What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

National Web Soil Survey Tool

http://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm

The NRCS branch of the USDA has a pretty cool app at the above link ^. It displays soil survey data for your selected location from several decades.

Obviously, there isn't any better option than getting your specific soil sample tested, but this does offer some pretty useful information, especially since you can narrow your area of interest down to a very small acreage. I used a 200 acre region and was able to come up with pH data, organic matter composition, percentage clay/sand/silt, CEC, water capacity, EC, and more. Again, not superior to getting my own soil tested but still pretty cool.

My grow will be incorporating some of the native soil into the mix, mostly because I don't have the budget up front to purchase loads and loads of commercial mixes. Its helpful to get an idea about some of this info to start getting a notion about what amendments might be necessary and to budget and blah blah blah.

Maybe someone will find it useful. But I'll still be getting my soil tested, and luckily the local university extension will do it fairly inexpensively.

Oh, if you decide to use it, after reading the brief instructions, you've got to click on the green START WSS button. Took me a minute :whistling: