What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A plee for your health

B

BasementGrower

i just run a few CFLS in my rooms.. since I use green light to work in the dark period if I have an emergency.. so I just switch out the green lites with normal CFLs.. turn off my ballasts and go to work.. and as I leave turn them back on.. who cares if the plants don't get a bunch of light for a little while.. bought some nice sunglasses wen I first started.. but its annoying to wear shit so.. instead I go another route.. and it works great.. plus.. turning off the lights gets it nice and cool in there.. so working isn't a problem..

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
honestly it's much less work to put on some goggles/glasses before you open the door instead of installing new lights then turning off the ballast all the time which imo probably is not the best thing, idk I just started running my first digital ballast but I don't think it is reccomended to turn off for short period of time and then back on, also if your room is not already cool that's not very good...

I appreciate the advice tho. now for those who have bought glasses which one of these look better?

http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-SX0308-ExtremePro-Infra-Dura-Supra-Dura/dp/B003N3VNHU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1375190545&sr=8-5&keywords=shade+5

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770726-Mirrored-Safety-Glasses/dp/B0086D59PE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375190545&sr=8-2&keywords=shade+5

Skyrancher

As vertical growers, you especially are vulnerable to eye damage. I highly suggest turning your HID's off when working in your room/s.

Please listen and learn from my mistakes.

Being new to indoor and vertical, I really appreciate your warning. So sorry for any eye damage that occurred, but know that your experience has helped others. Thank you for your thoughtful thread !!

D

DaveTheNewbie

i would pick the one that seals to your face better, letting in less light around the edges. When you have multiple lights and your looking about those light rays sneak in from all angles.

im guessing the hobarts would be better for this, but both look good for the job and cheap.

i just got groggles. the blue ones. I wear them over prescription glasses. they fit pretty good but if both glasses arent really clean you get eye strain. They do make things clearer under HPS but I find myself taking them off because im used to what plants look like under HPS and everything is now "weird".

Miraculous Meds

I wish I could read this thread lol...
Seriously though I tell everybody turn off the main lights while working around them, and use floros or whatever to see. Also if ur just around them but not working directly by the lights I like to use a curtain, usually some easily hung reflectix or something so I don't have to turn off the light if just being in the room and not working on the plants by the lights.

panckage

I'm not sure how growers can get by with welding goggles. If you are filling a reservoir, fine, but I can barely even see my plants with them on. It probably doesn't help my plants are only 6" away from a 250w bulb. I always take off the goggles as soon as I put them on....

I am going to fold a piece of tinfoil that I can hang it in front of the bulb when working. It should be easy to have above the bulb and then just drop down whenever I am in the tent

just want to mention what i have gleaned from eye protection in the glassblowing industry.

didymium filters the sodium flare coming off the glass, but not ir and uv. that is what causes damage to your eyes.
the glasses used for glassblowing combines didymium with welding shade filters to block sodium flare, ir, and uv.

the radiation diminishes just like the light, inverse square...
so up close( like right by the torch) levels are high, but a few feet away and you barely have to be concerned.

aura lens might be a nice place to find some info on eye protection

Gry

Easy enough to install a separate set of lighting. Eyes feel better and bulb burns always were a raw deal.