What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Goats' Grows

Goats

I just got a pack of the albert supertramp and the arcata ghost :good:

Fuck that looks good.

I bought my dad some LVTK, and Albert Supertramp.

yeah the albert sounds good. he says it's the one to get if you can only get one of the new ones. and you can't go wrong with the lvtk it seems. he said the best plant he's ever seen was from a lvtk bean. i suppose it's in his interest to say that, but they seem to produce nice plants nonetheless.

also interested in the gorilla wreck 4.

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
Great pics, great flowers!

Ur description of LVTK #1 is pretty much what I found thru all of them, but with various intensities. U hit the nail on the head; I keep smelling it trying to describe it accurately, it’s this intoxicating mix of lemon (not sweet tho) and some kind of rotten fruit or rotten something funk. Really produced some excellent flowers.

Goats

been smoking away on all 4 plants harvested recently. i've squished some of 3 of the strains and they all produce great rosin. the og yields really well in the press.

i processed the trim from the harvest recently with dry ice.

my old lady has a decent macro lens for her phone so she snapped a shot in the hash jar. the lvtk#1 was the smallest contributor of trim but its smell dominates the hash. super sticky, terpy stuff.
just waiting on some more 35 micron bags and then it has a date with the rosin press. i hope they get here soon before i smoke all of it!

picture.php

Dirt Bag

Hey Goats, great threads. We're thinking about switching from hydroton & growstone to coco. Do you use any particular brand of fabric pot? We're wondering how nutrient solution is passing through them. How long and deep are yours flooded? Do you have any issues with pots floating? Do you have any issue with fungus gnats? If so, how do you deal with them? We want to have all of our ducks in a row before we change.

nickman

Veteran
Unreal Goat. Now that’s some bag appeal. I want that triple nova, lvtk, Albert supertramp and the electric Larry land ...!!!...

Nice work .

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Dirtbag, sprinkle a little de on top of the medium. It'll stop those knats. Goats I e got a few questions on your setup as well. With the coco in the fabrics, do you ever have any clogged pump issues? I'm assuming you recirculate. Is there a big swing in EC?

Goats

Hey Goats, great threads. We're thinking about switching from hydroton & growstone to coco. Do you use any particular brand of fabric pot? We're wondering how nutrient solution is passing through them. How long and deep are yours flooded? Do you have any issues with pots floating? Do you have any issue with fungus gnats? If so, how do you deal with them? We want to have all of our ducks in a row before we change.

thanks for the kind words :tiphat:

the pots we use are called geo pots. they're just one of the choices for fabric pots at my local store. cheap and work well enough. i use them 1 run each, i can't be bothered to clean them of coco and roots.

water passes through them easily so there are no issues saturating the coco.

i flood 1-3x/day for 10 mins each time. the water makes it about 1/2-2/3 of the way up the pots and the coco wicks so everything gets saturated. no issues with plants floating because after the very first watering after transplant they never get dry again so they're never light enough to float. i just hand water after transplant to avoid them tipping on the first flood.

never dealt with fungus gnats and i'm thankful of that. SG suggested some diatomaceous earth should you run into that problem.

the biggest thing i've found with flood and drain in coco has been salt buildup and lockout. if i do a flush during res change things seem to stay alright. we generally only do it every 2-3 weeks or so.

directly from resinryder, who helped me out a lot with my questions about flood and drain in coco.
"Yeah you can get salt build up. Some nute lines are worse than others. Thats why I quit using the GH 3 part line. Hella salt buildup. I flush my smart pots out and spray off the outside of the pots to remove any algae every 2 weeks when I change nutes anyway. Just take a water wand water straight from the well. I flush the pots 2-3 times each just cause I'm kinda anal about it, lol . This way I flush out any buildup in the pot and get the outsides of the smart pots cleaned off.
The first flush is surprisingly dark and by the third flush the water is light brown nearly clear. Sets me up for 2 more problem free weeks"

Goats

Dirtbag, sprinkle a little de on top of the medium. It'll stop those knats. Goats I e got a few questions on your setup as well. With the coco in the fabrics, do you ever have any clogged pump issues? I'm assuming you recirculate. Is there a big swing in EC?

never any clogs. the fabric pots keep the coco inside really well. bits of coco do make their way into the flood table, but so far no problems to report :biggrin:

my experiences in flood and drain have been with jacks hydro and veg+bloom only, but it seems that if we change out the reservoir every week, pH and EC swings are minimal and manageable.

How often are you changing your res? How big is it?

usually every week, but sometimes it goes two weeks in veg or early flower. 25 gallons

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
DAMNIT GOATS! WE NEED ANSWERS!!! lol. Seriously though, pretty interesting method. I didn’t know you could do f & d coco

Goats

Do you reuse the coco? How long are you vegging before flip?

i do not reuse the coco or the pots. after a run they are a mess with roots and coco. i tried cleaning one once and that was the end of that idea.

the plants generally go into the flood and drain system when they need transplanting from the small 4.5 inch pots i use. then they go into 1-3 gallon fabric pots and into the big tent. it generally takes 5-8 weeks to fill the 4x4 tent with 4 plants. i would like to get them bigger before they go in, but the veg area is really small. :tiphat:

Goats

DAMNIT GOATS! WE NEED ANSWERS!!! lol. Seriously though, pretty interesting method. I didn’t know you could do f & d coco

thanks! it is interesting for sure. i don't know if i would say it's ideal. i am still learning more each time we do a run, but we are figuring out what works for us.

i think ultimately i should adapt the system to be DTW, which would probably improve growth rates and eliminate the buildup issues this system is prone to.

maybe some more research is in order on DTW :biggrin:

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I say keep doing this method. :yes: It seems to be treating you right. I’ve thought about switching from soil to coco dtw but it seems like a lot of extra water and nutrient than I’m used to using. I’d almost feel wasteful using that much water/nutrient per day. :dunno: Especially pouring all that run off down the drain...

Dirt Bag

I say keep doing this method. :yes: It seems to be treating you right. I’ve thought about switching from soil to coco dtw but it seems like a lot of extra water and nutrient than I’m used to using. I’d almost feel wasteful using that much water/nutrient per day. :dunno: Especially pouring all that run off down the drain...

We too are interested in a higher quality product. Conservation is the main reason we initially chose ebb and flow and a reusable medium, eliminating the recurring expense and more importantly, eliminating the need to dispose of the used. This of course comes with a downside: rock cleaning. But I've developed a rather simple, however time consuming, process that works. We haven't purchased medium in years.