What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Worming 101

nono_fr

There is an alien worms invasion in North america ! :alien:

the scientific news speak about earthworms . I tanslate to you : https://www.techno-science.net/actualite/menace-vers-N22182.html

The threat of worms

Not all invasive species are visible to the naked eye. In many parts of North America, there are now more invasive species than native species... earthworms.

In a sense, these invaders have benefited from the ice age. Large areas of the northern parts of the continent lost most of their earthworms during the last ice age and still had not recovered them a few centuries ago when humans arrived from Europe. Since then, the situation has changed: of the 308 species recorded in North America, a quarter originate elsewhere. In Canada, three quarters are from elsewhere.

And considering that earthworm species in general cover large areas of the world, it is not surprising that a recent study, pre-published on 29 June, estimated that 'foreign' worms are present in 97% of the regions analysed.

One might think that, among the so-called "invasive" species, earthworms are only a minor nuisance since one of their functions is to enrich the soil, which in turn can be useful for agriculture. The downside, however, revealed earlier this year by another study, is that in Alberta forests, the biodiversity of insects and spiders decreases as the worms arrive. Other studies, also focused on forests in the US and especially Canada, have shown a decline in recent years in certain types of plants and possibly in sugar maples. And things will not get any better with warming, which will offer some of these species warmer territories even further north.

If getting rid of them is out of the question, at least we can slow down their progress: the authors of the 29 June study point out that it is human activities that facilitate the migration of earthworms, between the soil trapped in our boots and that transported by our tyres. A little clean-up would greatly limit the ambitions of these little creatures, whose rate of movement is estimated at 10 metres per year.

and this one https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.06.27.497722v1

Global worming: massive invasion of North America by earthworms revealed​

Human activities cause major ecological changes by reshuffling the spatial distribution of species. The extent to which this process affects belowground biota is a critical issue because soil organisms play a key role in ecosystem functioning and maintenance. However, the magnitude of the reshuffling of soil species remains unknown so far because of the lack of a historic baseline. Here, we begin to fill this gap with the largest spatiotemporal database of native and alien earthworms in North America. Our results reveal that the entire continent is being invaded by non-native earthworms through a variety of pathways. We show that these aliens bring novel ecological functions in most regions and thus represent a major threat to native ecosystems. Our findings demonstrate that earthworms, and most likely other soil organisms, represent a major but overlooked pool of invasive species with strong ecological impact. They need to be better integrated in control and mitigation strategies.

:smoweed:

Growdo Baggins

I heard this guy on kis organics podcast, he was great. I've been looking over his website for the past hour learning about compost tea brewers. It was very helpful thank you for posting it. I saved the link I'll be hitting this up a lot.

Growdo Baggins

I always have crazy ants infiltrate my worm bin. They kill worms eventually. Anyone have problems with ants and solutions?
I'd be very angry at those ants. I watched my bin for a good long while to be sure that the mites in there weren't hurting my worms. I get fiercely protective of those guys. A few weeks ago, like a fucking idiot, I dumped a bowl of fermented strawberries and apples, that had accumulated a bunch of liquid at the bottom, directly into my bin. It didn't occur to me until I went back 10 minutes later, to worms hundreds of dead worms, that I dumped a bowl of alcohol into my my bin of life. I lost sleep that night. In fact i didn't stop thinking about it until the alcohol smell went away and the worms stopped trying to escape. It took about 2 days.

There was a bio-agent that I was reading about for getting rid of ants from compost piles, but I'm not sure how well it would work for a worm bin. It basically did something to the eggs which would hopefully cause the ants to relocate to protect them. If there nesting in there it would assume it would work. But if those fuckers are going in just to eat the worms, I'd fuck them up with something. Have you tried encircling your bin with something. Maybe diatomaceous earth or some such. I've never used it before, but it's supposed to work on insects with exoskeletons. I think.

Azeotrope

Veteran
I have a no paper/cardboard rule for my bins. I try to feed them an extremely diverse set of inputs and always strive to have plenty of rabbit, sheep, alpaca, or llama manure available for them as well.