What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whos got the best Afghan?

Tynehead Tom

Let's be honest and accurate for the historical record here, that's simply not true.

The red and yellow afghani were clones that floated around BC. Steve collected them, like he did with the grapefruit, dutch treat and other clones that founded his early releases, he didn't create them or the lines they came from. They were just clones he grabbed and hit with pollen from the lone male that sprung from 5 seeds DJ gave him at the Cannabis cup. DJ has nothing to do with these seeds, other than giving steve 5 seeds. Calling it collaborative work is a real stretch.

I'm only going by what I've read online and from what I gathered from a couple interviews. I've never had in person conversations with either breeder but what I've posted above seems to be the general understanding amongst the little people like myself.
if I've got it wrong, well, I'm only working with information posted by steve and from conversations I've listened to in interviews , articles I've read. I've grown a lot of shiskaberry (F1) and bred it years ago in my own hobby breeding. I find it excellent medicine for my back and pelvic pain and am stoked to have it in my garden. Regardless of the story behind it, it's got some nice "afghani" type genes onboard.
I've got your C4 going right now and one is a totem pole, 16 inch tall, tight nodes all the way up and no branches. In week 1 of flower right now and it's a beauty indica leaner ;)

bigbadbiddy

I got PCK from ACE and Ortega and Nordle from MNS in that direction.

None of them are pure afghani though.

MAYBE the Ortega?

Very interesting question and (mostly) good thread.

@the breeder steve discussion
The way I see it Steve ripped off DJ. Something that apparently happened a lot to DJ in that time. Bei it DP, Sag or SoL, the story goes DJ handed a few seeds over wanting to do a collaboration and in the end these folks just did their thing, capitalized on DJ's name and genetics and didn't include him at all.
I remember reading one of his accounts that he actually had the "best" collaboration with Steve, because Steve at least invited him on location once and actually spoke with him about selection, what to cross with what etc.
But apparently no more input from DJ was wanted after that and he was no longer included.
Left a sour taste in his mouth, no doubt. And is likely the reason why there were no more official collaborations in the future.
Sag and DP straight up ripped him off and never included him in anything. Just used his name and his genetics to sell their junk.

In the end I believe that Steve was widely pardoned by the community because his results were at least noteworthy and different. They were certainly "en vogue" and in some ways, still are today.

But in the end I would say SoL is more DJ Short's work than Breeder Steve's and leave it at that.

Tynehead Tom

Is it a 8-9 weeker Tom? What about smell/taste? Always heard good things about Shiska; there´s a cutting in Spain named strawberry I think.

the plants I posted were from the only female to come from 2 seeds that made it out of 10 that I had in my stash all these years. I started them the same time as Ustad's shiskaberry 3 f2.
Shiskaberry F1 from back in the day showed us basically 4 main expressions when we grew out 75 seeds in one pop. One we kept for 9 years, was a heavy yielder and turning amber in the trichomes at 45 days. finishing times varied from 45 days to 60 days for the ones that leaned to the blueberry side. Like the one I posted pics of here.
I took this one at 50 days but should have left it another week.

I don't mind Chimera chiming in , he was around in those circles back in the day, much like myself, however I had to leave the breeding scene due to life paths leading me elsewhere. I value any input that sets the record straight. No one has ever corrected or offered input on the shiskaberry like chimera has so I take it in stride ;)

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
You have been badmounthing Steve for years; even you called him "unstable" at some point in this same forum. When he wasn´t around anymore of course...on top of that schnazzleberry was made with Shiskaberry and DJ´s BB Male pollen, you can deny it if you want.
Where lets you that Chimera?:wave:

Yawn -8 post newbs have little credibility, say what you want.

Facts are facts, you can try to spin it in a different way... I posted the historical genetic facts of the crosses to correct the record. If you want to call that bad mouthing, or bring up old shit that's on you hoss.

zirt

We were talking plants and you came with that old beef that´s all.
Not interested in childish fights.

Talk Afghanis... have you ever heard about the Afghani Pink Marble?
Really expensive. The bathrooms of the suite of the most expensive Hotel of my City are of Afghan Pink Marble.
May be Sam saw the quarry when he was there...:)

oceangrownkush

Veteran
We were talking plants and you came with that old beef that´s all.
Not interested in childish fights.

Talk Afghanis... have you ever heard about the Afghani Pink Marble?
Really expensive. The bathrooms of the suite of the most expensive Hotel of my City are of Afghan Pink Marble.
May be Sam saw the quarry when he was there...:)

He hardly "came with old beef" - despite what Berner might have you thinking breeders are not rappers, the best breeders are fastidious nerds and little bullshit misinformation like that deserves to be corrected.

Carry on gents.

Tynehead Tom

has anyone here tried Soraya from Bodhi? (afkanastan x snow lotus)

Jordan of the Islands used to have some good afghan lines but it has been 15+ years since I've grown any of his stuff.
I won an auction on seedbay for Verdant Green's cross of Atomic Northern lights x Tom Hill Deep Chunk..... gonna be some straight up affie fire in these beans I'm hoping :D

corky1968

Veteran
Probably the closest I ever came to a real Afghani, Kush or whatever that never stepped foot in a seed bank was
about 20 years ago. When I went to a house party with a brother and his girlfriend in Southern Ontario. The house
was filled with people of Middle Eastern descent. At one point the party animals, went outside and they sparked up
some joints that just reeked something fierce. I've never smelt anything like it since. Even the RSC Lebanese I grew
didn't smell anything like it. Their ethnic cooking was great as well.

The smell was not sweet smelling at all. Almost smelled like some type of oil burning or grease. But what a high.

While everybody was toking, I was on a lookout for seeds like a seagull looking for McDonald's french fries in a parking lot. :biggrin:

I didn't want to get stoned when I smelled this. All I freaking wanted is to know more about this strain and where
on Earth can I get seeds. Unfortunately, most of these people either didn't understand what I was saying or didn't
want to let some little white boy get their precious Landrace.

BTW: I'm not sure if it will ever happen. But it would be wild to just go on a trip once in my life to some faraway land to get seeds directly form the growers.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
I recently did a few runs with afghaan seeds from the source. They werent all that. While different and strong, they tasted and smelled nasty. In a bad way.

Herijuana was a let down, too. While there ARE good and powerful phenos to be found, the majority of the stuff I found in it was mediocre.
KO Kush was good stuff but you need to veg them a while to get some size on them. Baseball bats, they were.

Doesnt Mr Nice carry a pure affie? Maybe in limited releases?
Thats where'd Id take a stab, IF he offers them. Ive never been disappointed by Mr Nice gear. Ever.

FWIW....

zirt

Afghans are like blocks of marble, hardy plants that need some polishing to shine trough. Hybrids made with afghans and other unrelated cultivars, are usually of a superior quality -both tastewise and effectwise-, than pure afghan landraces.

The flour of bread.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Herijuana was a let down, too. While there ARE good and powerful phenos to be found, the majority of the stuff I found in it was mediocre.

Herijuana is actually a hybrid, not pure affie

Was that S annie's Heri? Cause i've grown Motarebels Heri and those plants were mad-potent, sure some stronger than others, but really strong stuff over all.

Hybrids made with afghans and other unrelated cultivars, are usually of a superior quality -both tastewise and effectwise-, than pure afghan landraces.

The flour of bread.

And this is why many Afghan hash-cultivars are actually hybrids already, like Mazar i shariff-lines

zirt

Quite true considering the lack of selective breeding. Deep Chunk looks quite IBL. The weakest point of Afghans is taste/flavour IMO a direct consecuence of the harsh environment.

But when crossed with Thai,South Indian or Mexican ( Blue Family/White Family/Skunk) there is a clear improvement.
In Milder climates you get + fruity/flavourfull terpenes.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Quite true considering the lack of selective breeding. Deep Chunk looks quite IBL. The weakest point of Afghans is taste/flavour IMO a direct consecuence of the harsh environment.

But when crossed with Thai,South Indian or Mexican ( Blue Family/White Family/Skunk) there is a clear improvement.
In Milder climates you get + fruity/flavourfull terpenes.

Ive been thinking on this for a couple days.
Because I always thought Affy/Paki's imbued amazing stastes and flavors. Yes, there is a harshness to hashplants. But i think this comes down to how hashplants/kushes have been bred for centuries and the way they are meant to be smoked.
These genetics were cultivated and bred for sieving and charas hashmaking. So it makes sense that, with affys, smoking flowers would be harsh while smoking hash would be an explosion of fruity and floral flavors.
Are there any berry flavored strains that dont contain some Affy?

igrowone

Veteran
i've just popped one of the infamous old mazar freebies
my first afghan landrace grow, though some might describe it differently
anyhow, this seemed the best place for any experiences and thoughts about this line
i saw one post calling it more of a commercial pakistani type, which conjures up visions of a rope factory

justiceman

Veteran
This is an interesting thread. Pretty cool I must say.

I have this DNA Pure Afghan that I've kept in veg. Due to space limitations I have not flowered her out yet. To be honest I don't know if it's legitimate afghani landrace or not.

She grows slow as hell. She's very short. Doesn't branch out much. Just very compact overall except the fan leaf stems are long. Extremely resilient
picture.php

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
What about homegrown fantaseeds afghan?recently I found a bit of seeds of hindu kush(2002) it was a mix of sensi/nirvana,I should try to plant them .....

igrowone

Veteran
doubt this would be called a best, but a kind of interesting pheno from the old mazar freebies
i'm seeing a 3 branch node, kind of like trifoliate, but not really a trifoliate
looks healthy otherwise, any thoughts/experiences on anything like that?