What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Feminized Seeds worth it?

gnaut

I figure this is a good start for my first post.

I've been doing extensive research on growing, indoors and such. And is it worth it to attempt to skip germinating and sexing batch seeds and just going straight to feminized seeds?

After doing some reading, many swear by it and some say that having the feminized seeds turn hermans makes it not worth it, and you should just do it the old fashioned way. I'd like to get others opinions and if anyone has any experience with feminized seeds, and from what vendors did you buy from, that would be awesome.

DaPurps

They are worth it to me. I grow only for the buds and have no need for any males. It is great knowing you can start the bean and give it proper attention and a big container and not be wasting time and space.

This is my first Fem bean, a Female Seeds Company "Ice". It is indeed a female.

picture.php

Im going to have a hard time convincing myself to buy standard seeds again unless I want to breed something for personal seeds.

T

thesloppy

I've grown out female seeds from Nirvana, Greenhouse, White Label, and Flying Dutchmen without any problems at all. The only bad experience I've had involved a batch of female Hempstar seeds from Dutch Passion that were prone to hermie, for whatever that's worth. Some strains themselves are more sensitive/prone to hermaphrodism than others, and that can play (more of) a role as well, and should be considered if you're super concerned about the possibility.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
hey there gnaut- big welcome to icmag. i only do a once a year grow for personal stash and have become a big believer in high quality female seeds. currently i'm growing greenhouse slh and rp's og kush 18, both female strains (grow thread in strains and hybrids section). its nice to know that i'm not wasting time and light and space on males as i have no interest in breeding. i'll let the pro's do that. in the 5 or so years that i've been using female seed, mainly from greenhouse, i've never had a hermie

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I got a good question to add to this thread- when you find a keeper fem seed do they clone well or are they more prone to hermi after cloning? I ask cuz a breeder told me that if Im looking for a mother to clone then I should go with regular but if Im just tryn ta flower that fems is where its at.

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
when you find a keeper fem seed do they clone well or are they more prone to hermi after cloning? ..My answer to that is yes...second part no.. But it could be the other way as well.. But can anyone say for sure with regular seed. Their are to many variables to say for sure ...I ask all the people who buy clones from dispensary are they reg seed moms or fem seed mom..who knows and who cares all people worry about is the finish product we all love...

gnaut

Appreciate the responses, my main worry is the chance of having them herm and wasting time and money.

I've been looking at seed banks as of lately, and I'm about ready to purchase my seeds, now I'm just wanting to know what strains are prone to herming if any, if anyone has any suggestions or anymore comments it'd be much appreciated!

V

vonforne

Female seeds is the top of the list. Dinafem is another. GHS is good but stay away from Dutch Passions. DP has lots of hermie problems.

I had the Grapefruit from Female seeds for a couple of years and not one ever hermied. Cloned the shit out of them also. 2 Phenos. One large yeilder and one real sweet tasting. Good shit.

Good luck.

V

GuerrillaG

Oh boy I hope they don't hermie easily.

I just ordered new fem seeds for mothers. I'll be running dual sog flower rooms so this makes me nervous.

djonkoman

Veteran
I like regular, but that's also because I like to make seeds myself, wich I can trade to get new genetics or to have enough to waste a few
weeding out the males is a simle task so I don't really see much profit in fem seed, I do grow outdoor only tough so the space isn't really a problem for me
I see fem seed as a way for breeders to make money
altough I can also see the worth of them for some other people, but for me it's much more profitable to grow out regular seeds

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've been using CH9 female seeds for a while now. No males and plenty of vigor in their hybrids. Female seeds make the entire process easier to do as a whole and for planning purposes.

-Funk

BlueGrassToker

There is nothing about the method of feminizing seeds that would make them any more prone to showing intersex than their regular bred siblings. Nor is there anything to the myth that a plant that came from feminized seeds will not clone...or any other anomaly for that matter.
A good mother can be found from a plant that was grown from feminized seeds. In fact, I would be willing to bet that there are well known commercial strains on the market that every one loves, and if the truth be told their P1 was from a feminizing.
I would venture to say that there are lots of forcings and selfings going on before we see the final product hit the banks.

As far as their worth...it is obvious they hold worth. Just for the reasons stated above.
Piece of mind is worth lots for some. And you can rest assured that the myths are just that...myths.

vonforne suggested to steer away from DP offerings. That stems from them making poor selections a good while back. And the result of those poor selections yielded intersex prone plants released to the public. That was all it took to tarnish their reputation. Thing is, it started a good bit of story telling and speculating. The conventional wisdom for some was that ALL feminized offerings must be hermie prone. And when one has half of a bit of understanding that a plant must be forced to produce hermie to make a feminized seed, it makes sense to them that it must be true that all fems are hermie prone.
BUT, it just isn't so.
It may well be that DP straightened out their game and made new P1 selections for their fem offerings...but the damage was done. And like many things in the free market, when you put out crap you may have to pay the price for doing so.
And even if they have figured it out, vonforne is doing you right by warning you.
His warning concerns the practices of the vendor, and not the method of feminizing itself.

gnaut

Thanks for the warning on DP, and I agree, simple mistakes can ruin a reputation.

@funkervogt - thanks for the tip

Big Eggy

Veteran
Back when I was cab growing I had a female seeds white widow clone herm on me, only one single male flower but it was due to light stress.. It pollenated my c99 and made a great batch of femed wwxc99. The guy who gave me the clone said he'd been growing it for years without any problems. This year i'm gonna see what the selfed seeds do outdoors.. Surly they are geneticly identical to the original clone?

Very helpFull! I grew out some 3Fem WW seeds last year and they worked out great, had 3 diff phenos and no Hermie.

I Have not Bought fems since then but i think i may start after starting 8 seeds only getting 3 Fem plants out of the deal is a pretty big blow to a small grower. My fault but FEM seeds would make life alot easier to plan.

go4broke

Hey Gnaut. I buy both kinds of seeds, and have grown mothers and taken clones from both types with no problems (other than those i caused myself). I buy regular if the breeder doesn't offer a femmed version of something i want. The femmed seeds save time by letting me take cuttings and vegging them in my setup without having to sex them. Awhile back i started 4 plants from seeds saved from some good mids and wound up with 3 males. I would of gladly spent 40$ on some femmed seeds. I still got some good smoke but not as much as i could of . Iv'e grownseeds from greenhouse-- nirvana--big budda--barnetys and others and have only had one plant pop a nanner on a lower bud. I got 6 seeds from that small nug and planted them oudoors. The self pollinated seeds will come up all girls. I didn't find one seed in any of those nugs. Iv'e used the attuitude seedbank many times with out any problems. Sometimes you gotta balance time/money/needs/and wants against each other. So good luck with your grow and when in doubt just GO4BROKE

Latest posts

Latest posts