going to make bold predictions, along the lines of what you are saying, in some post I either can't find or one that got deleted I think I said similar stuff, but I do think if we can make the most of what we have, we are looking at a good season indeed. I don't think Brady or Edelman or a couple others are what will make the team great again or otherwise, it will be a team effort and we seem to be good at that so I like our chances, so thanks for caring! :D

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Well, id disagree with you on one point: I think the Pats' greatness does depend on brady. He can lose another 1 or 2 weapons on offense but still be fine. Garappolo is maybe the best backup QB in the league but i think it's a stretch to think he'll perform like brady, especially come playoff time.

The Pats are the only team favored in all 16 of their games, and the Jets are the only one not favored in any of their games. When you have the actively tanking jets and bills in your division, those are 4 easy wins there (like 2nd stringers in the 4th qtr easy). That has to be an advantage when the pats face the tougher games in their schedule, at Steelers, hosting Saints. And dont get me started on Miami and Cutler; I think Cutler will average 2-3 ints in his games against NE...

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Wow...Alex Smith looked damn near perfect last night. Can't believe that was the same dink and dunker I'm used to seeing. I mean, he actually threw some deep balls for a change! Nice job, KC!

Spanked the Pats on their home turf...never would have thought KC could have gotten away with such a lopsided victory.

HB.

shithawk420

Veteran
Damn.the Bears very well could have won.I'm torn between cause ATL is my second team and I know they got a better shot than the Bears so when they looked like they were gonna win i was conflicted.Anyway good game.Glennon sucks though.Cohen is awesome.lots of potential for the Bears.I was pleasantly surprised.I thought the packers,seahawks game was gonna be better but I was kinda wrong.packers played pretty good today as much as I hate to admit it.seahawks played pretty good too

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Week 1 so far has had some surprising results but it's too early to make any definite conclusions about how good or bad any team is.

Maybe the chiefs just match up well against the patriots. They laid a whooping on the pats back in 2014, the last time they played. Of course, the patriots only went on to win the superbowl later that season. Also, the last 3 times they lost their season opener, the patriots won the superbowl. So maybe there is such a thing as a 'good loss'.

Of bigger concern is the patriots defense giving up 40+ pts and 500+ yards, both highs during the belichick era. This was the same unit that led the league in scoring defense last year.
Gilmore doesnt look like he's worth the big contract the patriots gave him, and theyre lucky that hightower only has a knee sprain (missing a week or two at most) instead of a season ending injury. The patriots front 7 didnt look great with him, and looked soft without him.

If there are any chiefs fans here, does anyone think that alex smith will continue to throw it downfield the rest of the season? I know he has as many 300yd passing games in his career as brees has in one season, but maybe he's feeling the urgency to make the offense more potent with a QB of the future watching from the sideline.
I only ask this because i need a 2nd qb in one of my leagues, was wondering if i should pick him up...

Bears had a chance to win it at the end, and may have covered the spread against the almost superbowl winners. I was honestly expecting them to lose by 20, so maybe there's hope.

Rams looked good on offense and dominant on defense, maybe Poprocks has found his new team to root for. It came against the Luck-less Colts though, so we'll have to see what they look like against teams with real qb's.

Hawks got robbed of a pick six with a bogus block in the back call, and also their #2 CB being ejected for a phantom punch. Without those calls going against them they probably, or might have won.
Still, their offensive line looked terrible, even worse than it has the past few years.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I got owned this weekend... Thursday by Hunt and then Sunday my fantasy squad forgot how to play football.... Not down Freeman and Julio doing nada...

At least I dont feel like Brady and Gronk suck anymore...season starting slowwwwwww

A-Rob u suck... Hopkins hello Mr. Watson :)

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
not ready to jump on the rams bandwagon just yet baba'
i think you hit it on the head here, "...maybe he's feeling the urgency to make the offense more potent with a QB of the future watching from the sideline."
but ive said it before, i like andy reid teams and i believe in alex smith
/if you can score smith at a good price i would take him

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I already picked him up in one league after thursday's game. Not sure if he's for real though, most expert rankings still have him as a bottom 10-15 QB (not startable in 12 team, 1QB leagues) for week 2 at the eagles. I guess i have to hope theyre wrong and he still feels the urgency to keep slinging it if he wants to remain a starting qb. He's under contract for next year as well but could be trade bait if the chiefs decide to move on to mahomes.

Vikings looked good against the saints, bradford looked like a top 5 qb against the saints lack of defense.

Chargers didnt look great against the broncos until the last quarter, when i stopped watching. Had a chance at tying up the game but first kick was iced and second attempt was blocked. Anthony lynn didnt have a great debut as head coach, from wasting a challenge on a reception that hit the ground to wasting time on a 2min drill at the end of the game. Also didnt play hunter henry enough, but maybe they wanted more blocking in there. But there's time to improve on things, and the AFC west is looking like the leagues best division; all 4 teams might finish .500 or better.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
agree that the afc west will be red hot this season
im surprised that alex smth would grade so low, hes not know as a gun slinger but he is def a solid nfl qb
i think frisco gave up on him way too early, but wiht kaep standing tall at the time who could blame them
i dident watch the chargers game but it sounds like the same ol' team
they give up a lot of points early, rivers gets hot and in the end blow it on some stupid play
/last seasons botched hold was a fav of mine but there were plenty of close loses to choose from
the chargers will continue to loose the close games, but who knows, the west could send three teams to the playoffs
more likely: chiefs/raiders take the division with the other team getting in on a wild card

goff looked good for the rams, too
as i said in the preseason, he looks like he is making the adjustment to the pros
he still need some weapons around him but he looks like he is ready to take the next step

after loosing johnson this past weekend az is kind of screwed no matter who they play
/plus a lot of fantasy players i imagine
i wonder how many more games does zeke' play before he has to sits out his six games?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I might actually roll with alex smith (vs eagles) over kirk cousins (vs rams) this week in one of my leagues: that rams Defense might be legit with wade as playcaller and getting aaron donald back. They looked great against the colts but the colts were an abomination without luck. The eagles have a good D too but are more vulnerable to the pass than the run and they lost their best CB for 6-8 weeks.

Smith is mr. checkdown almost every game but when he's forced into a shootout he can sling it, he's shown it before. I guess if you can win 10-11 games a year not throwing the ball downfield you just go with it.

Didnt the chargers blow a bunch of 4th quarter leads last year? Like 6-7 games where they had the lead... The chargers never lead this game but almost tied it up with a 4th qtr comeback. But yeah, blowing it at the end is similar.

David johnson is pretty much out for the entire year, may come back in december when the cards have like 4-5 wins, what's the point in even playing then? Cards might hold him out then so they get a better draft pick, they'll probably need their qb of the future, carson looks done.

Zeke looks like he's going to play this entire season, if he has to serve a suspension it'll be next year, like brady with deflategate, he didn't have to serve his suspension till the litigation worked its way through the courts and that takes months and months.

I thought goff has some decent weapons in watkins, kupp, gurley, jared cook... although Watkins is an injury risk, gurley hasnt really been great since his rookie year, and cook looks like a great TE but hardly plays like one.

Any fantasy players pick up tarik? Think he can be a good flex player getting 12-20 touches a game?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
smith has playing in a pretty balanced offence for several years so he really hasnt needed to throw down field like some other qbs
before charles fell victim to father time he was a great rb and could break off big chunks of yardage on any play
hopefully wiht the new kid hunt they will still be able to play a balanced game but he looks like he could be a big receiving threat as well

you hit it right on the head with watkins, i think thats why buffalo let him go
too much time injured
if gurley can return to his previous form it helps
i still think the rams are a WR#1 away from having a potent offence

yeah the chargers lost pretty much every close game they played last season
some of those loses were down right comical

im not up to speed with the rules of fantasy but i tihnk smith (v eagles) is a better call than cousins (v rams)
im taking a good look at the rams this year and as long as goff keeps improving they are going to be a better team
/plus i love wade!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Giants down broncos next watch out cardinals and rams the cowboys are going to roll over all of you

I think the cowboys will definitely be superbowl contenders this year; people say they will regress from 13 wins last year and that might be true (maybe looking at 11-12 wins) Dak is a legit QB that can win you a championship. Plus he doesnt break at the slightest touch.

smith has playing in a pretty balanced offence for several years so he really hasnt needed to throw down field like some other qbs
before charles fell victim to father time he was a great rb and could break off big chunks of yardage on any play
hopefully wiht the new kid hunt they will still be able to play a balanced game but he looks like he could be a big receiving threat as well

you hit it right on the head with watkins, i think thats why buffalo let him go
too much time injured
if gurley can return to his previous form it helps
i still think the rams are a WR#1 away from having a potent offence

yeah the chargers lost pretty much every close game they played last season
some of those loses were down right comical

im not up to speed with the rules of fantasy but i tihnk smith (v eagles) is a better call than cousins (v rams)
im taking a good look at the rams this year and as long as goff keeps improving they are going to be a better team
/plus i love wade!

Who would you say is a legit WR#1? Is it only guys like Antonio, Evans, AJ, Dez, Demaryious, Larry? Would you say Keenan is one?
I think watkins has shown he can perform at a WR#1 level, he's had some pretty big games before, only he keeps missing games due to injury. But he's supposedly healthy this year fwiw.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
"Who would you say is a legit WR#1?"
watkins has potential but i dont see him being the wr#1 until he shows he can play most of the season and be a big part of that offence
keenan would def be wr#1 for the chargers
hes had a run of bad luck and been hurt for most of the past few seasons, but you could tell that he was phillip rivers go-to guy
i guess thats how i would define an ideal wr#1: your go-to guy
/able to make a variety of receptions (especially the big catches), and has that bond with the qb on the field

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I'd agree with you there, a WR#1 is someone you can force the ball to, even if they're matched up on an elite corner or they're double teamed. But in that case there are probably only 10-15 WR#1's in the league then.

I think the rams have changed their color scheme from blue and gold to blue and white. So that's more chargers like, i guess.
The cardinals lost their best player and the niners are still rebuilding, if the rams win 3 or 4 games against them, they could be looking at a .500 season or better. Maybe not enough for a wild card in the nfc unless they go 10-6 though...

I hear the chargers still havent sold out their 27k seat stadium. If their ticket revenue really suffers in LA, maybe spanos will have to sell the team down the road?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
i noticed the rams new look too, baba'
while not dodger blue, could we call this the LA look? the blue and white
/and who will forget the chargers early attempt to rebrand to the "LA look" as soon as they moved out of san diego
while its still too early to gauge fan support, the chargers are fighting an uphill battle all the way in los angeles
they play the dolphins later today and im looking fore ward to seeing what the crowd looks like
i could see the rams going .500, especially given the reasons you laid out
so did you end up playing smith today in your fantasy league?
he is not putting up the same numbers as last week in the air but the chiefs arent looking that bad
it was all d in the first half but it looks like the offence is starting to make some noise

enjoy the games!