What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Behind The Science

Nup

Well Mystic, thanks for sharing this recipe. And on top of that thanks for taking the time to work on it and give us the “ready” version.
Funny how little there seems to be on the Internet about people using this test.

The results seems great once you have it down.
Have you thought of trying to use some UV spectroscopy to get better detail in results? Noticed you said you’d even gotten some pure CBD, nearly everything needed!

Hopefully by May I’ll have the reagents and be ready to give it a go. Exciting stuff. I’ll be sure to post.

Also you said that people could share their grows with your gear, do you have some seeds up on seedbay? You’ve got yourself an interesting lab. Cheers.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Awesome stuff guys. ;)
Haven't been able to focus on personal projects lately, so I'm very happy to see progress continuing. Keep i :)t up.

Mystic Funk

Well Mystic, thanks for sharing this recipe. And on top of that thanks for taking the time to work on it and give us the “ready” version.
Funny how little there seems to be on the Internet about people using this test.

The results seems great once you have it down.
Have you thought of trying to use some UV spectroscopy to get better detail in results? Noticed you said you’d even gotten some pure CBD, nearly everything needed!

Hopefully by May I’ll have the reagents and be ready to give it a go. Exciting stuff. I’ll be sure to post.

Also you said that people could share their grows with your gear, do you have some seeds up on seedbay? You’ve got yourself an interesting lab. Cheers.

thanks Nup!
i haven't tried the uv spectroscopy. i think that's a little out of my price range. lol! :biggrin:
i'm going to try and make a color chart to compare to but it's going to take some work because i'll have to get some samples lab tested to get it right on.

i had some gear on the bay and i have a few testers here that ran my Item #9 and some still do. there's a thread on item #9 here. i also have testers and friends from another site i share with and they post up there and thought they might want to post up here too.

thanks for stopping by!

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

Mystic Funk

hey guys!
here's another line i'm working on. it's called SuperCritical.
this is a cross of my very frosty/fuely Double Dubb to a skunky/garlic Critical Mass lines.
these are very smelly plants. most of them have a fuely garlic smell to them and they have a powerful head/body high that does a number on me.

the last time i grew these out i found a couple phenos that looked normal in veg and early flower but once the resin started pouring on the leaflets started clawing and i thought maybe they had too much nitrogen but the rest of the plants didn't have this trait. so i flowered some clones of these again and they did the same thing.

picture.php

picture.php

claw phenotypes
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace!
-mystic

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Nice. Your fan leaves look like you wax them. I can remember my Mother waxing the leaves on her rubber plant back in the 50's. LOL

Question.... do you re-use the plastic 1.5ml centrifuge vials that you use for testing?

I believe some of my inconsistent test results may be caused by cross contamination from the vials and the cheapo plastic pipettes.

Curious if you rinse and re-use your plastic.

Nup

thanks Nup!
i haven't tried the uv spectroscopy. i think that's a little out of my price range. lol! :biggrin:
i'm going to try and make a color chart to compare to but it's going to take some work because i'll have to get some samples lab tested to get it right on.

i had some gear on the bay and i have a few testers here that ran my Item #9 and some still do. there's a thread on item #9 here. i also have testers and friends from another site i share with and they post up there and thought they might want to post up here too.

thanks for stopping by!

peace!

For sure! Even looking on ebay for uv-vis instruments is frightening.
There is the odd "cheap" unit though, spotted a company selling a portable one for ~400 usd. Still a fair investment, and i don't know enough to judge whether or not its specs are good enough - or what they're really capable of.

Had a look through the #9 thread also, some plant, do wish smello-vision was a thing! The plants you posted reminded me of that fluffy cheese look i have associated with that name.
Keep on keeping on man!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have been making capsules from coconut oil and rosin. The mix is 2 grams of rosin to a teaspoon of oil. Tiny pinch of sunflower lecithin.

Makes about 8 ml of oil. Enough for 8 caps. So, each cap is about 1/4 gram of rosin.

I decarb the rosin 240/40. 240F for 40 minutes in a Pyrex dish. When I remove it from the oven, I add the oil and lecithin and stir it together until all the little dots are gone and everything is blended smooth.

Then, I use an eye dropper to fill the caps and into the fridge.

I have been trying to dose, which is very difficult for me since my tolerance is so high. I took 1 capsule (approx .25 gram rosin) and it did nothing. 2 did nothing. 3 did nothing. I have 4 left. Before I took all 4 and felt nothing, I thought I would run the tests and see what I got. LOL

I ran the tests using the oil straight from the caps. I used a tiny speck resembling the 3 drops outlined in the tests. The THC went instantly blue/purple, then dark dark purple. The CBD went hard red/purple.

This pot that I used tested very very low in CBD so I knew something was wrong.

I ran the tests again using the tiniest dot of oil. Again, the tests showed high THC, only this time the CBD was more in line.

Pic 1. Test 1. Oil used
Pic 2. Test 1. Results
Pic 3. Test 2. Oil used
Pic 4. Test 2. Results
Pic 5. Compare of THC test 1 vs test 2.
Pic 6. Compare of CBD test 1 vs test 2.

Mystic Funk

I have been making capsules from coconut oil and rosin. The mix is 2 grams of rosin to a teaspoon of oil. Tiny pinch of sunflower lecithin.

Makes about 8 ml of oil. Enough for 8 caps. So, each cap is about 1/4 gram of rosin.

I decarb the rosin 240/40. 240F for 40 minutes in a Pyrex dish. When I remove it from the oven, I add the oil and lecithin and stir it together until all the little dots are gone and everything is blended smooth.

Then, I use an eye dropper to fill the caps and into the fridge.

I have been trying to dose, which is very difficult for me since my tolerance is so high. I took 1 capsule (approx .25 gram rosin) and it did nothing. 2 did nothing. 3 did nothing. I have 4 left. Before I took all 4 and felt nothing, I thought I would run the tests and see what I got. LOL

I ran the tests using the oil straight from the caps. I used a tiny speck resembling the 3 drops outlined in the tests. The THC went instantly blue/purple, then dark dark purple. The CBD went hard red/purple.

This pot that I used tested very very low in CBD so I knew something was wrong.

I ran the tests again using the tiniest dot of oil. Again, the tests showed high THC, only this time the CBD was more in line.

Pic 1. Test 1. Oil used
Pic 2. Test 1. Results
Pic 3. Test 2. Oil used
Pic 4. Test 2. Results
Pic 5. Compare of THC test 1 vs test 2.
Pic 6. Compare of CBD test 1 vs test 2.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60784&pictureid=1826533View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60784&pictureid=1826534View Image

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60784&pictureid=1826535View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60784&pictureid=1826536View Image

very cool man!
nice work you did there!
as far as you not getting high, i'd ditch the weed with CBD in it and get a super high THC line like a haze line or something and smoke a joint of it and you can bug out for a few days. lol or it sounds like you need a couple hits of some Double Dubb so you can melt into the couch for a couple hours. :biggrin:

peace!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks bud. This whole deal has been a lot of fun for me. And, I learned a bunch too. So thank you. :)

Couple kind of off topic questions.

Do you ever re-use the plastic centrifuge vials? Even after soaking in ISO, I feel I was getting cross contamination.

And, (sorry, this ones really off topic) I just got my TLC supplies and it seems critical to be precise with the amount of sample placed on the plates. 2 uL is a pretty darn small drop. I have some micro-pipettes that came with the kit but I am looking at something like this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scitecher-Adjustable-Laboratory-Micro-Pipette-Pipettor-Single-Channel-0-5-10ul/322871158886?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The TLC test calls for 1 - 3 microliters of test extract for each test. Those little glass pipettes that came with the kit look like they leave a lot to error. Do you know if those "automatic" pipettes are worth the money? Are they really accurate (I did read the accuracy specs but I don't know if +_5% is good or bad).

Anyway, sorry to run off topic a little but you're so smart I wanted to ask someone who's answer I trust. :)

Thanks again

EDIT: This is the kind of pipette that came with the kit...

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 31

Mystic Funk

Thanks bud. This whole deal has been a lot of fun for me. And, I learned a bunch too. So thank you. :)

Couple kind of off topic questions.

Do you ever re-use the plastic centrifuge vials? Even after soaking in ISO, I feel I was getting cross contamination.

And, (sorry, this ones really off topic) I just got my TLC supplies and it seems critical to be precise with the amount of sample placed on the plates. 2 uL is a pretty darn small drop. I have some micro-pipettes that came with the kit but I am looking at something like this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scitecher-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The TLC test calls for 1 - 3 microliters of test extract for each test. Those little glass pipettes that came with the kit look like they leave a lot to error. Do you know if those "automatic" pipettes are worth the money? Are they really accurate (I did read the accuracy specs but I don't know if +_5% is good or bad).

Anyway, sorry to run off topic a little but you're so smart I wanted to ask someone who's answer I trust. :)

Thanks again

EDIT: This is the kind of pipette that came with the kit...

hey man.
no i don't reuse the test vials because they are so cheap and can be bought by the thousand for pennies. plus most of them become stained by the reaction and are useless at that point.
if you want to reuse things like this, buy lab grade pyrex glass vials and you can wash them well and reuse them over and over again.

those lab grade pipettes are probably the best you're going to get with measuring such a small amount quickly and they will lessen human error because you just hit the button and it gives you the same amount each time.
this goes without saying but the more money you spend on equipment like this the better your results will be and everything will be the same each time you do it. also its good to take lots of notes any time you do the tests so you can learn from your mistakes.

peace!
-mystic

MR_Falcon

Veteran
for sure still rockin' the item#9

for sure still rockin' the item#9

cool thread mystic. the item#9 is some super dope, dope. its a chunky, tropical fruit, pina colada while growing & the cheese becomes very savory & pungent when curing up:yummy:. a very enjoyable toke. here's some older shots, I'm about to flip 2 to flower so hopefully I'll get a few decent new pics.

picture.php

picture.php

:rtfo:

Mystic Funk

cool thread mystic. the item#9 is some super dope, dope. its a chunky, tropical fruit, pina colada while growing & the cheese becomes very savory & pungent when curing up:yummy:. a very enjoyable toke. here's some older shots, I'm about to flip 2 to flower so hopefully I'll get a few decent new pics.

View Image

View Image
:rtfo:

that looks killer man! nice job! :tiphat:

can't wait to see this run and glad to see you're still running the #9's

peace!
-mystic

growingcrazy

BubbaDubb Day 36

BubbaDubb Day 36

picture.php

First run of her indoors. Appears S.Dubb dominate. Sour fuel smell, more sour flavor.

Sante

In DoPa
....Note: that #5 and #6 turned a green color. i have never seen this before and i'll have to retest these two and see if i get a different result...
Hi
First of all thanks for sharing and for the detailed explanation.

did you understand why this coloring?

I ' like to know where can I read the preparation with chloroform (even if toxic) and what changes adopting that..more accurate test or simply faster?

*Last questions are if can I dilute 99.9% isopropyl alcohol with distilled water to reach the process instructions correct concentration and if are there any alternative to synthetic vanillin by any chance.

Best regards and thanx again.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
I don’t know if most of you guys know about these simple test kits you can make at home, but you can test for THC and CBD cannabinoids at home with some pretty simple lab supplies and chemicals that you can buy on eBay or Amazon for cheap.

These are great tool to have around if you are breeding for a curtain cannabinoids or want to test something you just bought.

These are color indicating tests. You will start out with a somewhat clear liquid and it will change to blue or purple depending on the test. I will talk about this later.

I first found out about these tests when I saw a guy on youtube selling color indicating cbd tests for the home breeder for around $50 for three tests, so I did some research and found out that this was a well known test that was developed decades ago. It’s called a ‘’beam test’’. I also found out there’s another test that’s called ‘’the Duquenois reagent test” and it was developed around 1930 or so. This test is for THC and the government used it for testing the presence of cannabis in general and not for isolating just one cannabinoid. For example: a drug test or cannabis residue, like in a pipe. They found out later that there were other none cannabis compounds that would react to this test and it was not used later. But these tests will be very accurate for us to test the levels of cannabinoids in the bud we are testing because there won’t be any other contaminates. Both of these test kits can be made for pennies each.

Before I get into how the tests are made I’d like to let you know that some of the chemicals used can be very dangerous if not handled properly, so proper safety precautions are needed so as to not get hurt.

Things you will need to protect yourself:

1# Chemical resistant gloves

2# safety glasses

3# have a place nearby to wash in case of a spill or if any chemicals get into eyes. Something as simple as a large bucket of water nearby you can flush eyes or skin off quickly before running to a sink.

4# all of the chemicals used in this experiment can be washed off or neutralized with water just in case you need to in a emergence.

5# do not use anything metal when performing this experiment! A violent reaction will happen!!! No metal tools or containers can be used, only plastic, glass, rubber can be used….

6# if you don’t really know what these chemicals are don’t try and mix any of them other than the ones I say. Lye is very alkaline and hydrochloric acid is very acidic, mixing them would not be good.

7# Use caution when storing these chemicals. Keep them away from people that don’t know how to use them, it goes without saying it, but I’ll say it anyway. Keep them away from children and pets!

8# do these experiments only in a well ventilated room.

Bottom line is, think first and don’t be stupid!

Ok now that that’s out of the way, on to the fun part! I’ll start off with how you make the extract out of the bud you will be testing.

Things you’ll need:

1# A scale. I think we all have one of these lying around. One that can weigh very small amounts like tenths of a gram or one hundredths of a gram.

2# small plastic or glass jars to mix in

3# 1 or 2ml dropper

4# 100% alcohol/ethanol or as close as you can get. 90% rubbing alcohol will not work it has to be higher than that. 95% or higher. You can buy denatured alcohol at the hardware store.

5# An oven. I like to use a cheap toaster oven so as to not make my kitchen oven smell like shit. But do what you want.

The first thing you’re going to do is take about 1 gram of dry bud to be tested and place it in a piece of aluminum foil and fold it over and then fold all the edges closed.

Place the bud and aluminum foil in the oven for 30 minutes on 220f/110c to decarboxylate the sample..... let cool....
(this is to convert THCA and CBDA into THC and CBD)

Take your crispy bud out of the oven and weigh out ½ gram or .5000 on the scale in a small jar or shot glass. Now get your dropper out and put 5 grams of alcohol in the glass with the bud and mix well. Let that sit for at least one half hour then suck the liquid out and put that in another jar or glass without getting any bud material in the glass. That is your extract you will be testing.

The first test will be the Duquenois reagent test. This is for testing THC.

There are many ways to perform this test; this is just my modified version of this test. The original test called for chloroform to be used to stabilize the mixture and separate the organic layer. But chloroform is some nasty shit. This is the stuff the Nazi’s used to kill countless people. It’s very gaseous and is a silent killer when working with it. I also don’t like buying it for obvious reasons. It can be made with bleach and acetone easily if you know what you’re doing.

Things you’ll need:

1# Glass test tubes or shot glass

2# a dropper

3# hydrochloric acid 37% or higher

4# vanillin which is a synthetic vanilla

5# 100% ethenol

6# amber glass bottles with dropper built in if you want to store the reagent for later use.

We will be making the reagent first.

Weigh out 5 grams of vanillin and dissolve that in 100ml of alcohol then put in amber bottle. That is your reagent.

Get a test tube and place three drops of your cannabis extract in the test tube followed by ten drops of reagent. Mix well. Now carefully put 10 drops of hydrochloric acid in the same test tube with your reagent and extract. Mix well and wait for color change. This may take up to thirty minutes to get to its full color.

You should see a deep blue or royal purple to black color for a high THC strain and light blue or purple for a low THC strain. Little to no color change or off color means very little to no THC.

This test is best used when comparing two strains side by side or two phenotypes of the same variety so you can see the difference in color to know which one has more THC. (darker=more THC), (lighter=less THC).

I have found that One turned purple and one turned blue which can make it difficult to compare them so I just looked at how dark the colors were. In cases like this it’s best to have a known variety that you can compare to, but most of time you will get purple as your main color.

The beam test: This test is for CBD.

Things you’ll need:

1# Glass test tubes

2# a dropper

3# 100% alcohol

4# potassium hydroxide (AKA) Lye

Dissolve 5% lye into ethanol which is five grams of lye to 100ml alcohol. Mix well.

Grab a clean test tube and put three drops of extract into the test tube followed by 10 drops your dissolved lye, mix well. You should see a pink to purple color in the presence of CBD. It may take up to thirty minutes to see any color change. Pink is low CBD and purple is higher CBD.

I don’t have any CBD samples at the moment to show you, but you will get the same purple color as the THC test.

You can also play with the concentrations of the mixture or concentrate the extract by striping the ethanol and make the test more sensitive for very low THC and CBD.

i just got done growing some Harlequin and they've been curing for the last few weeks and after smoking a few phenos i noticed it got me very high and i wasn't expecting it to. i thought i'd just get a light buzz and feel sleepy but that was not the case. with the few i smoked, i felt a very powerful high and it lasted a long time, more like a couch lock feeling.

so i thought this would be the perfect line to test. it was advertised as having a 1:1 ratio of up to 12% thc/cbd and if you cut them early you'd increase the CBD% which i did in hopes of getting some nice meds.

i had nine different harlequin plants and i threw in a Supercritical sample just for shits and giggles.

out of the ten total samples i found two that showed a purple color change.

looking at the picture from left to right is one through nine of the phenos of harlequin and the tenth one is super critical.
if you notice there is one more after that, that is a very small amount of 99% pure CBD isolate for a control to make sure the test is picking up on the CBD which that sample turned a dark royal purple. this is the darkest color change you'll see with the CBD test.

View Image

so the only ones to show a good amount of CBD were #5 and #8. the others just stayed the yellow-ish orange which is the color they all were before adding the reagent to the vial.

i also thought it would be a good idea to test all of them for THC and those are a little harder to read by looking at the picture and i had to put the flash on just so the different colors would show up because without it, they all look black.

the pic is in the same order as the cbd test from left to right one through nine are harlequin and the last one is supercritical.

View Image

i'll start off by saying that they all have a fair amount of THC but #2 and #8 look to have the lowest % of THC #1 and #4 look to have mid levels of THC and #3, #7 and #9 look to have the highest out of the harlequin but it looks like the Supercritcal at the end is going to take the prize for highest THC.
Note: that #5 and #6 turned a green color. i have never seen this before and i'll have to retest these two and see if i get a different result.

here are just some of the harlequin plants i ran.
they all were super frosted and i found many delicious smelling phenos from chocolate to melon to bubblegum.

View Image

View Image

View Image

peace!
-mystic
in the cannabis extract you say 1/2 gr bud & add5 grams of alcohol? did you mean 5 ml of alcohol?
edit; after reading the hole thread i saw some where you were weighing the 5 gr of alcohol.
ive got the stuff to test the CBD,S & have the other stuff odered for tht THC test,i just wanted to make sure i got my canabis constrate made righ.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
Hey guys!
I'd like to make a thread where i could show you guys what i'm up to most days, like the breeding that i love to do most and the challenges I come upon doing it. Also Ill post up all my odds and ends like test grows, flower pics, tips and tricks i've learned along the way, cloning, organics and just the random seed pops i do to give you a "behind the scenes" look at the laboratory and the grow life of Mystic Funk.

If anyone out there is running any of my gear, feel free to post it up here and if your not and you just want to follow along or chat about any of the strains or random shit going on in this thread, hit me up!

first up is my Double Dubb line that i'm working... This is a cross of Sour double and Blue power with a little Mystic twist. The reason i made this cross was to make a regular version Sour Double line that i could preserve and to hopefully add to this great cut.
i've done a few test runs with the offspring and i'm liking what i see so far.
There are many subtle differences in the line due to it being such a young line and some further selections are needed to weed out and undesirable traits, mostly the lower yielding plants and ones that tend to stretch too much for my liking but other than that, most of the plants have a very strong skunky/fuel aroma, good resin production and structure.

i just finished up my latest test run of these and the buds have had some time to cure a bit for the smoke test. this will be the final determining factor of what plants will be bred onward.
like i said there are many phenotypes in this line and i'll mostly talk about the ones that stood out to me because that's all i care about and the rest will be chucked aside. i'm only looking for the most outstanding plants to breed with.

out of the lot of seeds popped this run, #12, #18 and #25 were the ones that stood out to me the most and i'll go through each one and give a little report on what each one is like.

#25 was the first to be tested because i liked the structure and it had more of a skunky/chem aroma than the others. i'm a sucker for skunky weed and i had to test this one first.
the flavor on #25 was thick, fuely and smooth, it could still be tasted long after the hit was gone. the high was pleasant and relaxing, it gave me that feeling behind the eyes like some pressure valve was released and i would just melt into the couch. this is a nice one for sleep.

Double Dubb #25
View Image

#18 was tested next because i needed to keep some kind of order to the testing so i wouldn't forget which one did what seeing that i started with #25.
this one was one of the frostiest phenos out of the lot and it also has a very strong odor but it's more like a rotten fuel smell. this is not be confused with a stale fuel smell, more like a body rotting and someone pour diesel on it but forgot their matches. it's loud!
the high on this pheno was much more potent than #25 and it would creep up on you after a few minutes. it gave me a full body buzz that lasted a long time. it was also hard to build a tolerance to it. pretty much it got me blasted every time.

Double Dubb #18
View Image

#12 this pheno was also one of the frostiest out of the bunch and it has more of a traditional Chem or Sour Diesel aroma with some skunky undertones.
The high on this one is in it's own league compared to the others i've tested in regards to potency. this one is a two hitter quitter for me. i first smoked it like the others and ended up staring off into spacing trying to remember what i was doing and i couldn't follow what was going on in a TV show i was watching. the simplest tasks seemed so difficult to do, i had to think about it hard as i was doing them in fear of messing it up??? lol! yeah i was very spaced out and my body felt foreign to me as i was drifting off in a daydream.... i tried this one again the next day just to make sure it wasn't the circumstance that left me feeling the way i did and i didn't hit the pipe as hard this time and i got the same blasted spaced-out feeling.
this one is definitely not one i want to smoke in pubic as people walk by and see my face melting off while i'm sitting a park bench. people might think i'm doped up hard drugs or something. LOL!

Double Dubb #12
View Image
View Image

mind you, each of these tester phenos were fully seeded which will hinder resin production, yield and potency....

peace!
-mystic
those Double Dubb look very frosty , are there any beans avabale any where?

Latest posts

Latest posts