What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finishing times, Photoperiod, Latitude, and how it all works!!

R

Relik

greensouth7 said:
I am lucky enough to live just miles from the southermost point in the states. I can grow year round hear. I just veg plants under a 400 halide for 4 or 5 weeks & then set outside. I usually harvest plants every 6 or 7 weeks. Ya gotta love a subtropical climate !!!!!

Man it's funny you say that, I've been thinking about this for a perpetual outdoor! Could you give a few details, such as your min. and max. daylength? Down here I get around 11.5 hours of light at winter solstice (june 21, I'm in the southern hemisphere) and around 13.5 hours at summer solstice. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks but won't be able to actually grow this way until next year (moving to another place). Some planning doesn't hurt though...

Do you grow from seeds or clones?

Peace

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Thanks Wally and greensouth for all this great input on tropical growing, this is exactly the kind of stuff I am lookig for!

I'm also interested to hear from folks who are growing and harvesting plants that finish early or are autoflowering, basicly August/early September finishers.

G

Just for shit and giggles I planted some sprouted seeds outside on September 1st. I want to see what happens between now and the first freeze. Indica Dom.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Along the Gulf Coast(coastal bend of Texas to Florida panhandle) the transition from veg to flowering occurs around the last week of July to the first week of August for indicas or sativas. Photosensitive strains and larger more mature plants will bud if put out in early spring. If they do not finish by early June they will reveg. Seeds started outdoors in May grow normally. Clones or mature seed plants are best to be put out in late June or early July. I usually won't plant mature or clone plants after July 4 because there is not enough veg time.

I have a O.Haze x Skunk that showed its first pistils on Sept. 1. It takes this strain 30 days to show pistils. I have another sativa strain that looks about 4 weeks into it and it takes 2 weeks to show pistils. Then I have a Hashberry that has about 2-3 weeks till finish and it takes about a week to show pistils. I also put out some Kodiak Gold crosses that were grown indoors for a month and put outside. I harvested those around August 30. The Kodiak Gold just starts to flower immediately when put outside down here.

Hope that gives you a little info about the Gulf Coast. I would put up pics but it says I can't post attachments. I guess its the 50 post rule in effect. You can look in my gallery though. There is a picture of the haze and behind it is a hashberry in full bloom. You can look at my gallery but I can't put my pics in a post. :confused:

Last edited:

Kripi

My outdoor garden is in full bloom but a single large female clone isnt flowering,shes getting bigger and seems to be pre-flowering but were stuck there,im concerned,what should i do or what may be the cause of this??
help please

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Kripi- What latitude are you at? If you don't know that, what area of the world are you in?

And second, what strain is the clone?

And third, when were the plants placed outside, and what lightcycle were they on indoors?

Kripi

Blank blank is the approximate latitude.
Dont know the flavor,everything else is 4 weks into bloom but this one is just now starting to form a cluster and theres like 3 white hairs in the whole plant,the bud sites have yellowed more than the rest of the bush but no buds.
King Kripi

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
What lightcycle were they on indoors?

If these are a unknown collection of seeds, then I would say the slow one is simply a late bloomer most likely.

masterlow37

Veteran
This was a great thread idea BACKCOUNTRY, don't have a clue as to how i missed it in all this time...

Peace

Yor420

Great Thread Indeed!

Great Thread Indeed!

Yes, I agree this is a great thread and I just read it in its entirety.

I'm new, at this site, and I must say I enjoy the positive mature attitude that most of the people here demonstrate.

I think I'll stay around!

:jump: :jump: :jump: :wave:

outdoordreams

Very good thread! Im an outdoor grower from 50degrees north. Im learning lots!

Some notes from your northern friends!

Some strains will flower earlier when given smaller containers, making them root bound will induce flowering in some strains.
Also reduced nitrogen to ensure no prolonged veg.........

We also tarp alot of our outdoor gardens to ensure early finishes.
Some things to note with tarping..........
Most indica dominant plants tarped at the begging of aug, usually only need a short tarping period to induce flowering. Between 3days and 2 weeks.
Careful with Sativas, not to stop the tarping process to early. Some plants will reveg, if the natural light cycle isnt short enough. While other strains, will continue to flower even though the daylength is still longer than 12/12.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I can see why tarping would help you....... I sit about 8 degrees south of you, most Indica doms are starting to bloom here in late July to early August.

On July 21st I have 14H38M/15H45M of daylight on August 6th I have 14H15M/15H15M of daylight, you have 14h 53m/16h 06m around Aug 6th. Tarping for 1-2 weeks at 50N will get you to a photo-period on Aug 21st that is 14h 04m/15h12m long.
The timing of your tarping and artificial bloom seems to jive with the data gathered in my area.

T

TheOneWill

How you can you figure out it is the right time in your state to grow outdoor? If you don't know your longitude or latitude.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
As far as the subject of Photo-period is concerned, in the lower 48 states, anywhere from late April to Late June is usually a acceptable time to put plants outdoors , but that is only cocerning photo-period.
Usually starting times are determined by your last local frost, go to the sticky thread called "for the beginers", there will be more info there concerning finding your correct starting time.
Feel free to PM me if you are looking for more info.

PS-If you really are in the "dirty south", it is safe to assume you can grow from Late April on with no problem..........

Last edited:

NEToker

Average yield for novice growers is between 2 ounces to 6 ounces per plant on an average year. This is also about what to expect per plant from a remote guerrilla patch that doesn’t get a lot of care and attention. Experienced growers can get between 5 ounces to 10 ounces, and on a good year can reach a pound per plant with proper care and expert attention. These weights are for growers around the 49th parallel(around the Canadian/US border). And of course the farther south you grow the bigger and better the yields you can expect.

This is for a particular BC/Vancouver Strain I came across..It is considered very early..so would you say 16/8 or 18/6 veg. for at least 2 weeks...before putting them out in May

BonsaiBud

My current stock:
Bagseed indica:
took several clones at the end of reveg. Clones are under 24/0. Mothers are big, bushy monsters just coming into flower under 12/12. One stretches a bit, the other buds underneath it's leaves.

Satori:
I have one healthy clone mother. She is in continuous reveg under 24/0 along with slow-rooting clones. Once they are big enough, I'm just going to put them and the bagseed out and let them do what they will.

I'm at 36N and my climate is kinda like the Ozarks.
I'd like to be able to put out a satori and let it veg until August. Having done a total reveg in my cabinets: (24/0 sprout, veg ->12/12 flower -> 24/0 reveg), I do not want most of my outdoor crop to go through that. I now understand that I will need seed sprouts for this or perhaps:

a veg clone mother or veg mother for short. This is, from my interpretation, how Julian does his outdoor when he does clones. (He seems fond of ordering feminized seed in bulk also) But he is still not above sexing in the patch. Part of the time: he orders a pack of feminized seed. He grows them into huge clone mothers and takes thousands of clones. I'm not sure of his light cycle, but I get the impression it is 24/0. He talked about being careful not to trigger an indica dom by putting it out in late May or later. He grows up at 45N or so.

Anyway, I've only gotten to page 26 or so of MASSIVE COMMERCIAL OUTDOOR GROW, I'm also reading the end of the "book" as it goes. He doesn't seem to have any problems with early triggering. He does like to put a lot of stuff out at solstice or later.

I get the impression that his clones "work" by virtue of never knowing a dark season since they were germed. Now how to do that without fem seed or DIY fem seed? I guess I'll have to try my hand at the tag and clone to sex method. I still have several Kerala Gold under 24/0, 2 satori sprouts, and a Satori clone I took just 4 days into 12/12 (huge side-shoot, I just couldn't resist)

I guess I'm at a win/win situation right now. If I get a Satori male, then I can make more regular seed and start fresh with a pure F2. If I get a female then I will have a veg mother by means of tag-clone-sex. I would like 2 new females. I'll force-herm one with colloidal silver and knock the other up. That will give me fem Satori seeds which should know exactly what to do when I plant them in late spring. :joint:

My Kerala Gold: I've got plenty of healthy young'ns
Only problem is I don't know what if I will like the high. :bashhead:

The big one in the corner is my 4 month old reveg Satori clone mum. All the others are Kerala Gold. That Satori almost died of the symphilids. She was saved only by drastic intervention methods (Spinosad root bath). She is looking even better now.

PURPLE MIND

Hello to ya all. I'm new here, and I must say I found an incredible amount of god advice, keep on the god work fleas.

I tried to figure this out by my self, but when i saw all your experience, I decided to ask a few questions.

My plan is to harvest 70 to 80 0z this year.
Shortly i will get 20-25 clones from a friend who's pot is quite god. But I'm a bit skeptic about my success, cos I'm a bit late this year.

I plan to get the clones out on June, I calculated that they should be done on October. I'm a afraid that October could be a bit cold for the plants. How could i speed up the process, so they would be done by end of September o so?

Her is the anticipated light amount for all 4 months.

June 15/9
July 14/10
September 13/11
October 12/12

I'm afraid they will go directly to flowering once they're out :/

Do you think that the plant would veg enough under this conditions? Should I veg them under lamps first?

My dilemma is that i never used clones before, so i don't know how to treat them before putting them out. I was thinking to put them for 24/0 under light lamps than slowly decrease to 15/9.

So what do you think, could i succeed? If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

PURPLE MIND

I'm not sure on what cycle are they now, I'm concluding he's vegging them at this point. As soon as i get that info confirmed I'll post it.