What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

quick question about cannabutter in a slow cooker

ttown

Hey guys, I have a quick question about making cannabutter in a crock pot. I'm gonna use about 12 grams of some high mid grade stuff, and 2 grams of some good hash to a stick of butter. I've read plenty posts about how to make it and have attempted once, i did it right but dont think i used quite enough(only 7g), or cooked long enough it wasnt too potent.
Last time i cooked over a stove and didnt use a lid. So this time im gonna use a crock pot, but my question was what should i put it on? Should i put water in, have it on high, add the butter then add the pot? Then turn it down to low and leave it for 4~5hrs? Also I have heard it is good to put the bud on a cookie sheet and bake it for 5min at 325 before? When I do this should it already be ground up? or should I leave it in buds and then grind it?

Thanks for taking the time to read and help me out. Peace :joint::joint::joint::joint::joint:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Grind it, heat it, boil it in butter, then eat it! Have fun, high as a kite on green milk right now myself, hehehe.

i usually add some water into the mix of bud/butter so i am able to cover all the bud. when you're done and its chilled in the fridge all the water naturally seperates from the butter anyways.

don't forget to stir!

ttown

Thanks for the replies, but I am still wodering whether to have the crock pot on low or high?

on another site with the initials of RIU (dont want to break any rules and promote competitors sites... icmag is the best one!) you can do a search for black out bud butter. the author uses a crock pot and recommends it being on high for the first hour and low for the remaining 3. he stirs very frequently on high and every 15 minutes on low

grumio

Low should be fine. The point of using water is to keep the oil from getting too hot & vaping off the active compounds. Water boils @ 212f @ sea level, a safe temp. You're looking to keep things under, I forget, 250f or so. Oil by itself can quickly get too hot.

Slow cookers, roughly, low ~200f, high ~300f. The point of starting the cooker on high is to get it up to temp quicker. You can also speed that up by preheating the oil & water on the stove or in a microwave, then putting it into the slow cooker already hot. Once the mixture is bubbling nicely, low should be fine.

If you're using enough total liquid that the herb can move around in it some as it simmers, you probably don't need to stir it every 15 minutes.

T

theJointedOne

Crock Pot Butter-
Place as much butter as you feel will be a good ratio, probably a ounce of weed/shake, two ounces of high grade trim or 3 ounces of low quality trim to a pound of butter. Fit in as much of each into the crock as possible add a cup of water to final mix

put on LOW setting, let sit on LOW over night to reach maximum potency.

strain with a fine mesh strainer, let cool and then place in fridge, wait a few hours if you can!!!

water will be on bottom, butter on top, remove water and pat herdened butter with paper towel. Divide and shape into 1/4 pound sticks and wrap with cellophane and wax paper tightly

keep cold.

get irie

ps- you can also get gourmet and do what we chefs do and make herbed butter. simply let a stick of ganja butter get just below room temp, cut up fresh herbs and spices of your choice (i.e. rosemary, dill, peppercorns, roasted garlic, or anything else you can think of) mash all the butter and herbs and spices together quickly as to not let the butter melt at all. Fold out your mixture onto a peice of cellophane and roll/work into a nice roll/stick of herbed ganja butter butter which you can impress your friends with as you place it on top of you grilled steak or toast or veggies or whatever!!!

bon appetite'

MMAJAY

I might have to try the crock pot in a few months. The last batch i made i used the stove because i felt i could watch it closely to keep the temp. perfect to simmer very slowly. I would shit if i woke up in the morning and the whole batch was ruined. I think if i do it i will do it on a sunday morning so i can keep a close eye just in case. Nothing better than some well made cookies.

My daughter the cook says it will simmer on low, boil on high so keep the temp on low. Most crockpots also have a warm setting, not to be confused with low.

ttown

okay thanks for all the help guys. I assumed putting it on high was to get things going, then you switch down to low but wanted to make sure. I made some butter using 2 sticks and a half o and made a bunch of cookies. I ate a lot and didnt feel much if anything so I'm hoping to do it right this time. Although I think it had something to do with my ratio I think I'm gonna put a half o in just one stick of butter this time. I also think it probably would have helped to have a lid on the pan but i think ive seen people not use a lid before. Maybe it was because I didnt heat the green before i cooked it like Haps said to do?

Latest posts

Latest posts